6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I may be Crazy, but No EGR Delete for Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 AM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be Crazy, but No EGR Delete for Me

A week or so ago, my 2005 F350 with 184k miles lost power and died. My Edge engine monitor showed EGR circuit codes. My nephew is a master diesel tech for a Ford dealer and I had the truck hauled to their shop. He pulled the EGR valve and it was carboned up and obviously sticking. Since I plan to keep my truck for at least another 100k miles, I asked my nephew to go through it and replace whatever he felt was prone to failure. I elected to keep the OEM EGR system instead of doing an EGR delete, but replace all the components with new. Following is what my nephew replaced:

EGR valve and cooler
Oil cooler
EBP sensor
Latest generation HPOP STC fitting
Latest generation oil standpipes
Glow plugs and harnesses (mine were malfunctioning)
Block heater and harness (mine was toast)
Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Heater hose hot water valve (mine was leaking)
Fuel pressure regulator with blue spring upgrade
Fuel filters
Oil and filter
Sinister coolant filter
Coolant

In the near future, I will also add the Sinister secondary oil filter and replace the degas bottle with a metal one (probably Sinister).

I don't have the final bill yet, but it will be much less than $70k plus for a new truck.

I know some will think me crazy for not doing the EGR delete, but I'm happy with my decision.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by hi-jacker

I don't have the final bill yet, but it will be much less than $70k plus for a new truck.

I know some will think me crazy for not doing the EGR delete, but I'm happy with my decision.
Clearly all the "stuff" you had done is good "stuff". (I assume you had a "Bullet-Proof" EGR cooler (or equivalent) installed and an updated OEM oil cooler and switched to a CAT EC-1 rated coolant etc)

I don't think you're crazy at all...........and I am not arguing your decision but I am not sure I got why you made it, other than the above bill (for parts and labor) is less than replacing the truck with a new one.

The main problem with the 6.0L engine has always been the "Coolant Filter" (oil cooler) masquerading as an oil cooler.

There are some things you can do to mitigate it:

1. Newer ("updated") cooler that extends the time before becoming plugged.

2. Doing extra-ordinary coolant system flushes (that doesn't always clear out the cooler and in some cases has actually caused the cooler to become clogged)

3. Adding a "real" coolant filter. (that doesn't prevent the precipitation of "silicate-goo" in coolant)

4. Remote-mounting the OEM oil cooler (making it easier to replace when it does become clogged)

5. Replacing the OEM oil cooler with an AIR-TO-OIL cooler (BPD comes to mind) which completely solves the problem permanently.

#5 might be my choice since even if you pay someone to do it, it is also still cheaper than buying a new truck.

Regards,

Rick

Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Clearly all the "stuff" you had done is good "stuff". (I assume you had a "Bullet-Proof" EGR cooler (or equivalent) installed and an updated OEM oil cooler and switched to a CAT EC-1 rated coolant etc)

I don't think you're crazy at all...........and I am not arguing your decision but I am not sure I got why you made it, other than the above bill (for parts and labor) is less than replacing the truck with a new one.

The main problem with the 6.0L engine has always been the "Coolant Filter" (oil cooler) masquerading as an oil cooler.

There are some things you can do to mitigate it:

1. Newer ("updated") cooler that extends the time before becoming plugged.

2. Doing extra-ordinary coolant system flushes (that doesn't always clear out the cooler and in some cases has actually caused the cooler to become clogged)

3. Adding a "real" coolant filter. (that doesn't prevent the precipitation of "silicate-goo" in coolant)

4. Remote-mounting the OEM oil cooler (making it easier to replace when it does become clogged)

5. Replacing the OEM oil cooler with an AIR-TO-OIL cooler (BPD comes to mind) which completely solves the problem permanently.

#5 might be my choice since even if you pay someone to do it, it is also still cheaper than buying a new truck.

Regards,

Rick
I used OEM parts. I figure since I ran 184,000 trouble-free miles on the originals I should get 100,000 miles out of the replacements...particularly since I now have the Sinister coolant filter. Time will tell if that was a good move.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
My original EGR cooler wasn't clogged, but I elected to replace it anyway. I replaced the oil cooler because the difference between EOT and ECT was getting as high as 12 degrees. Again, I want to avoid future problems. On my Edge Insight monitor, I watch EOT, ECT, EGT, FICM voltage, and battery voltage. I use Mobil Turbo Diesel 5w40 full synthetic oil and change it religiously, every two oil changes I put in four ounces of Rev-X, and I add PowerService Diesel Kleen to every tank of fuel.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing crazy is you would think others will say you are crazy for keeping the EGR cooler
There are a ton of them running around, doing daily tasks of hauling, etc and are just as good as the one in the next lane sans the cooler.
It's just something to be aware of, you already know that.

When I bought the boys truck it was deleted, or I would have probably left the cooler there, especially in light of the fact it's an early build with the better design.

I'm no tree hugger, but it's there for a reason, nothing wrong with keeping pollutants down.........within reason of course.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:38 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
If you'd have asked before the work was done, I too would have said BPD (#1 Choice as it has a CARB approval) or equivalent tube style EGR cooler and also after a full flush, switch to a CAT EC-1 (red) coolant. But it is after the fact...

Did you also have the new style dummy plugs put in?

If I was in a place I could delete the EGR, I would -- worst thing they ever forced on diesels...

Scott

Old 01-15-2018, 12:40 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
If you'd have asked before the work was done, I too would have said BPD (#1 Choice as it has a CARB approval) or equivalent tube style EGR cooler and also after a full flush, switch to a CAT EC-1 (red) coolant. But it is after the fact...

Did you also have the new style dummy plugs put in?

If I was in a place I could delete the EGR, I would -- worst thing they ever forced on diesels...

Scott
Yes, new style dummy plugs.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:49 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
You are good-to-go... I did my work proactively -- some say wait for a failure, but a blown STC and cracked rear engine cover was not something I wanted to experience. Did most of what was on your list and also had the Turbo bench cleaned. My guess is they would have done that for you and checked it over on a job like this, likely replacing unison ring....

Good luck for another 100K +!!!

Scott

Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by hi-jacker
A week or so ago, my 2005 F350 with 184k miles lost power and died. My Edge engine monitor showed EGR circuit codes. My nephew is a master diesel tech for a Ford dealer and I had the truck hauled to their shop. He pulled the EGR valve and it was carboned up and obviously sticking. Since I plan to keep my truck for at least another 100k miles, I asked my nephew to go through it and replace whatever he felt was prone to failure. I elected to keep the OEM EGR system instead of doing an EGR delete, but replace all the components with new. Following is what my nephew replaced:

EGR valve and cooler
Oil cooler
EBP sensor
Latest generation HPOP STC fitting
Latest generation oil standpipes
Glow plugs and harnesses (mine were malfunctioning)
Block heater and harness (mine was toast)
Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Heater hose hot water valve (mine was leaking)
Fuel pressure regulator with blue spring upgrade
Fuel filters
Oil and filter
Sinister coolant filter
Coolant

In the near future, I will also add the Sinister secondary oil filter and replace the degas bottle with a metal one (probably Sinister).

Smart and that tech knows his stuff --- I have a totally un-molested, LEGAL 6.0L that's going strong too - in spite of the fact Ford engineers totally botched up the design. Maintenance and CATERPILLAR coolants, lubricants have been the key to its survival -- Exxon makes a lot of it for CAT.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 1990
Smart and that tech knows his stuff --- I have a totally un-molested, LEGAL 6.0L that's going strong too - in spite of the fact Ford engineers totally botched up the design. Maintenance and CATERPILLAR coolants, lubricants have been the key to its survival -- Exxon makes a lot of it for CAT.
Please, enlighten us all as to the botched designs you refer to.....this is at least the second post you have stated as such.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm getting ready to order a BPD EGR cooler and few other bits. I may get tuning to turn off the EGR valve but the cooler will stay in place.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Please, enlighten us all as to the botched designs you refer to.....this is at least the second post you have stated as such.

Let me go find the popcorn before you start.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
jkey.bama
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Club

Hey hi-jacker, I like your style and logical, proactive thought process. I have a 2004 F350 Scab 4x4 dually w/4.10 gears @ 160k. The truck was originally owned by the US Fish & Wildlife. I was able to get an Oasis report and in 2005, Ford replaced the heads (factory remans), oil cooler, egr cooler and in their notes (other applicable parts & components). I wonder where the ARP studs came from? If and when an issue occurs, I will follow your lead on changes/upgrades with maybe a couple adjustments (maybe remote mount of oil cooler & BPD egr cooler). I also religiously service/maintain the 6.0 (5-30 syn)/5r110(Mercon)/4.10 gears. My Scangauge is totally loaded w/EOT/ECT/TFT/FMP constantly on the viewer. The only mechanical changes I have made is replacing failed FICM w/Ed's & Atlas 40 tune and XDP coolant filter. I hope/plan to get 500k out of the truck or until death do us part (whichever comes first, mine or the trucks) ROFLMAO! I would be appreciative and proud to be considered a member of the "Crazy Club". Have a Great Day Everyday! Joe