Show Me Your Cab Dollies... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Show Me Your Cab Dollies...

Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 AM
Junior User

Hanger53 has a good reputation on FTE.Hanger53 has a good reputation on FTE.
Show Me Your Cab Dollies...

Going to put together a dolly to set my cab on so it can be easily moved around while we are working on it. Iím thinking it doesnít need to be to elaborate.
I see a lot of them here but the cabs are on them and itís hard to see how they were put together...
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Posting Guru

pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Harbor freight wheels and 2x6 . all wheels spin.

its simple and easy dont over think it
Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Postmaster

jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
here's mine only change I'd make would be taller casters so the engine hoist could roll under the dolly to seat and remove cab...but it worked great for body work
https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/cabdolly/cabdolly.htm

john
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Senior User

pholmes350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not mine in the photo but I built one exactly like it except I used 6" pneumatic casters from Harbor Freight so I could roll it outside in the grass for rust/paint removal and on/off a trailer if needed. Credit to finding this on FTE but I can't remember whose thread.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Senior User

Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
Years ago I built one to move my '46 Chevy cab back and forth on the chassis. I used appliance dollies split in two with one on the front of the frame and one on the back. The feet were about five feet long and the uprights were just high enough to get the cab over the chassis by a few inches. I put gussets in the corners of the top plate and legs to keep it from wobbling sideways.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
Here is mine. The overall dimensions are 54" side to side, by 51" front to back. Being low to the ground did make it a little more difficult painting around the bottom, but made it a lot easier painting the top.

Like John, mine was too low for the hoist to slide under. In box "C" you can see a notch in the bottom to allow the hoist legs to clear.

The upright 2x4 "B" slides into the rear cab mount pockets. I did this so I could roll it onto a trailer without having to worry about the cab sliding off the dolly.

The floor pan at the front cab mounts rests on the upright 2x6s "A". A lag bolt was run through the front cab mount bolt-hole into the top of the 2x6. Again, this kept the cab from sliding around on the dolly.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior User

pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.pintoplumber has a great reputation on FTE.
Nothing fancy, I screwed casters on the bottom of pallets.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Here is what I used. I made it wide so the cab would fit nose down or upright. I used 2x4s so it is light weight and can be stored vertically when not in use. I also used steel wheels because I have found rubber has a tendency to flat spot after sitting a while. Not a big deal but just my preference.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Mine was much like what Pintopluber did, long since recycled. The bare cab is so light it can be dragged around on a canvas or tarp and tipped to obtain the best working angle for what section you're working on. No, I did roll the cab onto the top.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Posting Guru

pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
You know in hindsight i am wondering if we should be building cab dollies big enough to be bed dollies also. I have several cabs and beds that i need to move easily. Has anyone done 1 for both.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Postmaster

jniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant futurejniolon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweng1 View Post
You know in hindsight i am wondering if we should be building cab dollies big enough to be bed dollies also. I have several cabs and beds that i need to move easily. Has anyone done 1 for both.
someone say bed dollies ??

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/bedwork/beddolly.htm
Old 01-14-2018, 01:29 AM
Senior User

pholmes350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweng1 View Post
Yes. The dolly that I posted above works for either. My bed is on it now.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Senior User

Marten is starting off with a positive reputation.

This is my cab dollie after I put my box on it. Same as others, just 2 x 4 with large wheels for moving. Then just some more 2 x 4 to hold up the box at a comfortable height. As a bonus, it is wide enough that it slides over the frame and can be parked on top of the truck when needed. Sorry no picture of that.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I have built quite a few like this, I don't use the pneumatic tires any longer since they don't want to swivel easily.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
I have built quite a few like this, I don't use the pneumatic tires any longer since they don't want to swivel easily.
I think I more or less copied mine from yours. I made it with whatever I had, so it ended up 2x6s instead of 2x4s.