Fuel filter over pressure 2001 f350 7.3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Fuel filter over pressure 2001 f350 7.3

Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 PM
New User

BERTRAM42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel filter over pressure 2001 f350 7.3

2001 F350 with 7.3 diesel and standard fuel filter housing. Started leaking fuel out of blow down valve 3 weeks ago. I replaced blow down valve and it continued to leak. Researched forum on ford enthusiast and found description of similar problem with owner finally rebuilding return pressure control valve solving problem. Replaced today and still leaking. Blew return line with compressed air and could hear fuel tank pressure venting. Unscrewed fuel cap which completely relieved pressure. Ran again with cap off but still leaks. I don't see any damage to fuel return line.
So any ideas on what it could be? Could fuel pump be overpressurizing bowl? I will be installing pressure gage to check. Not sure if there is any other filter or screen on return line to fuel tank.

Any ideas or help appreciated as it's leaking fuel badly.
thanks
paul
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Senior User

bwguardian is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have new o-rings on the fuel drain valve I assume. That is essentially a ball valve and cant' think of how it could leak by as the weaker link is the rubber cap seal. The tank has a filter sock but that would actually restrict flow. Have you checked/listened to the electric fuel pump that sits on the frame rail right below the drivers seat to see if it is shutting off?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:52 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
You have new o-rings on the fuel drain valve I assume. That is essentially a ball valve and cant' think of how it could leak by as the weaker link is the rubber cap seal. The tank has a filter sock but that would actually restrict flow. Have you checked/listened to the electric fuel pump that sits on the frame rail right below the drivers seat to see if it is shutting off?
thanks for replying....I replaced entire drain valve assembly (removed entire unit to do this it's a dOrman part but looked fine). I cleaned pressure control return valve (found some junk and cleaned). Still leaked. I ordered new internals for return valve and replaced yesterday. Still leaking.
I'm baffled. Blew back to tank thru line and it pressurized fuel tank so it's flowing as I can hear venting off. Not sure if there is anything in tank on return line that could be restricting flow.

Pump is shutting off as it should as I can hear come on and off with key. I'm going to try and attach a pressure Guage to port and see if pump is over pressurizing filter assembly.

and further ideas appreciated as I said I'm baffled.
truck has 180000 miles and I think fuel pump is Original so you would think output flow would drop not increase.
thanks
paul
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERTRAM42 View Post
thanks for replying....I replaced entire drain valve assembly (removed entire unit to do this it's a dOrman part but looked fine). I cleaned pressure control return valve (found some junk and cleaned). Still leaked. I ordered new internals for return valve and replaced yesterday. Still leaking.
I'm baffled. Blew back to tank thru line and it pressurized fuel tank so it's flowing as I can hear venting off. Not sure if there is anything in tank on return line that could be restricting flow.

Pump is shutting off as it should as I can hear come on and off with key. I'm going to try and attach a pressure Guage to port and see if pump is over pressurizing filter assembly.

and further ideas appreciated as I said I'm baffled.
truck has 180000 miles and I think fuel pump is Original so you would think output flow would drop not increase.
thanks
paul
do you know if theRe is "sock" or filter on return line in tank?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Senior User

CousinCarl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERTRAM42 View Post
do you know if theRe is "sock" or filter on return line in tank?
The 7.3 stock has the filter in the bay and 2 strainers in the tank. They clog and will restrict flow - they don't explain your leaks.

Are you sure it's coming from the drain valve still? It could be leaking from the lid - commonly people place the o-ring on wrong. The beveled point goes up. Make sure the lid is snug. This will solve any issue if it's leaking from the lid and dripping on the drain valve. I've heard of cracks in the bowl itself as well maybe near your valve? If you're confident it is still the new drain valve leaking, I wonder if you may have stripped the screws going into the soft aluminum bowl and it is no longer sealing adequately.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Senior User

^^^...I assume you just copied wrong and asking per my post. The sock filter is on the fuel supply pickup. How old is the fuel filter, what does it look like, and does it have the o-ring installed on the bottom of the screen?

Also, if a stock pump is still in there I would highly recommend getting rid of that quick disconnect behind the pump back towards the tank. They are well known to suck air as those connections are designed to be under pressure and not suction.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Senior User

Another question...is the fuel leaking out of the valve assembly down into the valley of the engine, or is it coming out of the end of metal tube at the bottom passenger side of the engine and onto the ground?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM
New User

The fuel filter is fairly new. It originally dripped from the tube. I pulled it off stem out of blowdown valve so I could see it dripping right out of it. It is not coming from cap. I can see it dripping right out end of blowdown tube coming out of valve.The screws went in perfectly and firmly when I installed new blow down valve with filter housing on bench.

I'm avoiding driving it as it's leaking puddles if I let it idle. Fortunately I have other vehicles. I'm going to put gauge on it either today or over weekend.

absolutely puzzled
thanks
paul
Old 01-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior User

Read through alot of bad reviews on that Dorman unit relative to initially leaking, or doing so after just a couple of months! One person stated putting the o-rings back into the stock factory valve and problem solved. Must be some tolerance issues with it.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
was the fuel pump replaced?

I know that there are differences in lift pump PSI depending on engine.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Senior User

CousinCarl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paul, I don't want this to sound like a "well, did you plug it in" insulting type of question when I ask this, but the valve is in the off position (toward the passenger side of the truck all the way and not flipped open toward the windshield), correct?

Sounds like the 2 o-rings are sealing against the bowl if the only dripping is in the tube itself. I am not aware if there is a common issue of faulty valve guts/inner o-ring with the Dorman assembly or not. The valve only goes in one way so I don't see how there could be a valve alignment issue with the part itself.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:29 AM
New User

memacon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had same problem

My 2001 7.3 had the same problem. Original leak was from the tube. Took it to my mechanic and they replaced the drain valve on the fuel filter housing. The next morning I had fuel all over the ground. Took it back and found out they got the valve from auto parts store. Went to Ford to get the valve and no more leaks.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 AM
New User

Thanks for response...I ordered Original blowdown valve assembly and will try that. I have had problems with other dorman products as well.
I will post if this solves it.

thanks
paul