2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Truck puchase want opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
killerslp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so the faster cars are gone, sold them due to various problems that were mostly model related. So this will be my main vehicle and I don't want to end up burning it up .

As far as the truck I know it's big and heavy but i want to know that I can pull out into traffic and accelerate without feeling like I am stressing the engine/trans constantly, the 6.2l 3.73 felt that way,

no real plans on going larger with rims or tires, infact if I order the 2018 it will likely have 18's as the factory 20's I liked aren't available.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:11 AM
killerslp
New User
Originally Posted by Robb81
The people that claim it is much more expensive to own/operate a diesel have never looked at the actual numbers and they don't consider the resale value.

Depending on the mileage you put on a vehicle and the amount of towing the net cost of owning a diesel over a gas for the first 5yrs/100k miles is not very different.

If you plan to keep a diesel past the warranty period then it could be more expensive if you have a major engine repair.
But if you plan on keeping a diesel truck after the engine warranty expires you haven't looked at the depreciation curve or don't care.

13mpg average on a 6.2L 4.30 gear truck might be optimistic, 15mpg on a 6.7 is very realistic.
The major engine repairs after warranty are what scares me about the diesel, obviously I have read the horror stories and taken that into consideration. Also the sheer volume sold vers the number of complaints it's fairly low so that should mean a lower risk of a major issue. If I get the diesel I would likely consider selling or trading it when the warranty expires, if I go with the gas I would be more inclined to keep it longer as it should have a lower repair cost and lower risk of a major issue.

But getting 13mpg is optimistic with the 6.2 and 4.30's, I will try searching more to see if I can find other results on that. I know I have seen some video's and there cluster has shown 8mpg but don't remember if those were towing or not.

thanks again,

Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
Diesel is a really personal decision. I went that way for a couple of reasons, we my be adding some larger trailers, I like the way it drives, the re-sale is much higher here for diesel. I would probably also go 350 for the difference if you decide to go the diesel route and you think you need the extra payload. I do, with the extra weight fo the diesel and by the time I put 5 guys in the truck plus whatever the job calls for it is nice to have the extra room on the payload side. Gas or diesel, its great truck you will like it.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
My 2011 F350 with the 6.2 had 3.73 gears and always felt sluggish to me. My 2017 6.2 with 4.30’s is night and day different. No it doesn’t have the torque of the 6.7 but it is pretty quick and will pull any trailer that we have in our shop just fine.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Originally Posted by DRKBC
Diesel is a really personal decision. I went that way for a couple of reasons, we my be adding some larger trailers, I like the way it drives, the re-sale is much higher here for diesel. I would probably also go 350 for the difference if you decide to go the diesel route and you think you need the extra payload. I do, with the extra weight fo the diesel and by the time I put 5 guys in the truck plus whatever the job calls for it is nice to have the extra room on the payload side. Gas or diesel, its great truck you will like it.
Having the diesel actually lowers your rated payload capacity because of the added weight of the engine. My F350 CCLBSRW is rated at 4187 pounds. I don’t believe that a 6.7 can get close to that in a single rear wheel. And with the 4.30 it’s rated to tow the same as a 6.7. The 6.7 might be a second or two faster, thats the only difference.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I own a 17' F250 4x4 Supercab, 6.2-4:30's and also an 17' F350 srw Diesel Platinum.
I know the F250 with a 6.2-430's will exceed your 10,000 lb towing expectations.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 125 Likes on 55 Posts
I went through the same process before buying my 2018 PSD. Started looking at forums for Ford, GM and Dodge last fall. The gas vs diesel argument is as contentious on the other sites as this one. For me, (personal experience), there is nothing worse than "buyers remorse". Now I just err on the side of - "if it's what I want, that's what I buy". You should do the same. Beware of analysis / paralysis.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Having the diesel actually lowers your rated payload capacity because of the added weight of the engine. My F350 CCLBSRW is rated at 4187 pounds. I don’t believe that a 6.7 can get close to that in a single rear wheel. And with the 4.30 it’s rated to tow the same as a 6.7. The 6.7 might be a second or two faster, thats the only difference.

Right, sorry I didn't say that clearly. When I was referring to "the extra weight for the diesel" that is what I was meaning, with a diesel in the 250 the payload could be to low depending on a persons needs.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM
expy03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robb81
The people that claim it is much more expensive to own/operate a diesel have never looked at the actual numbers and they don't consider the resale value.
Robb81 does make a good point. I did receive $4k-$5k more for my trade because of the Diesel engine. However, I traded it at 88k miles before it could be a financial burden and I wasn’t doing the engine any good because 90% of my driving was short trips... tough on the regen system.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 PM
killerslp
New User
Originally Posted by expy03
Robb81 does make a good point. I did receive $4k-$5k more for my trade because of the Diesel engine. However, I traded it at 88k miles before it could be a financial burden and I wasn’t doing the engine any good because 90% of my driving was short trips... tough on the regen system.
so getting 4-5k more for the trade down the road in my case would mean basically recoup the initial price difference for the diesel engine. by going with a discounted 2017 diesel instead of ordering a 2018 gas. Meaning only difference would be maintenance. i still need to look up the mpg for the gas 4.30 as that will make a difference daily if it's too low then the diesel might be more worth it. Maybe I will just have to change jobs so I can tow things with it more .

Old 01-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by killerslp
so getting 4-5k more for the trade down the road in my case would mean basically recoup the initial price difference for the diesel engine. by going with a discounted 2017 diesel instead of ordering a 2018 gas. Meaning only difference would be maintenance. i still need to look up the mpg for the gas 4.30 as that will make a difference daily if it's too low then the diesel might be more worth it. Maybe I will just have to change jobs so I can tow things with it more .
NADA trade in value on a 2012 F250 diesel is a $6,600 add over gas.

Please do not think I'm telling you which to get because there are very solid reasons to choose a gas engine, but operating/ownership cost over the first 5 years/100k miles is not a significant factor.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Fr8dog69
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
When I was first looking at 17 Super Duty’s, I initially was looking at a F-250 6.2 with 4.30 gears, 4x4 CCLB.(They were hard to find on dealer lots too) I’m planning to use a new truck primarily for towing including a big slide in camper, race car 15k trailer, and in the future a 2 or 3axle 5Th wheel and the occasional gooseneck equipment hauling. Having said that, the F-350 was where I needed to go capability wise and I’m a little partial to duallys for their added safety so it won out. I also liked some of the standard features the DRW comes with,clearance lights, running boards,integrated brake controller, including an optional limited slip rear instead of an E-Locker and hydroboost brakes. It pretty much all comes down to preference and what the end use will be. Resale was the last factor I considered but I did ponder selling a used gasser dually could be a hard sell?

Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
If the NADA trade in value is $6600 higher on a diesel over a gas there is till no real gains because the gas option is still $7-8000 cheaper up front. I could care less what engine anyone has cost of ownership in the end is usually close, as long as there are no major repairs in the life of the vehicle. Maintenance is more expensive and repairs are typically higher on a diesel. Just food for thought

Old 01-16-2018, 05:13 AM
doucetrr
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't see the upside to the diesel unless you are heavily freighted on a daily basis, or hauling a large heavy fifth wheel frequently, which in most cases will put you in a duel rear wheel 350 or higher. That extra power and torque would be great in those applications.I just can't see paying all the extra costs, including initial purchase price, more oil, fuel additives and filters, two batteries etc. Not mention cold weather aggravation, and other aggravations. There is just not enough benefit (in my opinion) to justify the additional costs and aggravations unless the vehicle is being used as described above.
Seems like there is a lot more to go wrong based on another thread regarding Technical Service bulletins. I get the feeling that big brother is doing everything he can to make diesel engines not run. This is all just my opinion which is what the subject of the thread asks for...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-recalls.html

Last edited by doucetrr; 01-16-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-16-2018, 05:54 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hansenlink
For just 4k difference I would go for the diesel. Just my two cents.

This........

Quick Reply: New Truck puchase want opinions