1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Instrument cluster ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Road Tramp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Masked Rider
Hi guys. Sorry, should have posted sooner. I check in as much as time allows but seldom post.

First off, Eric, its SS. You can polish it up really nice.

Hi Chad. The 'proof' Bill mentioned is not in a book/manual or such. My friend ordered the 65' NEW. He was a very picky guy and wanted it the way he wanted it. Go figure. I was with him when he was making a list of what he wanted and I was with him when he ordered it from Swanson Ford (I think that's the name, been awhile) in Las Gatos, CA. I guess than Swanson Ford sent the order to San Jose District Sales Office and than to the San Jose Assembly Plant to be built. Wonder how much money changed hands on the way there.. HMMMM

Anyway, He DID NOT like the sweep type speedo and opted out/deleted I guess the word is and ordered the round speedo WITH the 4 'gauges' around the speedo. Fuel / Temp / Alt / Oil. And yes, the oil DAA light also works. You have to have both types of sending units at the oil filter housing.
This combo could be ordered from the factory. He also ordered the lower plate that says 'Custom Cab' on it. He was lucky on that I guess because they discontinued that bottom plate earlier in 65' I believe, not sure on that, but I guess they still had a bunch in stock still. They also still used them on the BIG cc trucks for a couple years I think. Both the upper and lower sections were painted 'Argent', I think that's how you spell it, leaving the edges shinny. Upper was chromed plated and lower was SS.
He ordered it with pretty much everything he wanted.

I still have the window sticker/ build sheet stored away which has all the deleted and option/added stuff. It has deleted seat belts, he didn't much like em. The truck is torn down for repaint and modifications. Soon as summer comes around and I gain a little more funds, I will do some more on it as time allows. Think its going to be a long project. Slowing down I guess.

However - to continue. Its been a love/hate relationship over the years. It was stolen once, broken into twice with stuff stolen. Second time it was broken into they stole my seats, console, and an aftermarket tank cover that was made of some type of plastic. They knew exactly what they wanted. They didn't even take a camera I had on the floor. They got what they wanted. Sad thing is,,, It had to be a fellow F-100 guy. And on top of that the fact I was not really taking the care of it as I should have over the years.

My friend left it to me. He shipped out in 66' and didn't make it through his first tour. He only had a few weeks to go. He ordered the truck in May, 65', if I remember correctly and it was built in July of 65'. BUT it was not built as he wanted it. SO, he didn't take position of it until around the first of OCT, I think. So long ago. He only got a few months to enjoy it before he shipped out. I shipped out in 68' so not much time to enjoy it either.

Here is some of the warranty info...

F10DR714387
115 (blank) F100 H81 G A8
5000 172 4000 722549

This is the info on the back of the speedo

C1TF-17255-M
April 1965

Sorry guys for the long post.
Masked Rider
Sorry for your the loss of your friend in that **** war. Thanks for your service Nam 67-70
Road Tramp

Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks RT, he was a good man. Thank you for yours also sir.
Years pass, memories you just deal with...

Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Received 522 Likes on 415 Posts
Hi guys. Sorry, should have posted sooner. I check in as much as time allows but seldom post.

First off, Eric, its SS. You can polish it up really nice.

Hi Chad. The 'proof' Bill mentioned is not in a book/manual or such. My friend ordered the 65' NEW. He was a very picky guy and wanted it the way he wanted it. Go figure. I was with him when he was making a list of what he wanted and I was with him when he ordered it from Swanson Ford (I think that's the name, been awhile) in Las Gatos, CA. I guess than Swanson Ford sent the order to San Jose District Sales Office and than to the San Jose Assembly Plant to be built. Wonder how much money changed hands on the way there.. HMMMM

Anyway, He DID NOT like the sweep type speedo and opted out/deleted I guess the word is and ordered the round speedo WITH the 4 'gauges' around the speedo. Fuel / Temp / Alt / Oil. And yes, the oil DAA light also works. You have to have both types of sending units at the oil filter housing.
This combo could be ordered from the factory. He also ordered the lower plate that says 'Custom Cab' on it. He was lucky on that I guess because they discontinued that bottom plate earlier in 65' I believe, not sure on that, but I guess they still had a bunch in stock still. They also still used them on the BIG cc trucks for a couple years I think. Both the upper and lower sections were painted 'Argent', I think that's how you spell it, leaving the edges shinny. Upper was chromed plated and lower was SS.
He ordered it with pretty much everything he wanted.

I still have the window sticker/ build sheet stored away which has all the deleted and option/added stuff. It has deleted seat belts, he didn't much like em. The truck is torn down for repaint and modifications. Soon as summer comes around and I gain a little more funds, I will do some more on it as time allows. Think its going to be a long project. Slowing down I guess.

However - to continue. Its been a love/hate relationship over the years. It was stolen once, broken into twice with stuff stolen. Second time it was broken into they stole my seats, console, and an aftermarket tank cover that was made of some type of plastic. They knew exactly what they wanted. They didn't even take a camera I had on the floor. They got what they wanted. Sad thing is,,, It had to be a fellow F-100 guy. And on top of that the fact I was not really taking the care of it as I should have over the years.

My friend left it to me. He shipped out in 66' and didn't make it through his first tour. He only had a few weeks to go. He ordered the truck in May, 65', if I remember correctly and it was built in July of 65'. BUT it was not built as he wanted it. SO, he didn't take position of it until around the first of OCT, I think. So long ago. He only got a few months to enjoy it before he shipped out. I shipped out in 68' so not much time to enjoy it either.

Here is some of the warranty info...

F10DR714387
115 (blank) F100 H81 G A8
5000 172 4000 722549

This is the info on the back of the speedo

C1TF-17255-M
April 1965

Sorry guys for the long post.
Dealerships deal with picky customers - the factory assembly lines don't

Dealerships will bent over backwards - drill holes in the frame to mount a bumper, drill holes in the dash to mount a radio, drill holes into new doors to mount mirrors, carve out huge chunks of new metal to install a bedside tool compartment if it didn't have one but the buyer wanted one. Install air horns and fire extinguishers. I bet they would be the ones to swap a speedometer rather than the assembly line trying to deal with that sort of petty detail. Simple to pull 8 screws and a few wires and swap it - probably a lot less time than mounting mirrors or installing bedside tool compartments. I can tell if a radio is factory or not - I can tell if a bedside toolbox is factory or not - and if I were able to have access to this truck I could tell you if the cluster is factory installed or dealer installed.

I'm not saying you are wrong - just that odds are this was part of the dealer prep.

Chad

Old 01-29-2018, 04:02 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Got the lower CC instrument panel trim today, it looks a lot better in person than the picture looked, and for future reference, it looks like Stainless but it sticks to a magnet, so not sure what it is.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:32 PM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
quote from the interwebs -

"Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not. A ferritic stainless steel owes its magnetism to two factors: its high concentration of iron and its fundamental structure."

In a nutshell, lower quality SS tends to stick a magnet. Next time your shopping for a stainless steel BBQ take a magnet with you. If it sticks keep walking.

Chad

Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TA455HO
quote from the interwebs -

"Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not. A ferritic stainless steel owes its magnetism to two factors: its high concentration of iron and its fundamental structure."

In a nutshell, lower quality SS tends to stick a magnet. Next time your shopping for a stainless steel BBQ take a magnet with you. If it sticks keep walking.

Chad

Well, it would make sense to use cheap stainless inside, wont get the abuse of an exterior part. And this one did hold up very well. Now I just need a diameter measurement for the tach in a rally -pac and I'll have my instruments all under control.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:01 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Chad, I do agree that dealers will sometimes promise or do just about anything to make a 'deal' happen. I've also seen some real butcher jobs they have done - sad.
As for the dealership installing the speedo, I'm sure it was the factory. We were at the dealership the next morning after it was delivered.
I remember seeing a different truck where the dealer just installed a spot light on the driver’s side. Man, they really butchered it. The cowling was all bent around the arm bracket. There was a note pinned to the window with some very colorful words. I assume from the buyer. Gee, go figure.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:47 AM
TA455HO
Lead Driver
Fritz it is a damn shame your buddy didn't keep his head down (figure of speech) so he could have come back and enjoyed the fruits of his labor. If you ever find the paperwork I'd be keen on seeing that.

Little story about one day in my life. I was the Army's top sniper for about 3 years until I got out. During my combat experience we were having a real problem telling the natives from the Cubans. Sometimes the Cubans would engage with us and sometimes they would stash their weapons and don civilian clothes and blend in with the natives. Eventually, one of the Sergeants (E5) in the same company as me, but different platoon, FREAKED OUT. He took a couple of natives hostage in their own house, I guess thinking they were Cubans. They tried for some time to talk him down but he had gone over the edge. I guess about 2 hours passed and they called on me to take him down. One of the most difficult things I have ever had to do, since I knew the guy fairly well. I will probably never get over it but they couldn't let him stay there and we had to keep moving. Really still gives me terrible dreams to this day.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Chad

Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Sometimes keeping your head down is not an option. He was with a Hatchet team at the time. We were both with MACV.

By the way, I saw one of those lower stainless pieces at a swap meet a couple weeks ago. Tried to buy it from the guy but it was already sold to a friend of his.
"missed it by that much"... Heck, I didn't need it - I just wanted it. ;o)

Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 AM
FlintMich
New User
Sometimes keeping your head down is not an option. He was with a Hatchet team at the time. We were both with MACV.

By the way, I saw one of those lower stainless pieces at a swap meet a couple weeks ago. Tried to buy it from the guy but it was already sold to a friend of his.
"missed it by that much"... Heck, I didn't need it - I just wanted it. ;o)

OK, how many of us older guys read that quote, even silently, in the voice of Maxwell Smart?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Yeah, I miss some of the oldies. The original Superman series and one of my favorites - Hogan's Heroes. Gotta love em.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 AM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Using the Amazon Firestick and can watch many old shows when you want. Watched F Troop a while back.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
WOW, F-troop. I forgot all about that one.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Paul Gavin
New User
HI GUYS I AM NEW SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME . I'VE JUST BEEN READING EVERYTHING AND SEEING HOW WHAT A GREAT SITE THIS IS I JUST RECENTLY GOT A 66 F 250 CAMPER SPECIAL AND AM GOING TO FIX HER UP SO I AM REALLY GLAD TO BE A PART OF ALL THIS AND HOPE I CAN BE OF SOME HELP ALSO I JUST NOTICED A THREAD ABOUT THE SPEDO I DIDN'T REALIZE THEY MADE A DIFFERANCE BUT MTNE HAS THE SWEEP BUT I HAVE A ROUND ONE MY BUDDY GAVE ME YEARS AGO THAT I DIDN'T NEED BUT KEPT IT ALONG WITH A FEW OTHER PARTS HIS WAS OFF A 65 F 100 BUT HAS THOSE SAME FACTORY NUMBERS ON THE BACK EXCEPT THE LETTER L INSTEAD OF THE M AND IT IS ALSO STAMPED SEPT 1964. O WELL LIKE I SAID NICE PLACE TO BE A PART OF NOW THANK YOU ALL.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
WELCOME, yes this is like a family. Sometimes "too much family". Family members sometimes argue with each other. BUT, most of the times we pretty much have fun and share great info. AND with that said, some of those that are still locked up in winter location,,,,,, they can sometimes get a little tessssssty. At least until all that cold goes away and they can get out of their cave... That's ok, we still love em all. The cold will go away soon brothers and sisters...

By the way, what the heck is MTNE ? Is this text language ? Plus I might let you know before someone tries to brand you with a hot iron,,, you might want to stop using 'all' caps. Its kind of like yelling. Course on the other hand, some of us are old farts and ya might need to yell just to get our attention.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster ?