ROTATIONAL CLICKING IN FRONT END TURNS INTO MAJOR SURGERY - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

ROTATIONAL CLICKING IN FRONT END TURNS INTO MAJOR SURGERY

Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Posting Guru

Big-Red-Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ROTATIONAL CLICKING IN FRONT END TURNS INTO MAJOR SURGERY

Had a rotational clicking noise for a few months. Started during a long roadtrip. Initially thought it was in a front wheel. Faster clicking with acceleration, with or without brakes applied. Mechanics thought it was a caliper. No. Thought it was a 4x4 actuator. No. Then thought it was a driveshaft & replaced. No. Now they are opening up the differential and they need it till next week to finish.

Should I be trusting this vehicle as reliable afterwards, and is there anything else I should make them do while still under warranty??? Comments appreciated!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
Ruh roh. Time for a new truck!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Senior User

storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
The real question is Does the OP trust his Service Dept ? If you do, then its no problem, but if you don't then it is a Problem. I had a dealer I couldn't trust their service dept as far as I could throw them nor did I have any trust in their sales staff. But they had the BEST body shop (obviously run by a 3rd party), but dealership is really close to where I live. My next purchase ended up at a dealership 40 miles away.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Posting Guru

New truck wb nice but trading a 2016 with 18,000 miles is a little excessive for my budget!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Freshman User

forgottenben is starting off with a positive reputation.
Once the incompetent mechanics fix the problem I donít see why thereíd be any reliability issues.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Posting Guru

going to drive it from Canada to Florida shortly...hoping the powertrain doesn't fall out in some sketchy neighborhood half way down. Wish me luck!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Elder User

PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, if they replace enough parts trying to find the real problem at least you'll have half of a new truck.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

this is true. Once they open up the differential, should I be asking for a whole new one vs replacing (guessing) ground up gears?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Posting Guru

Is anyone having differential issues at low mileage and what was done to correct?
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Freshman User

If thereís metal shavings then yes but if there an issue in the differential it wouldnít be going out over a long period. Mine went out in like twenty miles. Besides gears grinding doesnít make a clicking noise. It makes a.... wait for it.... a grinding noise.
Is the noise in the front or the back? If itís in the front then itís definitely not the differential because the front differential doesnít spin unless youíre in 4x4.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Senior User

howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
>Should I be trusting this vehicle as reliable afterwards

Your truck has one minor problem. Once that's fixed it should not have any problems, so trustworthy, as long as the dealer techs don't make any installation errors. Their diagnostic skills are sub-par, but that's different than mechanical/installation skill.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Elder User

PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.PupnDuck has a good reputation on FTE.
This may sound like a stupid suggestion but have you tried swapping the tires front to rear and see if the noise changes.

Just say'in....
Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupnDuck View Post
This may sound like a stupid suggestion but have you tried swapping the tires front to rear and see if the noise changes.

Just say'in....
Lol. Just picturing a piece of gravel in the treads. That happens to me all the time
Old 01-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenben View Post
Lol. Just picturing a piece of gravel in the treads. That happens to me all the time
I imagine a piece of gravel would have fallen out by now but I once had a tire where the tread layer had separated from one of the steel belts in one small area. It made funny noises that I couldn't pin down until I moved the tire and the noise followed it.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
This really isn't a huge deal, about a day's labor for most. I had my differential redone twice in my '13 after the tech set the pinion depth incorrectly. No big deal though, dropped the truck off and picked it up later that week with new parts.

I wouldn't call this "major surgery" by any stretch. My little Escape is going for a similar driveline repair that'll take them a day-and-a-half next week and I'm not concerned at all.