More Money Than Brains Department - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

More Money Than Brains Department

Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
More Money Than Brains Department

I sold a nice 48 to 52 driver side door on eBay on January 5 for $160. It had no dents or dings but had a little hole in the front bottom corner. The buyer was from austinburg, Ohio. He came to North Central PA today to pick it up. It was a 4 and a half hour drive. I presumed he was working on a 48 to 52 truck. I wrote the FTE website address on a piece of paper so he could join our forum.

He and his wife arrive as scheduled. My garage door was open and he saw my truck and we looked it over. I asked what year truck he had.... He said your gonna hate me for this but I bought the door for wall art for his garage! He is going to paint it a faded red and have an guy put his name on it with his sons like sanford and son junk dealers. He has a 1928 Ford truck in good shape and is working on a 60s Impala.

So, drive all that way, pay $160 for the door, pay to paint it and make it look old, and pay a sign painter to hang on a wall! I could have sold him worse doors a lot cheaper that I had last year for what he is doing with it! But I'm happy, I got money, but it doesn't make sense. But at least it won't be ruined. He can always sell it years later probably for more.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
One of those things that makes you go “hmmm”.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Posting Guru

49fordv8f4 is a name known to all49fordv8f4 is a name known to all49fordv8f4 is a name known to all49fordv8f4 is a name known to all49fordv8f4 is a name known to all49fordv8f4 is a name known to all
Abe, that was real popular a few years ago. I gave a '39 Ford truck door to my cousin to do that with. He wanted an old truck door to have painted and hang on his garage wall. I asked him about it a couple of years later and he said he never got around to it so he hauled it to the dump.
Mark
Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Senior User

Effies 56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Effies 56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Effies 56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Effies 56 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Abe,
Maybe it will prompt him to get a truck like yours and start spending some of his money?
Austinburg is about 1/2 hour west of me.
Regards,
Chris
Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud ofbigwin56f100 has much to be proud of

​​​​​​​

I've had this door in the rafters of my barn since 1994 and didn't even remember the paint. I was going to sell this last week but now I'm putting it in the new shop
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Posting Guru

HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a great reputation on FTE.
i used to live in geneva,about 3 miles from there.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Kevin, that is cool door art. But you didn't drive 4.5 hours for it. Nor did you have to paint it.

Bottom line, once you own it you can do what you want with it. When he told me " Your not gonna like this..." I said your building a Rat Rod? At least he is not chopping up the door and changing it. I'm glad I sold it. It is one less thing I have to load and take to Ford Carlisle. And possibly have to sell it for less.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 View Post
Abe, that was real popular a few years ago. I gave a '39 Ford truck door to my cousin to do that with. He wanted an old truck door to have painted and hang on his garage wall. I asked him about it a couple of years later and he said he never got around to it so he hauled it to the dump.
Mark
Ouch! That hurts. Why didn't he ask you first!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 PM
Elder User

52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Abe, think of it this way. You've probably been to an art museum. Think of some of the things you saw there--all of them probably valued in the 1,000's of dollars. In comparison, the guy with your door got a screening deal. Great "art" at a bargain price. He was probably smiling all the way home.

Jim
Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

r_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to behold
let the guy paint it and store it indoors. it will only appreciate in value. someone may see it and offer to buy it or trade him a rusty one + $ for it.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 AM
Senior User

TonyB55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe someday it will inspire him, to build the rest of the truck to go with the door.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Senior User

1952 Ford Coe has a very good reputation on FTE.1952 Ford Coe has a very good reputation on FTE.1952 Ford Coe has a very good reputation on FTE.1952 Ford Coe has a very good reputation on FTE.
There are many ways to look at the sale of that door. To some it's foolish to others it's awesome. Here is another way to look at it... To some people owning and restoring old vehicles is foolish and a waste of money. Not to us obviously. Also, my family and I purchase things far away just for the road trip. My COE came from Mississippi. My galaxie came from New Hampshire. We purchased antiques hours away just for the road trip and family time. As for the door art... I would rather hang a nice one instead of a rusty one. It's all in the eye of the beholder
Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 AM
Elder User

thundersnow70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's a long drive for a wall art door. But if you really want it.....what the heck. To each their own. It got bad enough in our local area with guys making tailgate benches and "grill" wall art that if we posted on CL we would say in the add that we would not sell for furniture or art. That fad has pretty much faded away now. Here anyways.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Senior User

52 Ford F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Small and curious world.
at antique store near home by Detroit, found a door for a small tow company with salvage yard that's a few miles from my cottage. I know the owner of the tow company, asked him about it, and he said some "pickers" came in and bought all kinds of old junk parts to sell as antiques for less than 500 total (including 2 doors).
The antique store had it marked at $700 for a home paint brushed lettered door off his 80s tow truck...
Old 01-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
I didn't know I was a millionaire.

All I gotta do is dig out that pair of doors I have out back and hang em on the wall (well, OK. Maybe I better paint a business name on the side first)

Bobby