Lock Haven in the 1950ís - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lock Haven in the 1950ís

Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior User

pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.
Lock Haven in the 1950ís

Abe, here was a picture on Hemings Daily. Do you recognize the place?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoplumber View Post
Abe, here was a picture on Hemings Daily. Do you recognize the place?

Sure do! Its called Unkel Joe's Woodshed. It's still open and doing well. This picture has been in the Old Photo section of our paper and I've seen it on Facebook.

Unkel Joe's was known for discount items. They bought over runs, seconds and so on, sort of like Big Lots or an Ollie's. Unkel Joe's was started by Joe Anderson. His business partner then opened a store in Altoona. Both are still in business after both owners have died.

The store in Lock Haven looks pretty much the same. The side of the building has been painted over. My wife still loves to shop there.

There's a lot of neat 50s iron sitting there.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Senior User

pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.
Abe, could you post a then and now picture sometime? Dennis
Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Elder User

52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Not a single truck or SUV in sight. Driving habits and vehicle preferences have certainly changed. How did we manage in snow without 4x4 wheel drive? In the Soo, where I grew up, 150 inches of snow was typical--200+ inches possible. My Dad had a 1950 Merc and later a 55 Olds--and CHAINS.

Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Elder User

CBeav has a great reputation on FTE.CBeav has a great reputation on FTE.CBeav has a great reputation on FTE.CBeav has a great reputation on FTE.
No 4wd AND just bias-ply tires. In southern Ohio the only vehicle we had with snow tires was the farm pick-up truck. I never had any experience with chains until I moved to Colorado in '76.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:49 PM
Junior User

Olboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is a 57 Chrysler New Yorker in the lower right corner (2nd car in). It would have had a 392 hemi in it. My dad still have is 57 New Yorker convertible from back in the day...
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Not a single truck or SUV in sight. Driving habits have changed. How did we manage in snow without 4x4 wheel drive? In the Soo, where I grew up, 150 inches of snow was typical--200+ inches possible. My Dad had a 1950 Merc and later a 55 Olds--and CHAINS.

Jim
You are right about that , Jim. Lock Haven is not a big town but I'm sure these shoppers were from town and not the outlying farming areas. City folks didn't have trucks and most farmers would not come to town in their dirty old truck.

We lived on a small farm and my Dad had a 48 3/4 ton 5 window cab Chevy truck. He had 9 brothers and most of them lived in Lancaster and they didn't have a truck. So they would borrow Dad's. It wasn't cool to have a truck back then. If Dad had to pick up my sister when she stayed late after school she did t want him coming in the truck. That's just the way it was and the auto manufacturers really changed that with their ads.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Not a single truck or SUV in sight. Driving habits and vehicle preferences have certainly changed. How did we manage in snow without 4x4 wheel drive? In the Soo, where I grew up, 150 inches of snow was typical--200+ inches possible. My Dad had a 1950 Merc and later a 55 Olds--and CHAINS.

Jim
I noticed that there were no trucks also Jim. Driving habits have certainly changed with the building of Interstate Highways starting in the early '50s pushed by President Eisenhower. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area with lots of hills and snow. The biggest snow that I remember was 54" in our area north of town. No school for a week. But normally everyone never had that far to go as many families lived near each other. I can count on one hand the number of times that I installed tire chains, and that included on a Jeep CJ-6 that we used to plow snow to make money for our Scout Troop (I was lucky as I was 15 and had a drivers license so I got to drive).

People's experience or ability to drive in snow in an area plays a big part. I lived in Atlanta in 1982 and experienced the Snow Jam. People just didn't know how to drive on snow and nobody had snow tires or chains. On hills people didn't wait at the bottom to see if the car in front of them made it, so they would go up the hill together and the first car would get stuck and then the whole group got stuck blocking the road. It was a mess. And that was with less than 4" of snow.