Truck wont start... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truck wont start...

Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM
F151
Junior User
F151 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck wont start...

I had my starter rebuilt, installed new cables, and a new starter solenoid/relay. The solenoid/relay I have since returned to autozone because it didn't work. I installed the old solenoid and there was movement but not enough to turn the starter. I've tried touching the starter cable to the other post on the solenoid/relay and there was spark and i some turning in the starter but still no dice. I rocked the truck back and forth in 3rd gear and that didn't work as well. I had the battery tested and charged, everything is fine with it. Is it worth ordering a new solenoid? Is the ground bad? any suggestions? I can't figure it out.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 PM
3twinridges
Posting Guru
3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.
Are you 6v positive ground and if so what size cables are you using?

JB

Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Does your old solenoid/relay have a button on the bottom of it? If so, push that up, that manually closes the contacts.

Is your starter button a 1-terminal or 2-terminal type? There was a change in late '51 to the 2-button type, which sends power to the solenoid. The older style (1-terminal) grounded to the dash, and if there is a bad connection there to the dash, it won't work right.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 PM
F151
Junior User
Originally Posted by 3twinridges View Post
Are you 6v positive ground and if so what size cables are you using?

JB
Yes, it is 6v positive ground. I'm using 4 gauge I believe.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM
F151
Junior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Does your old solenoid/relay have a button on the bottom of it? If so, push that up, that manually closes the contacts.

Is your starter button a 1-terminal or 2-terminal type? There was a change in late '51 to the 2-button type, which sends power to the solenoid. The older style (1-terminal) grounded to the dash, and if there is a bad connection there to the dash, it won't work right.
It's a one terminal type. I cleaned the connections but I may have missed some. I'll double check.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by F151 View Post
Yes, it is 6v positive ground. I'm using 4 gauge I believe.
There you go. You gotta use 0 gauge or 00 gauge for 6 volt. And make sure your contact points are clean and rust and paint free as well as your ground connections.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
3twinridges
Posting Guru
3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.3twinridges has a very good reputation on FTE.
If I had the same problem as you, I first would put heavier cables on it, find either a correct Nos or used solenoid, clean all connections, and use bulb grease on them to keep them clean. Then crank it while watching the solenoid connections. If they turn red hot you don't have them tight enough. If you still have problems move to the starter for continued troubleshooting.

Like Ross said, if you are using the earlier style push start run a piece of sandpaper in the hole to expose bare metal on the edge, add a little bulb grease, and reinstall. Do all of that with the battery disconnected as you can actually trigger the starter doing that and if the truck is in gear it will lurch forward, ask me how I know.

JB

Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
postin' fool
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Smaller cables wouldn't prevent it from cranking completely.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 AM
big job
Posting Guru
big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.big job has a great reputation on FTE.
6vt pos gr. 1948 to 50 I presume. It is most important that the solonoid and the starter
button on dash has a good ground. Next the cab must have a good ground to engine.
Just went through that we forgot to hook up the cab ground that causes all kinds of
funky things as they will seek a ground through speedo. cables ebrakes etc. In time
solonoid internal copper washer gets "spark corroded" dirty. If all thats good I would
check starting amps there are ampmeters that are held on the starter cable for that
they are cheap nice to have in your box. You rock the truck and nothing. Two things
the good ;- something wrong with the starter the bad; ring gear came off. Just been there
with that. Went to store and thats all she wrote click click got towed. Took jammed
starter out yep ring gear against block. Luckey we banged it back and migged 4
equal dots on gear flywheel. Thats a design flaw the flywheel shoulder should be toward
the block and not toward the clutch. How in hell did that happen? I had no noise
engine at idle shut it off and then a tow?? no warning at all.....

Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 AM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by abe View Post
There you go. You gotta use 0 gauge or 00 gauge for 6 volt. And make sure your contact points are clean and rust and paint free as well as your ground connections.
What Abe said !!!!

Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of49f3dls has much to be proud of
My F3 required better swear words! ��

Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by F151 View Post
I had my starter rebuilt, installed new cables, and a new starter solenoid/relay. The solenoid/relay I have since returned to autozone because it didn't work. I installed the old solenoid and there was movement but not enough to turn the starter. I've tried touching the starter cable to the other post on the solenoid/relay and there was spark and i some turning in the starter but still no dice. I rocked the truck back and forth in 3rd gear and that didn't work as well. I had the battery tested and charged, everything is fine with it. Is it worth ordering a new solenoid? Is the ground bad? any suggestions? I can't figure it out.

Knowing what year, model and engine would help. Pictures are also essential otherwise we will be guessing.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 AM
dennisb56
Posting Guru
dennisb56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dennisb56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tractor Supply usually has heavy gauge cables for 6 volts systems.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
I have some questions,

1) Was your truck starting before you updated the starting system?
2) Is the battery cable grounded directly to the engine?
If not:
2a) Is the engine grounded to the chassis with a cable equal to the battery cables?
If so:
2b) Is the engine grounded to the chassis with a heavy wire, not necessarily as heavy as the battery cable?
3) Is the cab grounded to the chassis/engine with a heavy wire, not necessarily as heavy as the battery cable? (Big Job hit on this)
4) Have you tried directly grounding the "start" post on the solenoid to the engine/chassis/battery?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM
F151
Junior User
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
Knowing what year, model and engine would help. Pictures are also essential otherwise we will be guessing.
I will post some pictures later this afternoon when I can take some. The truck is 1951 F1, V8, 239ci, positive ground, 6v system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck wont start...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.