This may be a first. LOL - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

This may be a first. LOL

Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Junior User

catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This may be a first. LOL

I am not sure of the fuel tank capacity or exactly where it sits (how high off of the floor pan) I also have a fair amount of old nasty smelling gas in there. I have been running the thing every week to keep things happy. It does a few things, I move the truck and it keeps everything unstuck and I use up the gas slowly.

But I wondered how much gas I have in there? Who better to ask then you guys.
So as you can see my fuel gage is a broom handle about 4.5' long and the truck is at about a 2 deg angle and it showed aprox. 4-5" of fuel on the stick.
It was in the tank about 2'.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Posting Guru

tacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud of
You have a 19 gallon tank with about 2 gallons in there. You can google a conversion calculator of course.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Post Fiend

GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
Time to go out and break the bank to buy 15 gallons of fresh fuel. The exhaust smell alone will make your purchase worthwhile.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Post Fiend

willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Do you know what you get when you ad 10 gallons of fresh gas to 5 gallons of rotten gas? You get 15 gallons of rotten gas.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Posting Guru

tacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud of
Even GB screws up once in a while. Maybe he is assuming draining the tank first?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Post Fiend

GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.GB SISSON has a spectacular reputation.
I have done this a few times. I realize the rotten gas smell is only partially diminished, but after few tankfuls it is gone. Call me cheap, it won't hurt my feelings.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Post Fiend

willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.willowbilly3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Haha, I'm cheap too. A couple years ago I bought a 74 Quadravan that had been stored about 5 years. It barely ran good enough to get on the trailer (probably why I got it cheap at the auction> I drained about 15 gallons of yellow stanky gas out. I thought I could dilute it and run it through the fordson and the old skid steer. Well, that didn't go so well. Even with only 30% or so rotten gas, neither one had enough power to do any work. Where I finally dumped the rest on the ground, I had to dig through with the backhoe a couple years later and dug up that rotten stank.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Junior User

catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If all I have is two gallons then I will have it empty in a month or so. I idle it for an hour or so every week and also pull out the hand throttle for some higher revs. Maybe 1500.
Anyhow I want the tank empty so I can remove it and check it does not have rust that is really bad. Based on the rest of the truck it should have none, but I want to be certain.
It is behind or under the seat, right?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Posting Guru

Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Post Fiend

About 8 years ago I drained the ancient gas from my 37 ford 1 1/2 ton that had been in a barn for 26 years. I stored the 3 or four gallons in a 5 gallon can for couple of weeks and had read during that time an article in Vintage Truck about how we need to refresh our gas each year as old gas loses it's volatility and won't even start an engine after a few years. With this reccomendation, I dumped the contents of the can on a wet brush pile hoping it would even light after 26 years. With great confidence, and none of the usual precautions I walked up to the doused pile with a stick match and touched it off. WHOOSH! My stepson was working for me at the time and called his mom at the medical center and said "we're bringing Gary in again!". Talk about a facial peel. I guess the old gas retains some flammability, huh?
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Ever notice in the old cartoons, they make a pile of gunpowder, and then a long, long trail away from it as a kind of "fuse" that fizzles along when lit?

Yeah, no, it doesn't work that way.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Junior User

Thats a good one. I know of a story from Europe about a very old sealed can of gas from like the war. The motorcycle shop that had/has it uses it to demonstrate, now and then, that old "real" gas lasts an works. My friend has seen a cup full fire up a bike that is totally drained of any fuel. Runs just fine.
Why else does my truck fire right up all the time. Still I am a little concerned about water in the tank. I am thinking of removing it and doing a clean and coat. That said I have a found this post here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-gas-tank.html
In it Gary wrote "I jacked up the rear of my '39 Farmall A and strapped the tank to a rear wheel with 3 click straps from costco. Then I placed 100 pieces of 3/4 minus crushed rock in the filler along with about 5 gallons of water. Ran it at idle for half a day and counted the rocks as I dumped them out. THEN followed the directions with the clean and prep acids etc. That tank was used in my '59 f350 which runs diesel fuel, but it has been stellar and it was really crusty before. I no longer have a tractor so next time I will try something different."
Wouldn't a 4x4 in low low gear work as well?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Posting Legend

Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Ever notice in the old cartoons, they make a pile of gunpowder, and then a long, long trail away from it as a kind of "fuse" that fizzles along when lit?

Yeah, no, it doesn't work that way.
really?? are you referring to the trail part or the catastrophic large firey ball of explosion part typical seen in the tv/movies?? because ive done trail to a pile thing and does work as a delayed fuse... but no big catastrophic explosion.. i was curious on the movie/tv vs reality.. and it really depends on the powder used what kind of reaction you get.. stuff i used initially was a slow burn smokeless powder i use in my reloading rounds... now the difference i got compared to the cartoons was when it hit the "pile" it didnt "explode" like it does in the movies... instead it just turned into a larger flare of flaming powder than when it was following the trail.. then i did it again with the little can i have of actual blackpower it ran faster but still no big explosive kaboom.. just a larger more "reactive" flare when it hit the pile.. now the wind can scatter the powder away causing a break in the train so to speak.. and i was doing it on a more calm-no wind day..
Old 01-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Junior User

@ Tacomacream, I'm wondering what manual, you posted that page from? I have found the manual here: http://www.classicautopartsonlinecat...kCode=fv815flx
is it any good. I managed to find a manual about transmissions and clutches and one about the fuel systems on fleabay that I bought.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Posting Guru

This would be a good one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-FORD-T...tUG0SV&vxp=mtr

Also answered your pm.