Notices

RK sports ram air hood

Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM
junkman777
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RK sports ram air hood

I bought the RKSport 19017000 from L3com For my Ford F-250. The hood arrived with no issues. I was having a local shop do the paint, installation and other small work. The shop had quoted me a price for sanding, prepping and painting the hood. After the hood arrived, the shop called me back and said the hood would need additional work than what was normally required. Basically, there were imperfections in the fiberglass that would require the hood to be block and sanded using bondo to fill the dips. Also, they said the hood was hitting the air box and would not shut.

Now understand this truck is my daily driver and I am using an insurance claim to install the new hood and replace the damaged one. I am on a budget and can't afford a lot extra parts and pieces. The warranty on the hood is "you return it". My thinking, if I return the hood the shop would charge me labor for removing the old hood, fitting the new hood, putting the old hood back on, etc. then I would have to ship the hood back and everything that came along with that. Basically, I would be out several hundred dollars and still have the old hood on my truck or I would be waiting another month have a new hood but be out several hundred dollars. I paid the extra to have the hood prepped and painted correctly.

The hood does not fit a 2016 Ford F250 with a 6.7. You have to do a modification to stock part to make the hood fit. The shop made a temp fix and cut a 3 inch groove into the top of the air box and sealed it. The temp fix does restrict the air flow some, but it allows me to drive the truck until I can get it fixed. The only fix that I found is a $400 cold air intake. The paint work and cold air intake will have me around $600 to $700 out of my pocket which is unexpected costs that were not in my budget. I am very unhappy with the company that sold me the hood and have tried to get them to help me resolve this issue, but they seem to care less how much more it will cost me to get the hood they sold me to fit my truck correctly.

I called RK Sports and basically they said that I can send it back if I have not painted it and they knew some models required a cold air intake to be installed. This would have been good information to know and should not be buried it in fine print on their web page. When you go to LMPerformance web page is says hood fits my truck. If I had known ahead of time the hood was going to cost me an extra $700 I would have gone with something different.

LMPerformance offered to sell me a cold air intake at a discount but will not tell me how much of a discount. The last email I sent was to RKSoprts/LMperformace and asked LM Performance to work with RKSports to get me the best discount they can for a cold air intake. I did not ask RKSports to pay for everything just put in what they think is right. That was 4 weeks ago I have not heard back from either company.

The hood does look nice, but it cost me over $700 more than what I expected. My biggest issue is with customer support. They advertised the hood to fit my truck and it does not and they can at least email me back.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
I reall feel for you, as most of the aftermarket hoods fail to fit most any vehicle without extensive work....it's been that way for 30+ years that I know of.....unfortunately, what you are experiencing is not unusual but almost more of the standard......especially when times are tough...(financials & economics). Today few companies are "making money" (so to speak) as most are getting by with mild profits....... those that are making money are typically in a market that is short term... so it's very important to realize when you purchase an aftermarket component (especially hoods) there is typically work required to make them fit correctly and when things are tough economically, customer support can vary.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
bracing myself...bought a different brand...will be painted by seller. picking it up, so no shipping.