Goodyear Endurance? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Goodyear Endurance?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:09 PM
cay5628
Elder User
cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
What brand had the bubble? Be sure you replace them all.
I have LT tires on it currently, Nexen, a Korean brand tire. Was in a pinch when I bought them, put four on. Plan to replace all 4 with the Goodyear tires.

Found them at Discount Tire in Boerne, TX, right down the street from where I'm parking the RV.

Mark

Old 02-26-2018, 04:54 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Most likely they will have to be ordered. Most are still stocking Chinese tires, some don't even know these USA tires exist.

So speak to them right away.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cay5628 View Post
I have LT tires on it currently, Nexen, a Korean brand tire. Was in a pinch when I bought them, put four on. Plan to replace all 4 with the Goodyear tires.

Found them at Discount Tire in Boerne, TX, right down the street from where I'm parking the RV.

Mark
Nexen has been in the tire business since the 1940s, makes OEMs for Korean cars and entered the US market in 2015. Test results and customer reviews have been positive right up with Michelin, Continental, General and better than Goodyear, so I am very interested in the details. I understand this is an LT tire on a trailer and some say that is not a good idea and others say anything is better than China bombs. The reason I am so interested is that I had planned on the Nexen Roadian AT replacing my thin Michelins this summer. Nexen has a reputation much like Hyundai and Kia where they weren't so good 20 years ago but have steadily improved. The tires they make for the US market are well rated by tire web sites. Tire Fair and Walmart carry them.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nexen does make a quality tire. Michelin quality? YMMV. I have lots of experience with Kumho (Korean) tires and liked them. Good value and performance. I haven't owned/used any Nexen but for no other reason than there were always other, known, options.

Yes, you can use LT tires on your trailer just fine. I know of a number of people that do that for the additional speed ratings and a more ready supply.

From The Tire Rack website:

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

Here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219

Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
I had looked at Kuhmo also but the Nexen Rodian AT Pro got even better reviews.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 PM
cay5628
Elder User
cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a great reputation on FTE.
I found Goodyear G614痴 right around the corner from where I知 parking for the next three days. I知 biting the bullet and spending the money.

Discount tire in Boerne TX

see the attached photo of the Nexen I took off, I have a second one showing a bubble at the bead. These have about 5000 miles on them......

Needless to say, I'm disappointed.

Update: Discount tire did have the Goodyear Endurance tires in stock, I decided to upgrade to the G614, which they also had in stock. I replaced all 4 on the ground and put a new one on the spare. The spare tire I was running still had the Goodyear Marathon OEM tire.

Safe travels,

Mark

Attached Images  

Last edited by cay5628; 02-26-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fix photo. Spelling and Grammar, Updated photo.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Towed the 5th wheel the 300 mile journey home today. The GY's are definitely an upgrade from what I had before. Not that there was a lot of trailer sway before, but now there is virtually none. The trailer tracks true and confidently. I can only imagine what the Sailuns track like with their tread pattern.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I found Goodyear G614痴 right around the corner from where I知 parking for the next three days. I知 biting the bullet and spending the money.

see the attached photo of the Nexen I took off, I have a second one showing a bubble at the bead. These have about 5000 miles on them......

Update: Discount tire did have the Goodyear Endurance tires in stock, I decided to upgrade to the G614, which they also had in stock. I replaced all 4 on the ground and put a new one on the spare. The spare tire I was running still had the Goodyear Marathon OEM tire.

Safe travels,

Mark
Don't know what happened in your case, but...

That type of failure is typically a mechanical failure of the 'flexwall'. The joint between the tread cap's belt structure and the sidewall. It breaks the internal structure and allows air pressure to leak through and under the outer skin. This is typical of a tire that took a hit hard enough to break that structure. Could be a curb, pothole or even a big rock. Can also result from running the tire too low on air pressure.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:29 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
Don't know what happened in your case, but...

That type of failure is typically a mechanical failure of the 'flexwall'. The joint between the tread cap's belt structure and the sidewall. It breaks the internal structure and allows air pressure to leak through and under the outer skin. This is typical of a tire that took a hit hard enough to break that structure. Could be a curb, pothole or even a big rock. Can also result from running the tire too low on air pressure.
Thanks for the good input. Since I still plan to replace my tires with the Nexen Rodian AT Pro this summer, I will be sure to keep the tires at 60 lbs or more when not towing.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Larrymac52
Elder User
Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Safe travels,

Mark
did Discount Tires Mount the Tires directly on the RV?

Old 03-20-2018, 04:02 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Endurance tires in the snow.

Today we traveled 60 miles in snow conditions. The tires on the trailer did well. No movement from side to side. Trailer stayed right behind the truck the whole time.

Sometimes is was slush other times all snow.

Tires performed as they should have.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Originally Posted by Larrymac52 View Post

did Discount Tires Mount the Tires directly on the RV?
Larry, sorry for the delayed response. Yes they did install them directly on the RV.

Mark

Old 03-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Cabindweller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Cabindweller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just returned from towing my fifth wheel just over 1000 miles with the new GY Endurance tires and the Andersen Ultimate hitch. So far, I couldn’t be happier with either. Both performed extremely well.