Bad gas mileage - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Bad gas mileage

Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM
twigsV10
Posting Guru
twigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud of
Interesting, I replaced the FPR several years ago and haven't looked that closely at it. Time to look again I guess?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM
rowdyredneck
Elder User
rowdyredneck has a good reputation on FTE.rowdyredneck has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Did you ever measure the fuel injector pulse width Before & After the fuel pressure regulator was replaced, if so post up the Numbers.
No, I didn't. I attempted to view pulse width, MAP, and the oxygen sensor parameters with the scanner but found I can't view live data with it on that year. I know I could have read the pulse width with my test meter but once I found the fuel pressure was way off I didn't have any reason to test it further.

I'm still running on the same tank of gas so I won't have any solid numbers on mileage until I refill and drive awhile. I might take it on a longer trip this weekend so I'll be filling up before then. I'm curious myself to see how the mileage is now with the new oxygen sensor and that poor ground connection fixed compared to what I was getting before the regulator went bad.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rowdyredneck View Post
I'm still completely stumped as to why it kept throwing a lean exhaust code.
It is possible the problem is with the way the code definition is written. If for example the definition is "engine lean, no O2 switching" that is pretty straight forward but if the definition is "engine at lean adaptive limit, no O2 switching" that actually means the computer has leaned out the mixture as much as it can but the motor is still running rich.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:17 PM
rowdyredneck
Elder User
rowdyredneck has a good reputation on FTE.rowdyredneck has a good reputation on FTE.
I filled up last night and took it on a longer drive today. After logging 130 miles I stopped and filled up again to check my mileage: 17.6 mpg. That's about as good as I've ever had with this truck. I haven't checked it for a long time under normal conditions but I always used to average 16-17 mpg most of the time.

Now I'm noticing it starts a little harder than normal after the engine is warmed up. Cranks over normal speed but cranks longer than it should before it starts. I pulled the line off the regulator and its not leaking through and I've tried both cycling the key on and off several times and holding the pedal to the floor while cranking but it makes no difference. Its not a big deal, just a slight annoyance. I'll deal with it later when I have more time. At least I can afford to drive it again now.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Ok, so it seems the mpg is back to normal & that's a good thing.

On the slow Hot restart, begin a new thread for that & the forum will try & assist in thinking through a trouble shoot for it.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM
twigsV10
Posting Guru
twigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud oftwigsV10 has much to be proud of
Spark plugs could probably stand to be changed, guessing they suffered with the fuel issues.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM
spooktn
Elder User
spooktn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would think if plugs needed to be changed the 17.6 mileage would not happen,,, slower harder to start with engine hot makes me think timing might be a little high

Old 01-21-2018, 07:04 PM
rowdyredneck
Elder User
I pulled the plugs last weekend when I was checking other things and they look good. They were recently replaced and the tips were light brown in color. I'm wondering if one of the temp sensors I swapped in from my parts truck last weekend may be skewed. Since I can't read live data with the scanner I'll have to backprobe them with my test meter and check the voltage. I'm not too concerned with it right now...it always starts, just cranks longer than normal before it starts. I have other projects waiting before I can get back to it. At least my mileage is reasonable again. I can live with it like this for now until I get more time to test things on it.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:30 PM
ArmamentDawg
Senior User
ArmamentDawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pull your plugs one at a time and see if one (or all) of your cylinders is running rich.