Truck wont start... - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truck wont start...

Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
F151
Junior User
F151 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by big job View Post
6vt pos gr. 1948 to 50 I presume. It is most important that the solonoid and the starter
button on dash has a good ground. Next the cab must have a good ground to engine.
Just went through that we forgot to hook up the cab ground that causes all kinds of
funky things as they will seek a ground through speedo. cables ebrakes etc. In time
solonoid internal copper washer gets "spark corroded" dirty. If all thats good I would
check starting amps there are ampmeters that are held on the starter cable for that
they are cheap nice to have in your box. You rock the truck and nothing. Two things
the good ;- something wrong with the starter the bad; ring gear came off. Just been there
with that. Went to store and thats all she wrote click click got towed. Took jammed
starter out yep ring gear against block. Luckey we banged it back and migged 4
equal dots on gear flywheel. Thats a design flaw the flywheel shoulder should be toward
the block and not toward the clutch. How in hell did that happen? I had no noise
engine at idle shut it off and then a tow?? no warning at all.....
I will check the ground on the starter button but where is the ground for the cab? I'm going to order the solenoid from midfifty.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM
F151
Junior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker View Post
I have some questions,

1) Was your truck starting before you updated the starting system?
2) Is the battery cable grounded directly to the engine?
If not:
2a) Is the engine grounded to the chassis with a cable equal to the battery cables?
If so:
2b) Is the engine grounded to the chassis with a heavy wire, not necessarily as heavy as the battery cable?
3) Is the cab grounded to the chassis/engine with a heavy wire, not necessarily as heavy as the battery cable? (Big Job hit on this)
4) Have you tried directly grounding the "start" post on the solenoid to the engine/chassis/battery?
The truck was having the same problem before I updated the starting system. The battery is ground to the engine with the same size cables as the battery. I'm not sure where to look for the cab ground? I didn't know there was one. Can you tell me where it's located? I havent tried grounding the start post on the solenoid either.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by F151 View Post
The truck was having the same problem before I updated the starting system. The battery is ground to the engine with the same size cables as the battery. I'm not sure where to look for the cab ground? I didn't know there was one. Can you tell me where it's located? I havent tried grounding the start post on the solenoid either.
The cab can pick up ground anywhere metal meets metal. Like Big Job said, it can even pick it up through the speedometer cable. But there should be a wire somewhere to get a solid ground. I honestly don't know where it is on a '51. If it has one at all. You can add your own, just to be sure. I would use a 10 gauge wire, or bigger, and attach it to the cab - clean the contact point - and the ground side of the battery.

Actually, if the cab isn't well grounded you would know it. None of the dash lights or the gauges would be working.

Grounding the start post on the solenoid will eliminate everything between it and the starter button. If there is a problem anywhere in the "start" circuit, this will bypass it and the truck should turn over.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:00 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Before you ground the solenoid make sure your truck isnít in gear.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 PM
52 4x4
Senior User
52 4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe the "cab ground" on the 40's and early 50's Fords is taken care of by the ground wire in the wiring harness between the generator and the regulator base. After nearly 60 years of working on them, I never understood that until Ross pointed it out to me. That's the reason that ground wire is much heavier than needed if it only had to serve as the "return" for the field current. - Bob

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 PM
F151
Junior User
Just wanted to give an update to wrap up this thread. I finally got the truck to start. it turned out the battery was bad. I had the battery tested at autozone and O'reillys and both said it was fine multiple times. Took it in again last night to get load tested and the guy said it was bad. Got my new one in and BOOM started perfectly! Thanks for all the tips everyone. I learned a lot on this project/fix.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by F151 View Post
Just wanted to give an update to wrap up this thread. I finally got the truck to start. it turned out the battery was bad. I had the battery tested at autozone and O'reillys and both said it was fine multiple times. Took it in again last night to get load tested and the guy said it was bad. Got my new one in and BOOM started perfectly! Thanks for all the tips everyone. I learned a lot on this project/fix.
Murphy's Law
Glad the mystery is resolved!