Lawsuit - Anyone heard of this? - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit - Anyone heard of this?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lawsuit - Anyone heard of this?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I understand what each component does - It's that the DPF needs heat to turn the soot to ash, so to me, it seemed that you would want the DPF as close to the engine as possible. On some European diesel cars the DPF is actually part of the manifold, maybe this is true on your MB diesels too? Only because heat is coming from the engine to begin with. But now I understand that the SCR closer to the engine is good for NOX. The document said there was a trade-off to which one was positioned first in the technical part.

I look at it this way, a whole lot of people, who know a whole lot more about diesel engine design and engineering worked on this - so they should know better than I do.

What is really fluff in the lawsuit is the the MPG claims, since our trucks are exempt from EPA mileage estimates, to me that is something that probably won't get very far. Even though I'd like to see an EPA estimate, I understand why they are exempt. But it would be interesting to see what they would get on the EPA test cycle.

At the end, what they want for "us" is what they sorta got for VW owners. Money for loss of value or a buy back...

Supposedly the law firm did the same tests that outed VW and the same results happened - but until a neutral third party does it and/or the EPA does it and says it.

My guess is a lot will be riding on the EPA testing and you are very correct in that they will find out and that ruling will be crucial to the case.
MB puts the oxidation catalyst and the DPF in what looks like a single cat in the exhaust, before the SCR stuff.
I did chuckle about the mention of MB being under investigation by the department of justice. That had nothing to do with emissions. A MB rep selling trucks in some 3rd world **** hole got sucked into a bribery pay to play corrupt government. Somehow that means the doj has to oversee MB stateside that they're not doing it here.
MB had a very similar suite thrown out early last year, even as the EPA revoked the certification on the passenger car diesels. Talking to my engineer insider, MB's original software ran clean and in emission compliance. The problem came as they updated things to please the EPA over the years. All the software patches changed things just enough that they fell out of compliance. MB feels a from scratch rewrite of the software will fix it, a recall will be launched at some point to all their diesels going back to 2013 at least.
I am concerned that the EPA may use this VW scandal to reinterpret the rules and essentially move the goal posts...

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 AM
EO2SeaBee
Proudly Deplorable
EO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputation
Howdy Chad! Funny how the quest to tweak things to make them better ends up making things worse instead, when leaving it alone would've been great!

Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
One of the funnier updates was some people figured out that you could just dump water into the DEF tank to reset the countdown to doom. You would get a CEL, but that was not good enough.... countdown to doom needed to continue per EPA.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
That countdown to doom is the reason people delete... Even if only a small percent of vehicles our there malfunction.

Interesting on MB issues. Hope they get it figured out and get the EPA cert. back.

Want your "boatload" of cash, have the EPA revoke Ford's diesel cert for all super duties. All of sudden our trucks will shoot up in value because you can't get a new one. Not that I want that.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess I'm missing something here? If the trucks get the certification pulled their illegal to drive on the road Most states will make you pull them off they're worth nothing their value will not go up considering you can't sell them remember Volkswagen no one could sell one we'll have to wait and see. As far as the issue with my 2017 right now the dealer said no flash it's simply a dog how funny is that quite the technical term is it the turbo bad?? the hpfp ??? how can a Diesel have no power they have no answer they're going to arbitrate the truck for a new one I can't wait to hear how f##k I am lol I think I'm Giving Up on diesel and going back to gas too bad they didn't offer the V10 in a single rear wheel anymore take care looks like I'm out of the diesel debate no matter what happens

Old 01-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
@Chuck-B VWs NoX levels at idle were well within limits too, the cheat device knows it's being sniffer tested. If you read the complaint, the cheat device could even tell the vehicle was being driven on a dyno, because the wheels were moving and the steering wheel or in a FWD/RWD case the other axle's tires were not moving. Note - I didn't see anything in the test results that indicated Ford was doing this though.
I believe they tested my truck at idle. Now they wouldn’t let me watch – which annoyed the hell out of me – so I stood outside and listened. I never heard a sound like it was on the dyno type device. The loudest sound I heard was when the idiot forgot to put the truck in reverse when backing it out of their garage.

Originally Posted by radium View Post
I guess I'm missing something here? If the trucks get the certification pulled their illegal to drive on the road Most states will make you pull them off they're worth nothing
At this point my opinion is that Hagens Berman is fishing looking for a big pay day. This firm has gone after Fiat Chrysler, Mercedes, General Motors and Bosch alleging a conspiracy with Ford. I work for a major corporation; in most instances they would rather pay folks off vs. deal with a tarnished public image. Given this law suit was filed on January 10th and hasn’t been picked up by any major media lends credence to my fishing theory. There’s no way the government is going to pull the 6.7’s certification even if it were true.