6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

key fob remote not unlocking, help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key fob remote not unlocking, help

alright brain trust crew, I need your help. my key fob remotes decided to quit working today, both of them simultaneously. which I thought was weird but I went ahead and put new batteries in both of them and they still don't work. I did a little research and figured out how to do the on off key thing 8 times to reprogram the key. I was able to get the truck to enter the programming mode, but when pressing the lock button on the fobs while in programming mode nothing happened with either key. my truck is a 2011 6.7 liter lariat. any suggestions welcomed. we are on a seven week road trip. Currently at week 4 pulling the fifth wheel from Georgia to Southern California and up the coast. we are currently in Port Angeles Washington.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Is there a fuse for the keyless entry? Sounds like it could be something like that since it is both key fabs and it happened so suddenly. Just a guess.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you still start the truck with the keys?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Can you still start the truck with the keys?
I can use the key to start the truck, the keypad on the door still works, its just the buttons on the fob remote that doesnt work.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by gwcon
Is there a fuse for the keyless entry? Sounds like it could be something like that since it is both key fabs and it happened so suddenly. Just a guess.
Ill take a look on the fuses...not the fuse.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:53 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Brandon, I think it is odd that both quit. When you replaced the batteries, was there a good connection with the contact and battery. Doesn't explain both of them I know. Doing a search I found that a couple have done this and all it took was cleaning the contact with a little bit of alcohol. Still, doesn't explain both. Does everything else on the dash and climate system work? We have all noticed that my remotes are getting harder and harder to operate, but the batteries were not the problem in mine either. Lots of posts about the remotes getting weaker, but you seem to be in a little different light. Will try to keep searching. I hope the truck and camper have served you well on this trip!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Monty, the battery connections looked great, they still had plenty of grease, no corrosion or dirt inside. I cleaned them with alcohol and reapplyed new dielectric grease. Still no response. Its not like the remote got weak gradually, but completely quit all of sudden. It worked at our lunch stop yesterday then when we setup camp later that afternoon, no response from the key fob buttons. A spare key that Is rarely used does nothinh. Everything else on the truck is working great. My guess is a module or antenna for just the fob has quit. Otherwise the truck has been awesome.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Has there been any reason for anyone to access the area behind or above the glove box? The remote start module and TPMS module and antenna are in that area.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Just strokin...no one has been behind the glove box. Ill take look and see if maybe a harness fell loose.

You will never guess what just happened, I drove from sea level upto about 6500ft in 20 miles of smooth and curvy asphalt road and the remote worked! Drove 10 miles down and back up a washed boarded gravel road at same elevation, still worked. Drive back down to sea level to the campground and the remote doesnt work. Either my remote only works at high elevtions, likes curvy roads, or my campground has something interferring with the remote like wifi or radio?

Ill drive into town tomorrow and see if itworks at sea level away from campground.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Averill7
...Ill drive into town tomorrow and see if itworks at sea level away from campground.
How are things going today, Averill7? You can always swing by a local Ford Dealership to have them look over your truck. Enter your current ZIP code here to find some options: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com What's the current mileage on your rig?

Crystal

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Averill7
Senior User
[QUOTE=FordService;15465665]How are things going today, Averill7? You can always swing by a local Ford Dealership to have them look over your truck. Enter your current ZIP code here to find some options: Ford Dealers | Locate a Ford Dealer Near You | Ford.com What's the current mileage on your rig?

Thanks Crystal...my 11' has 76k miles on it. So no warranty left on this part. Ill probably just wait until I get home. My local dealership is really good and I trust them.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
While at the campground and you open the passenger door, standing right next to the truck, will the remote work, any function, lock, unlock, start, etc?..

Old 06-29-2015, 10:50 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Averill7
...Thanks Crystal...my 11' has 76k miles on it. So no warranty left on this part. Ill probably just wait until I get home. My local dealership is really good and I trust them.
Sounds good, Averill7. If you need me to step in and assist, I'll be here.

Crystal

Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It sounds like you're saying that the fobs worked until you pulled into the campground. Has all of your testing been done at the campground? I've been in high RF environments that effectively jammed the receiver on alarm and keyless entry systems. If all of your testing/failures have been at the same location, first, I'd change locations, maybe drive down the road a ways. If that isn't it, since both fobs quit at the same time, I think you're looking at a receiver problem. It could have lost power or just plain failed. I think you're spinning your wheels, though, looking at the fobs.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Agreed, the remotes are now working inthe campground sometimes and out of the campground sometimes. Due to remotes working intermittently I agree that it is the receiver in the truck. Ill give it a while longer then take it in to my locsl dealership when I get home.

Quick Reply: key fob remote not unlocking, help