Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 5.0 loss of coolant

Old 01-11-2018, 03:51 PM
jcough
New User
jcough is starting off with a positive reputation.
2013 F-150 5.0 loss of coolant

I have a 2013 5.0 with 143,000 miles (original owner), zero problems, original plugs, oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles. Took a trip to Florida last week, towing the Corvette on a u-Haul trailer, cruised at 70-80 mph the whole way, no issues, got 13.0 for the first two days. Last day the mileage dropped to 11.0, this seemed to correspond with the outside temperature going from the teens up north to 45 once I got to Jacksonville. The engine temperature never went over the usual position on the gauge when driving, no overheat signs or symptoms.
The day after I got here I unloaded the trailer and popped the hood on the truck to check the oil level, I noticed the coolant recovery tank was almost empty, there was a puddle under the truck but I couldn't tell if was from mine or not, not obvious leakage under the hood. I ran it down the street 2 blocks to a local garage and they pressure tested the system with no loss of pressure or noticeable leaks, topped it off with water and I drove around for 20 miles and everything was fine.
The next day we did some sight seeing, driving around 75 miles, checked under the hood; empty recovery tank again! All the time there isn't any signs of coolant loss under the hood or overheating.
Taking it to the local dealer tomorrow to see if they can find anything wrong.

Anyone had this problem before on a 5.0 ??
Thanks

Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM
fastback89
Senior User
fastback89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Water pump would be my guess

Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 AM
WXboy
Posting Guru
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Water pump or the O-rings that seal the hoses to the plastic junctions. Those are notorious for failing and they only seem to leak overnight while the truck is sitting.

Oh, and change your plugs. It's a $30 job that takes 15 minutes.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM
jcough
New User
Mystery Leak Found

Found the leak after the truck passed two different pressure tests, it was coming from the junction where the upper radiator hose connect to the upper bypass joint.
Seemed to be leaking mostly on cool down after the truck was turned off, than running under pressure. Had to order the part from Rock Auto which had the Motorcraft parts in stock.
Must be an wide spread issue, the local Ford dealer in Panama City, Florida shows the part on backorder until next month.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM
WXboy
Posting Guru
Yep...that's it. Except, you don't need the hose and all. You just need the $3.00 O-ring that dealerships usually stock.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM
jcough
New User
Probably, but with 143,000 miles on the truck I figured it was a good idea to replace the hoses while we were at it and keep the old for spares. I tow a lot and having a breakdown while pulling a trailer is a really bad day when out of state.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 PM
BBD
Freshman User
BBD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timely thread. I just bought a 2011 with 5.0, and I'm having exactly the same issue. My heart sank a little when I noticed the empty reservoir, but then I sighed when I didn't notice any on the oil dipstick.

Seems like a very common problem with these engines. Also right under the tank itself too. I can clearly see the drip from my Y connector when parked, but no issues when driving.

Can someone please post the part number for the O-ring, or complete kit?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 AM
WXboy
Posting Guru
Coolant leaks are extremely common. Mine, my cousin's, and now a buddy's 5.0s have all sprang coolant leaks in the last 30 days. The cold weather kills those O-rings. Thankfully it's a cheap and simple job to do. Although, my buddy says his is leaking near the coolant tank and he can't figure it out.

Most Ford dealers stock the O-ring. Just call them up and ask.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM
jcough
New User
Update on my original thread.
I thought I had the leaks all fixed, but left Florida last Thursday towing the Vette back to the cold North and had another (new leak) develop. It appears to be coming from the right side of the engine but haven't found the source. Presently it is a slow leak and was able to complete the trip back to NH with adding some each morning before I headed back out.
Any idea's what could be leaking on the right (passenger side) of the engine (5.0).
Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 PM
mueckster
aka Redneck Wrencher
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
I ordered these to have on hand yesterday. https://www.ebay.com/itm/122940941086