1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need some help with a 54 f250

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Hotshot4773
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with a 54 f250

Hello everybody my name's Isaac. A bit about me I've got about 10 years experience being a welder/ metal fabricator and have been into hot rods since I could crawl but anyways onto my story.

Ive been reading through the forum a lot here lately trying to get as much info as possible but I'm needing some guidance with this f250 I've recently received. I'm at big cross roads with it as to what I want to do with it. From what I've gathered the f250s have the long 8ft bed that is also taller than the f1s bed and also the front and rear fenders are also wider. If I keep it a long bed I plan to put some 70s model axles underneath it and do a 4x4 conversion and keep it relatively simple. Where my problem lies is I'm addicted to hot rods and have always like the looks of the short bed f1s. And although i have no problem with keeping the long bed and have seen numerous pictures of nicely done 4x4 conversions i cant seem to find any pictures of what the longer taller bed looks cut down to short bed length Now for all of you who would say well if you want a f1 then sale the f2 and buy and build a f1 That's not goin to be a option for me I did not buy this f2 i have nothing into it. it just sort of fell into my lap. I had another truck for sale and I received this truck in package deal trade
so if any one has any pictures of a cut down f2 bed I'd love to see them Maybe they will help me with my decision making

Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Might be easier to sell the bed and buy a replacement vs cutting one down. The beds up to 1972 (ish?) where the same but after 56 had different bolt holes in the fender for the running board. If you can weld it's a no issue. There might be some tiny differences in how they mount after 56, its been a while since I researched it but I remember thinking there was no issue.

The bed is taller and wider, the rear fenders are the same. Cutting a bed down requires moving the stake pillars and trimming all the wood. It's not a big deal but I'd personally rather weld up a few holes vs doing that. I've seen complete beds go for about $300 in good condition with wood. If you keep your original fenders you shouldn't have an issue.

Your running boards are also longer. If they are in good condition you might be able to sell them or trade them for a set of F100 running boards. They're more rare but need a builder using a long bed. In truth depending on where you're located you might be able to trade your parts for F100 parts. There are guys out there who have stock piles of stuff and long beds are harder to come by.

If you go shorter you will also have to shorten your frame. If you swap frames you'll loose room inside the bed as modern frames have a lot more kick up above the rear axle. These 50s trucks are pretty flat as far as a frame goes.

My truck does have the equivalent of a shortened long bed on it... but it's not going to help you much because my truck is an F600 and much larger in everything but the cab and hood. Pictures in the link in my signature.

So I don't have any other photos of a shortened long bed, but I do have some photos of an F250 4x4 with a long bed. Least that will show you what that route looks like. An F250 would be more rare and stick out a little more in my opinion. They're not super rare or anything, just uncommon to see at a car show.

He's done some fender work on these, so the openings are a lot larger than normal:

And there are a couple of us who have done or are doing 4x4 conversions that will be able to answer some questions about that for you.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Welcome to FTE, Isaac.

I don't have anything to add to what Stephen has said, but wanted to welcome you to the friendliest motor forum on the WWW.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Isaac, welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web!

What Steve says is accurate. And the as he said the rear fenders are all the same. The front fenders of F100 to F600 are the same width. The difference is in the wheel opening arc. That depends in wheel size .17" and larger wheels get larger openings.

I think a 4 wheel drive F250 looks pretty cool and would save you a lot of work. Plus the F250 bed has rubs in the bed so you could run larger tires.....

Keep us posted with updates. Tell us where you are located as that might help you find parts with members nearby.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Hotshot4773
New User
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Claremore oklahoma by the way. And thank your for sharing those pictures. Those are some of the trucks that have been trying to convince me to stay long bed and go with a 4x4 setup. Also the wood in my bed is non existent so that is a non issue and cutting the frame, bed and side steps wouldn't be much of a issue just would take time I've done a few long bed c10s in the past that have came out great. Hopefully some one will chime In with a picture of a shortend long bed

Old 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by Hotshot4773
Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Claremore oklahoma by the way. And thank your for sharing those pictures. Those are some of the trucks that have been trying to convince me to stay long bed and go with a 4x4 setup. Also the wood in my bed is non existent so that is a non issue and cutting the frame, bed and side steps wouldn't be much of a issue just would take time I've done a few long bed c10s in the past that have came out great. Hopefully some one will chime In with a picture of a shortend long bed
If it is well done a shortened long bed would look like a short bed.....

You can buy reproduction short bed sides, front panels and rear cross member for $600 from MidWest Early Ford. You could cut your own wood . You'd need to buy bed strips and the two middle cross members, and a tailgate..

I'm sure you could sell, if in good condition, your long bed to an F250 owner in need of one.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like this one was trimmed down:

Your best bet will probably be some photoshopping, not a lot of people have done it.

8" out from the cab and rear fender, and a little bit trimmed off at the rear.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Hotshot4773
New User
Well I went an did it now. I've made up my mind. Ive decided to keep it the long bed and embrace it lol. I purchased a good running jeep wagoneer for for parts. Body was in rough shape and had a lost title so bill of sale only but that shouldnt matter for me to much. I Plan to use most of it for the conversion including engine and trans and tc if possible. Not completely stoked about running a non ford power plant but the amc 360 will get me goin for now. I'll start another build thread once I've got a few more parts located.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Good decision. The long bed isn't seen near as much and will offer a bit of uniqueness.
So, are you keeping the axles? If not, what ratio is the rear? I'm seriously considering getting something that will go faster than my 4.88. I hope to find a 3.73 somewhere.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Personally, I like the taller bed. One of the reasons I like the mid-fifty Fords better than the bowties is the bed. (Among 100 other reasons) To me, the bowtie bed just looks to shallow. Squatty is the word that comes to mind. The cab and hood just seem to tower over the bed. The difference isn't a lot, but it means a lot.

The tall bed, like the OP's, looks good on the slant or 56 cabs. It lines up well with the reveal just below the door glass, coming from the hood and cowl.

Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Hotshot4773
New User
Stock axles will not be used im using the wagoneer axles and Honestly I don't know what ratio gears are in the truck now I've never driven it but I'm sure I can check it out this weekend And report back

Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

That is so true, Effie, about the 48 to 54 Chevy trucks. My Dad always had 12 inch sideboards on his 48 Chevy so he could haul bigger loads to and from the mill and around the farm. When he took them off, the bed looked so weird since the bed was so low. What was Chevy thinking? They couldn't haul much as they came out of the factory.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I would keep it a lwb f-250 and do the conversion...a 4x4 would look great....

Old 03-17-2018, 05:43 PM
Hotshot4773
New User
Progress has started im getting rid the original y block, trans and rear end. Gearing In the rear end seams to be 3.54 for anyone that is interested.
will be making a for sale thread in the market place

Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM
Hotshot4773
New User
Anyone know if I have to have a premium account to list things for sale says I'm not allowed

Quick Reply: Need some help with a 54 f250