2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Truck puchase want opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:48 AM
killerslp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck puchase want opinions

I am currently looking at options for a new 2017-2018 F-250 CCSB 4x4 and would love some options from people who have already gone through this.

i currently have a vintage Streamline trailer I am restoring 25' 5k max frame weight.
Just sold a 97 F250 HD with a flatbed I was mainly using to get mulch and misc other construction materials to work on my house.
and a 2011 Cayenne Turbo - bought it used for a good price but too expensive to get repaired if something was to go wrong while towing.

For my purpose the F250 is actually more than I need but after looking over all the towing and payload limits of the 1/2 tons they seem to be too limited and the 250 seems like it should be a better overall vehicle long term. Also price of an F-150 with the same options isn't much different than the 250 just with lower limits.

Current dilemma is based on owner reviews I was looking at just ordering a 2018 CCSB 4x4 lariat with everything and the 6.2l gas motor 4.30 gearing. The local dealer has a 2017 CCSB 4x4 lariat loaded 6.7l psd that is 4k more out the door than the 2018 would be due to less rebates or discounts. The 2017 has a few extra options over the 2018 as well, ones I wouldn't have gotten likely if I was building it.

I want to keep this vehicle for aslong as possible minimum 5 years, it will be a daily driver 20 miles each way currently average 50-60 miles a day not towing. The towing is going to start later in the year and at some point going to be doing cross country trips with the trailer so I want something reliable hence the new truck. Fuel mileage seems to only be maybe 2-3 mpg better in favor of the diesel(15mpg) from what I have seen on reviews and such(not towing), is it actually any better than that from individual experience?

Final concern is the payload I did not remember to check the door sticker on the 2017 but looking it seems like it will have a rough payload of 2100-2700lbs(likely the lower end due to being fully loaded) on the diesel and roughly 700 more for the gas. I don't plan on going over a 10k trailer(key word plan) so that would be a max of roughly 1k tongue weight plus full tank of fuel and 2 passengers would total 1600lbs leaving maybe 500lbs for anything else compare to the roughly 1200lbs for the gas motor. And the 2100 low end isn't much higher than a F-150.

For the 4k difference I actually would rather the diesel, I just don't want to be concerned about overloading it and maybe i am just thinking too much into it.

I appreciate any opinions and feedback provided.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Question

How about a 350?

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Don’t worry about overloading these trucks, odds are good you won’t and if you did it wouldn’t be by much.
The gas vs diesel dilemma is totally up to you. A comparable equipped truck gas vs diesel will probably be $7-8000 difference in price (I'm sure you might be able to find one for less) but the diesel will cost you more. In the real world the mileage difference is minimal for the huge cost difference. A lot of fleets are going to gas because of the additional costs of the diesel don’t outweigh the benefits. The 6.2 is just as capable as the 6.7, I’ve been driving one since 2011, the 6.2 will tow anything that a 6.7 will tow it will just be slightly slower to accelerate. If the truck is strictly going to be used for towing I would say go with the diesel. Otherwise if it will be towing a little then just a daily driver go with the 6.2. Read all of the post’s about guys worried about where they buy their fuel, when is it going to regen, why did it regen, what is the right oil, fuel filters, how long can I let it idle, did I say fuel? Should I keep going? I know I will get shot down for putting the beloved 6.7 down. The 6.2 might not be as cool as a 6.7 but the 6.2’s just run. My truck gets started about 4:30 in the morning and a lot of days it doesn’t get shut off till 8-9 o’clock in the evening and I don’t worry about it one bit. It’s ultimately up to you and I don’t really care what you or anyone else drives (its your money) I just know the 6.2 with 4.30’s is a very capable and reliable combination!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:24 AM
hansenlink
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
For just 4k difference I would go for the diesel. Just my two cents.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing in your post requires a diesel. Payload is rarely a concern with normal TT's. Unless you think you'll get a slide-in camper or dump bed in the future.

I suggest to keep on looking. Plenty of '17's left.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:13 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
imho the 6.2 is more than sufficient to tow & haul your gear. I get the oh-ah factor of the 6.7, but it is not needed in your case. Save the $$$$ and skip the diesel.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
My trailer weighs less than 10K. I bought a diesel because: A - I "wanted" one. , and, B - Because I could. Regarding Snowman8's previous post - "Read all of the post’s about guys worried about where they buy their fuel, when is it going to regen, why did it regen, what is the right oil, fuel filters, how long can I let it idle, did I say fuel?" This is a forum for Super Duty trucks, what do you think you're going to read about? In the end, the decision is yours. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:28 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't forget with the added up front cost of the diesel, you also get vastly more expensive maintenance, and the fuel costs more to boot - wiping out any fuel economy savings. And then you get to fill it up with DEF too!

I'd go gas. You sound exactly the situation it's designed for. It won't even notice a 5k trailer anyway.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:29 AM
expy03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
Don't forget with the added up front cost of the diesel, you also get vastly more expensive maintenance, and the fuel costs more to boot - wiping out any fuel economy savings. And then you get to fill it up with DEF too!

I'd go gas. You sound exactly the situation it's designed for. It won't even notice a 5k trailer anyway.
I agree with mrgrayaz, I just traded a 10’ 6.4L diesel for an 18’ gasser. I do miss the power of the diesel with its 3.55 rear end but I do not mis the fuel and maintenance costs. Also, you may want to look at the 3.73 if you go with the gas. 4.30 seems a bit much for a 5k trailer and there will be a fuel mileage’s savings with the 3.73. I wish I could have gotten the 3.55 in the gas but that’s not an option. Right now my 3.73 is 300 rpm hire at 70mph than my 3.55 was.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Not to mention the simple pattern that guys without legit needs for a diesel, have 400% more trips to the service garage than guys that do, or went gas. Buying a diesel, just because it's cool, is a monumental mistake. Search these threads and others.

Rolling the dice on an expensive engine, then not loading it up to keep it clean.........

Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 AM
USSenator
Elder User
The price is an F350 is the same as a F250. Go with an F350 and be more prepared for the future.

I went F350 Diesel, no way I would even think about an F250 if I was towing anything.

Man up.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Well I had to think about that also. The most I can tow is about a 23-26' TT due to campground size, and rough roads around my favorite camp grounds. Anything over 23' is diminishing returns. Well within the 250's capability. 350 is better for slide in campers, but a slide in camper costs as much as an entire truck, so I gave up on them.

250 has softer springs and no overloads. Great, because I prefer 5000# Riderite air springs. 6r100g is a smoother transmission, that's a bit livelier. I could remove the 350's overload springs and get a nice soft set of Deavers, but that's $$$ I don't need to spend with the 250.

If I really had to go F350 due to trailer, slide-in, or 5'er, I'd go DRW diesel with 4.10's. That's nowhere near my needs.

If you think you'll be loading up your bed with heavy gear while connected to the trailer, 5 coolers, 10 Hp120 scuba tanks, or whatever, then take another look at F350's.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 AM
killerslp
New User
thank you all for the replies, I know the weight I am towing does not require the diesel at all and even my future plans do not require it so it would be a personal thing rather than a need. The previous vehicles i have had were a 2002 Z06 and recently a Cayenne Turbo so the going to the HD truck is a big change. I want it to be as responsive as possible(I know it's a 3+ ton huge vehicle) which is why it's either the psd or the 6.2 with the 4.30. Driving both the psd seems to respond much better and have better pickup, the 6.2 with the 3.73 seemed like I had to floor it to get decent acceleration, and it needed to downshift more often. As I can't even test drive the 4.30 with the 6.2 I am only going on reviews that it's alot better acceleration wise.

Aslong as the gas mileage average is 13 for the 6.2 or 15 for the diesel it's a not a concern as previous vehicles required premium and averaged 19mpg. As far as maintenance the oil changes are are more expensive and you have to replace the fuel filters plus adding def is there any other normal maintenance on the psd that I am missing?

I have personally gone back and forth on this over and over as the gas is cheaper and will do everything I need and be less complicated long term. But driving the 2 the psd feels better to drive, seems like I would enjoy driving it more initially. being a 60k+ vehicle I would hate to dislike my drive because I made the wrong choice. At the same time I would hate my vehicle if it ended up having more problems due to a complicated engine that I didn't need.

As before thank you all for the responses.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
You're actually lucky. It's the guys who don't have fast cars that suffer with these trucks. They're the ones pushing them hard and burning them up.

We don't, because no amount of power in a truck is going to impress us. So i just mosey along slowly saving wear and tear on the truck. You could put 7 powerstroke engines under the hood, and i'd just yawn after hopping off of the Ducati.

Consider also 4.56 gears for the 6.2L. Bigger tires? Go 4.88. Don't fear the gear. (although I'm happy with 3.73's)

Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerslp
thank you all for the replies, I know the weight I am towing does not require the diesel at all and even my future plans do not require it so it would be a personal thing rather than a need. The previous vehicles i have had were a 2002 Z06 and recently a Cayenne Turbo so the going to the HD truck is a big change. I want it to be as responsive as possible(I know it's a 3+ ton huge vehicle) which is why it's either the psd or the 6.2 with the 4.30. Driving both the psd seems to respond much better and have better pickup, the 6.2 with the 3.73 seemed like I had to floor it to get decent acceleration, and it needed to downshift more often. As I can't even test drive the 4.30 with the 6.2 I am only going on reviews that it's alot better acceleration wise.

Aslong as the gas mileage average is 13 for the 6.2 or 15 for the diesel it's a not a concern as previous vehicles required premium and averaged 19mpg. As far as maintenance the oil changes are are more expensive and you have to replace the fuel filters plus adding def is there any other normal maintenance on the psd that I am missing?

I have personally gone back and forth on this over and over as the gas is cheaper and will do everything I need and be less complicated long term. But driving the 2 the psd feels better to drive, seems like I would enjoy driving it more initially. being a 60k+ vehicle I would hate to dislike my drive because I made the wrong choice. At the same time I would hate my vehicle if it ended up having more problems due to a complicated engine that I didn't need.

As before thank you all for the responses.
The people that claim it is much more expensive to own/operate a diesel have never looked at the actual numbers and they don't consider the resale value.

Depending on the mileage you put on a vehicle and the amount of towing the net cost of owning a diesel over a gas for the first 5yrs/100k miles is not very different.

If you plan to keep a diesel past the warranty period then it could be more expensive if you have a major engine repair.
But if you plan on keeping a diesel truck after the engine warranty expires you haven't looked at the depreciation curve or don't care.

13mpg average on a 6.2L 4.30 gear truck might be optimistic, 15mpg on a 6.7 is very realistic.

Quick Reply: New Truck puchase want opinions