Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the consensus on the 6.0s?

Old 01-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Saenzm
New User
Saenzm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whats the consensus on the 6.0s?

I am in the market for an X and I was focusing my search on the 7.3 because I heard they were the best. I am new to Diesels so I am learning as I go here.

I heard the 6.0s were troublesome. IS that the case. I also heard there are some mods you can do that will make that a great engine. Can someone please give me some perspective here.

Is there a "Golden" year to look for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I will be using the X to haul a young family of 4 and three dogs and towing a camper through the mountains.
Upgrading from a 2000 Suburban 4x4. Love this truck, but I think I will be better off with an X for towing through the mountains.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 01-11-2018, 03:56 PM
fastang50
Senior User
fastang50 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Consensus? This is the internet man!

The 6.0 suffered from two main problems: Ford's choice of coolant and an engine design that only has four torque-to-yield bolts per cylinder.

The coolant of choice drops out silicates that plug passages in the oil cooler, thus restricting coolant to the EGR cooler, which then pops. The 4 TTY bolts don't matter until the former happens or someone plugs in a tuner and cranks it to the moon.

Beside those two main issues, the FICM is a weak point, a few possible root causes there. And general diesel maintenance expense (expensive oil/filters and parts to maintain that a gasser doesn't have).

I have a 6.0, it's way better than most make it out to be but it's not been reliable in comparison to the 5.4 I had in my F250.

Buy a V10.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Don Naslund
Elder User
Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.
The 2005 is the best year for the 6.0. I have one and wouldn't trade it. Go on youtube and watch a few 6.0 videos by diesel tech Ron. He explains the 6.0 nicely. My ex is dependable but I did a few preemptive upgrades just to feel more secure.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
hwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to allhwybee22 is a name known to all
Do you research on the 6.0, if you pick a 6.0 that has been neglected and/or abused.. then you can count on it being a money pit.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM
mecdac
If it flies, it dies
mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation

You started this thread questioning a 290,000 mile 7.3 and now you are pondering a 6.0? What is the impetus behind that move?

Price?

Availability?

Features?

You may be better served reading in the 6.0 sub-forum.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Saenzm
New User
Originally Posted by fastang50 View Post
Consensus? This is the internet man!
Touche!

Good gouge here. I appreciate the insight. I will be pulling in the mountains; therefore, leading me to 7.3, but I would save a pretty penny with the V10. I was concerned with the gas milage while towing (8MPG)? Still investigating.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Saenzm
New User
Originally Posted by mecdac View Post

You started this thread questioning a 290,000 mile 7.3 and now you are pondering a 6.0? What is the impetus behind that move?

Price?

Availability?

Features?

You may be better served reading in the 6.0 sub-forum.
More 6.0s available in my search. Talked to guy and he was a 6.0 guy as long as you "bullet Proof" them. Not sure how to so that. Just wanting more info on all options. A bit of a learning curve.

Also, tons of cheap V10s out there. Looking at that possibility, but will likely stay with the 7.3.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM
loganj01
Senior User
loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My 7.3 F-350 got 10.5 mpg towing my 11k camper on a 1200 mile trip last spring. I haven't towed it with my V-10 Excursion yet but I've talked to some folks who are pulling similar rigs with similar Excursions and they're getting around 8 mpg. Lets put that trip in perspective. 1200 miles at 10.5 mpg needs 114.3 gal of diesel at $2.80 per gallon (today's price here) for a total fuel cost of $320.00. The V-10 would require 150 gallons of gas at $2.35 per gallon for a trip fuel cost of $352.50.
The V-10 doesn't need frequent fuel filter changes at $20 a pop. The 7.3 needs 4 gallons of oil at ~$18 per gal and a $15 filter. The V-10 needs 7 quarts at ~$4 per quart and a $7 filter. The V-10 will crank right up when it's 4 outside...so with the 7.3 when all is right but the V-10 doesn't depend on glow plugs and a somewhat overworked relay in cold weather. You won't ever be in the middle of nowhere and find that the only little store around doesn't sell diesel. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of course. If you're towing all the time, a diesel makes a lot of sense. If, like me, you're mostly hauling kids around and towing heavy 3-4 times a year, maybe the V-10 makes sense. I loved my 7.3 truck but a gas SUV fits the need better so that's what I ended up with.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Saenzm View Post
Touche!

Good gouge here. I appreciate the insight. I will be pulling in the mountains; therefore, leading me to 7.3, but I would save a pretty penny with the V10. I was concerned with the gas milage while towing (8MPG)? Still investigating.

I get 8 to 9.5 MPG towing my 11,300lb TT with my V-10 EX, but I'm in the East and not the Rockies, bigger hills and thinner air may keep it around that 8 MPG mark out where you are. Don't let the 8 MPG scare you too much, there are plenty of diesels out there towing loads equal to mine that don't get a whole lot better mileage, some do much better but not all. How large and heavy is your TT?

Originally Posted by Saenzm View Post
More 6.0s available in my search. Talked to guy and he was a 6.0 guy as long as you "bullet Proof" them. Not sure how to so that. Just wanting more info on all options. A bit of a learning curve.

Also, tons of cheap V10s out there. Looking at that possibility, but will likely stay with the 7.3.

My V-10 tow rig has had a little bit of work to make it tow as good as it does, mainly deeper gears to let the V-10 rev up to where it's power lives. Factor the cheap (but solid) V-10 price and the cost to regear in comparison to the local PSDs. These 6.8s can get the job done, not as well as a good diesel but they cost should be less if that is a concern at all.

Originally Posted by loganj01 View Post
My 7.3 F-350 got 10.5 mpg towing my 11k camper on a 1200 mile trip last spring. I haven't towed it with my V-10 Excursion yet but I've talked to some folks who are pulling similar rigs with similar Excursions and they're getting around 8 mpg. Lets put that trip in perspective. 1200 miles at 10.5 mpg needs 114.3 gal of diesel at $2.80 per gallon (today's price here) for a total fuel cost of $320.00. The V-10 would require 150 gallons of gas at $2.35 per gallon for a trip fuel cost of $352.50.
The V-10 doesn't need frequent fuel filter changes at $20 a pop. The 7.3 needs 4 gallons of oil at ~$18 per gal and a $15 filter. The V-10 needs 7 quarts at ~$4 per quart and a $7 filter. The V-10 will crank right up when it's 4 outside...so with the 7.3 when all is right but the V-10 doesn't depend on glow plugs and a somewhat overworked relay in cold weather. You won't ever be in the middle of nowhere and find that the only little store around doesn't sell diesel. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of course. If you're towing all the time, a diesel makes a lot of sense. If, like me, you're mostly hauling kids around and towing heavy 3-4 times a year, maybe the V-10 makes sense. I loved my 7.3 truck but a gas SUV fits the need better so that's what I ended up with.

Very good comparison, pretty much the logic I used when shopping for mine plus the need to learn all about a new engine type (I've had a VW diesel before and have been messing around with Fire Dept Detroits for 30 years, but the PSD are different beasts) where I was pretty comfortable with wrenching on gassers. I've done a few thing to my EX to make it a better tow rig (which is all it does these days) but really not a lot of money spent and I'm very happy with how it handles our large and heavy TT. What trailer do you have? Our is a '14 Jayco Eagle 338RETS.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 PM
seijirou
Posting Guru
seijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to beholdseijirou is a splendid one to behold
The v10 is likely the most practical choice in all situations. The diesels are for the smiles per gallon, if you just gotta have one.

I absolutely love the 6.0 platform personally but they require constant awareness and no putting things off when they ask for any attention or they will bite you.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Misky6.0
Post Fiend
Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
I love my 6L Excursion. You need to have an OBD2 gauge, so you can monitor vital sensors to determine IF you have a clogged oil cooler, bad alternator, bad battery (s), bad FICM, stuck turbo vanes, etc. BEFORE you buy!!

With the awesome info on FTE you can do most of the diagnostics yourself. The fuel pressure requires you to install your own sensor and gauge. Low fuel pressure can kill injectors (as can running out of fuel!).

I splurged for the BPD oil and egr coolers when my oil to coolant temp reached 15 degrees. I just towed our explorer 2200 miles from FL to CO and the 6L was awesome in the mountains.

I had a '97 Tahoe, replaced cat twice, head gaskets twice, front suspension, rear diff, transmission, and a/c and heater core.
My 6L has been FAR CHEAPER and more comfortable, powerful, and enjoyable.

Don't be in a hurry and realize the 6L becomes your new hobby.... and FTE helps you spend money to upgrade things....

Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 PM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by loganj01 View Post
The 7.3 needs 4 gallons of oil at ~$18 per gal and a $15 filter.
I need to be selling you oil and filters if you still have a 7.3L!!

I don't pay anywhere near that for my oil and filters...

I get my 15W-40 oil for $8.50 a gallon, and I pay less than $10 per Motorcraft oil filter. That makes it as economical as a V-10 on oil changes at my house. I get my fuel filters for a whole lot less than $20 as well. I don't have any connections to get them at those prices, either.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 AM
loganj01
Senior User
loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.loganj01 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pulled those prices from AutoZone and WalMart. I often found them for less as well but the majority of people will simply go to a chain parts store to buy these items. Therefore, on average, it's a valid comparison. If someone wants to post detailed maintenance records on both engines, I'm good with that. Until then, my position is that the diesel will cost more to operate than a gas burner.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 AM
01__Excursion
Senior User
01__Excursion has a great reputation on FTE.01__Excursion has a great reputation on FTE.01__Excursion has a great reputation on FTE.01__Excursion has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
I need to be selling you oil and filters if you still have a 7.3L!!

I don't pay anywhere near that for my oil and filters...

I get my 15W-40 oil for $8.50 a gallon, and I pay less than $10 per Motorcraft oil filter. That makes it as economical as a V-10 on oil changes at my house. I get my fuel filters for a whole lot less than $20 as well. I don't have any connections to get them at those prices, either.
I've got so much waste oil laying around now, I usually take the engine oil to the rural recycling dump, which is free. But after the transmission service I just performed, I'm left with 10 quarts that the recycling place DOES NOT take. I'm looking at a waste oil furnace for the garage now..!!
Love the vehicle, love the towing ability, but 2 years later and knowing of the important critical recurring maintenance, I'm still asking myself what the hell have I bought..!!!!
It's still worth it though, and it's not a daily driver.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 AM
mecdac
If it flies, it dies
mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Exclamation

The OP asks for opinions on the 6.0 and the guys with V-10's come in to defend (validate their purchase).

Then the most far-flung examples, scenarios and theories are presented as facts (as seen in other threads).

• "Gas is only $1.59 in my state and diesel is $3.48."
  • "Filters on a diesel only last 5 weeks."
  • "My 6.0 can tow my 12,000 lb TH up the Eisenhower in 4th gear and get 23 MPG."
  • "The 'Unlimited Limited' package has the 3 valve, V-10 my brother-in-law used to be a mechanic and he told me so."
  • "My neighbors 7.3 has 986,xxx on the clock and he has never changed the injectors."

And it devolves into a Gas v Diesel thread.

IIRC, only 10% of Excursions produced were diesels. The new vehicle marketplace has already determined which was more popular...by demand and production. The used vehicle marketplace determines that diesels are more in demand due to limited supply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the consensus on the 6.0s?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.