Is the 6.7l Diesel still a dog? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the 6.7l Diesel still a dog?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 PM
gmforsythe
New User
gmforsythe is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am being offered (from dealership) a new 2017 F250 with 6.7l diesel. Friend of mine consulted a fleet maintenance expert and said "Don't touch any new diesels except Dodges with Cummings engines!"

I would like to know if the 6.7l Ford engine has fixed the problems it had originally.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Army RET
Elder User
Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.Army RET has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes, way back in mid 2011.
Just read this forum, how many problems have subsequently been reported?

Once you've done the research be sure and advise your friend to SCHOOL the fleet maintenance 'expert'.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM
mebe2k
Elder User
mebe2k is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The Cummins engines have their fair share of issues, same with the duramax..and the shipping crate that the cummins comes in (the RAM) is horrible..

Old 01-13-2018, 01:46 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
If by dog you The Big Dog, then yes. The 6.7L engine is a very good engine and so is the transmission. The 6.7L (2018) has more HP/TQ than anyone else in the same space. The 2017 model has better torque but Chevy beats it by 5 on HP as I recall.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 PM
UP_There
Post Fiend
UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
Don't feed the trolls....

Old 01-13-2018, 03:42 PM
schlepprock250
Guns Dont Kill People..
schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UP_There View Post
Don't feed the trolls....
This^^^^^!

Old 01-13-2018, 05:41 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by schlepprock250 View Post
This^^^^^!
Yup, first post and mouthing off like an idiot.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Iowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputationIowa Ford has a superb reputation
Just spelling CUMMINGS says a lot !

Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Yup, first post and mouthing off like an idiot.
+1 great first post. Seems like a Ram person, please don't purchase a

Old 01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anyone who believes that any brand of diesel isn't struggling to maintain their reliability with the emissions requirements today.... has their head in the sand.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 AM
gmforsythe
New User
OK guys...thanks for the help. I stand corrected on spelling Cummings. I was not claiming to be any kind of expert; I was just relating what I had heard and was looking for validation or refutation of that piece of advice.

Anyway, I went ahead and bought the F-250, browsed the manual, and took the truck on its maiden voyage. 381 miles, a large portion of which was in snow and slush. Snow was not deep at all but it was slippery, and ice and frozen slush totally covered the grill and lower end of the truck. I traded my beloved 2008 F-350 and a bunch of $$ for this truck. I am a total neophyte to all this electronic stuff inside the truck. The AM radio reception is much poorer than my F-350. Luckily, there is a Sirius radio, but that doesn't get me reception for talk radio which I listen to on my long trips when I have to travel in the daytime. After about 200 miles, the display went black except for the display of the time (which was frozen at 14:59) and the date of 5/25/2000 and the temperature readout. It happened yesterday (Friday), so it will not get fixed until Monday or Tuesday, depending on whether or not the dealer is closed for MLK day.

I would say this does not bode well, but we will see what the verdict is when I bring it in.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 AM
gmforsythe
New User
Sorry if I offended anyone

My first post was a request for help/advice, not an attempt to "mouth off." I apologize for my misspelling of Cummings.

Anyway, I went ahead and traded in my beloved 2008 F-350 gas truck for the 2017 F-250 diesel. I took it for its maiden voyage yesterday (Friday, 12 Jan 18). Did 381 miles, 200 of which were in snowy/slushy conditions. The truck looks like it came through a war, but it ran just fine. Got much better gas mileage than my old F-350. AM radio reception is horrible compared to the F-350. This may seem like a stupid observation, but I do take long trips pulling a trailer, and if I am driving in the daytime, I like to listen to talk radio.

The camera display went black after about 200 miles. I checked the backup camera lens and cleared it off, but no difference. The display is stuck reading the time of 14:59 and date of 5/25/2000 and the outside temperature. Nothing else although I do see the Ford logo on startup. So it's back to the dealer to get it fixed Monday.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 AM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
One thing that I notice with my 2015 6.7- extreme cold weather with snow and previously seeing slush tends to cause minor gremlins that go away once the truck sees a warm work bay. Mine have not been that severe, but I seem to lose backup sensors and get a "check backup sensors" message and lately I'm seeing a low tire warning when the tires are all fine - these tend to not happen in the summer.

Unfortunately, no one is perfect as our other car is a GM and it too has cold weather issues with a CEL that keeps coming on, it's a 2017 model and it happened with less than 1000 miles on it too. In addition, a friend had a FCA product that ended up with 3 new motors before they gave up and gave her a new one.

Hope the dealer gets you sorted out quick.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
The motor is darn good after the fixing for the 2011 motors.

Do your proper maintance and it should do well.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 AM
gmforsythe
New User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
The motor is darn good after the fixing for the 2011 motors.

Do your proper maintance and it should do well.
Thanks! I intend to. I've heard very good things about diesels lasting forever if you take reasonable care of them. It will be a constant diet of Mobil One for my new baby. I bought the extended warranty and a 5-year service plan from the dealer. I would have bought more if they had it, because if the computer stuff doesn't drive me nuts, I plan to keep it for at least 10 years. I figure that as long as the price differential of diesel vs gasoline doesn't go above $.040 I should save at least $1200 per year on that item. And from what I've read, I can go 7,500 miles between oil changes which should help in paying the differential in 13 qts vs. 7 for my 350.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 6.7l Diesel still a dog?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: