2018 edition TorquePro 7.3L PSD Tablet / Phone PID Monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
2018 edition TorquePro 7.3L PSD Tablet / Phone PID Monitoring

WARNING!! ALERT!! LOOKOUT!!

I have learned that any time I tinker with Torque Pro, things can go sideways unexpectedly. As the most recent example: I have been using a virtual PID called "Turbo Pressure Delta" (TPD) for a long time. This PID shows the difference between Exhaust Back Pressure and Manifold Absolute Pressure. Well... after recent system and software updates, the PID stopped working the way I expected it to. I had to go in and redo the formula to make it work the way I like. If you use the PIDs I provide below, know that many have been worked out and verified - yet plenty are just scanned from my truck or entered from my research and still need to be tested/adjusted/verified. Also know that the PID list doesn't set the final scale appearance/performance - that is determined in the vehicle configuration, Torque Pro Settings, themes, configuration file, and a dial file.

To prevent the potential for a stall - test every PID before saving and installing on a screen.

I have attached the enhanced PIDs from the last export I did from my truck, but I reset the VFD and MFD math because of my Stage II sticks. The attached file to import into your extended PID list is 99-03FordPowerstrokePIDs.csv

Now the more entertaining stuff - accessing your device files to customize your screen. This works on Android devices of recent versions (I have nothing lower than Marshmallow, but I have made KitKat work). When I plug my device into the USB port on my computer, I have to swipe down on the screen to see a USB notification on the Android device. By tapping the USB notification, I can change the connection to File Transfer. Using explorer on the PC, I can surf into the Android device folders, and the folder I want is named ".torque"

I can share what I would call my own personal Tugly theme, but I added a couple of things so you guys can dial it to the way you like your stuff. I have matched this as closely as possible with my 2000 dash, and it works pretty well with ISSPRO EV2 Ford match gauges.

Because of the complexity of sharing this, I'm fully expecting an error somewhere - and I await the subsequent "It don't work" posts.

EDIT: I have since reviewed the files and how they look. in my haste, I made a number of errors... but they are in the way the data displays and how the math works out. These new files are now attached as of 1-16-2018. The "Tugly2000PowerstrokeDashSupplements" looks best on a 7-8" tablet with high resolution. The "TuglyPhoneDashSupplements" works better on smaller screens, or those with lower resolution.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Tugly2000PowerstrokeTheme.zip (33.2 KB, 380 views)
File Type: zip
TuglyPhoneDashSupplements.zip (9.0 KB, 302 views)
File Type: csv
Tugly2000PowerstrokePIDs.csv (3.2 KB, 714 views)

Last edited by Y2KW57; 02-16-2022 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Changed thread title from "2018 Powerstroke PIDs" to a title that includes keywords of topic to aid Google searches without implying wrong era engine (2018 Powerstroke)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Old 01-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Rich, thank you for taking the time to get all of this done. At the very least, the spreadsheet with the formulas on it is very helpful.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
As for the layouts... epic fail. Well... not really. I took the files of a 7" tablet, and tried to fit the gauges on a 5" screen. Lets just say that was a bit awkward. After going into the Torque Pro settings and making sure I had things set to match the 7" tablet (like number of screens {3}, background color, and units of measurement like PSI and MPH), things just needed to be resized and re-arranged. The Pixel 2 screen doesn't host the screen exactly like the 7"... but it only took a few minutes to make them very similar.

Believe me, it took a helluva lot longer to initially set up the screen on the tablet than it did to take the files and copy them over to the phone. This made configuring Torque Pro on my new smart phone a 1/2 hour job.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Thank you Rich! I have been trying to figure out how to customize TP like yours to emulate our factory dash colors. I couldn't figure it out and after several exhausting attempts with your files, I realized the files were "hidden" on my tablet. I am now up and running your theme! Thank you for your efforts, sir!

Old 01-13-2018, 05:45 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't find Torque on my S7 either. I can find everything else though. Was there a setting in Android to un-hide files?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
The files are hidden unless when you hook up the USB, you tap the USB connection notification on your Android device. Once you tap that, you should have a menu pops up that allows you to select "File Transfer". This configures the USB connection to allow exploring the files on the device... but it needs to be done every single time you connect the USB cable.

Torque won't be down the list like you expect because of alphabetical order... it's way up high on the list because the folder name is ".torque" (with a decimal as the first character in the name).

Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
My LG didn't have a notification pop down option with USB connected. I was able to find the unhide option once selecting the three vertical dots in the top right in file manager. My S8 is also this way so I am assuming your S7 should be similar.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Carl. I found that, and now I can see it in File Manager on the phone, but even with File Sharing enabled when connected via USB, those folders don't appear in Windows.

The last time I did this was years ago on my old Droid phone. I've had this one about two years and never bothered to change anything...

Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
I was able to extract Richs files on my MacBook to my tablet using the Airdroid app on the tablet and the computer. The airdroid interface wouldn't let me unhide .torque so I copied them into the torque logs folder and then moved them on my tablet to their designated places as marked in Richs pic on the 1st post. The free airdroid version wouldn't let me copy a whole folder but selecting all files and dragging them over to an unhidden folder worked well.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Yeah... it doesn't surprise me that Android makes this challenging because of all the different versions - and even different hardware with the same OS will behave differently. Many smartphones have their version of the OS, like Verizon Android, or Samsung Android. That's that I like about my Google Nexus 7 and my Google Pixel 2 - they have the uncontaminated Android OS.

Using the image folder on the Android is a good way to at least transfer the files to the device, then you can use an explorer app to move the files around internally. If it comes right down to it, you can email the files from the PC to the Android device - or use dropbox or some other cloud storage.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:08 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
I ended up doing that. I did what Carl did, putting everything in the torqueLogs folder, and then used File Manager to move it. I think it's a combination of both Android and Windows, because a lot changed in the way the Windows File Explorer works with Win8/10. For example, search is essentially useless, unless you're a genius, in which case you'd be organized and remember where you put everything and wouldn't need search.

The colors look great. I haven't taken it out to the truck yet, but after resizing everything, and setting up the gauges I had, it looks good. Just need to get out to the truck and try it. TPD looks interesting.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I am excited you are taking this on, Rich

Are you going to provide an equally helpful logging configuration file that pre-configures the PIDs to be logged?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
That is done in your TP settings. Settings/Data Logging & Upload/Select what to log.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I will edit the first post soon - including the attached files.

Quick Reply: 2018 edition TorquePro 7.3L PSD Tablet / Phone PID Monitoring