This may be a first. LOL - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

This may be a first. LOL

Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 PM
catimann
Senior User
catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tacomacream View Post
You have a 19 gallon tank with about 2 gallons in there. You can google a conversion calculator of course.
You sir know your trucks. After some time where I may have run it for another half hour. I drained it today.

I'll pour some more fresh gas in there and then drain it and we will see how she runs on fresh stuff.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM
tacomacream
Posting Guru
tacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud of
^ Thank you. Well, I have tinkered around with the fuel tank on my pickup, with the sending unit etc. and I am familiar with the broomstick fuel gauge.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Joe777
Elder User
Joe777 has a good reputation on FTE.Joe777 has a good reputation on FTE.
In restoring my truck, I didn't get real fussy about cleaning out the fuel tank. It look real nice on the outside so I figured the inside shouldn't be that bad. We just put some diesel in, sloshed it around a bit, then dumped it out. Did this a few times till no crap came out and then re-installed the tank. Fast forward to when we had a few hours run time on the truck. It started to run rough and would stall completely on a long up-hill pull. I was certain it was either the carb or fuel pump so had both rebuilt. Same symptoms persisted - darn it! So we disconnect the fuel line at the tank and opened the valve. Nothing but an occasional drip. The crap I missed on the first cleaning came loose and plugged up the valve. So my advice would be to remove the tank, clean it thoroughly, and inspect the inside.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Joe777 View Post
In restoring my truck, I didn't get real fussy about cleaning out the fuel tank. It look real nice on the outside so I figured the inside shouldn't be that bad. We just put some diesel in, sloshed it around a bit, then dumped it out. Did this a few times till no crap came out and then re-installed the tank. Fast forward to when we had a few hours run time on the truck. It started to run rough and would stall completely on a long up-hill pull. I was certain it was either the carb or fuel pump so had both rebuilt. Same symptoms persisted - darn it! So we disconnect the fuel line at the tank and opened the valve. Nothing but an occasional drip. The crap I missed on the first cleaning came loose and plugged up the valve. So my advice would be to remove the tank, clean it thoroughly, and inspect the inside.
Ahh, the old let's make a best guess and throw parts at it diagnosing technique. A great way to get new parts but hardly ever the less expensive of options.lol.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Joe777
Elder User
Joe777 has a good reputation on FTE.Joe777 has a good reputation on FTE.
And to add injury to insult, my brother said he thought it was fuel starvation. I said he was nuts because I cleaned the fuel tank out.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 PM
catimann
Senior User
catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.catimann is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes I will take the hint. I am in the middle of a transmission leak. I replaced seals and the front one leaked so I replaced it again and it leaked again. The second time out I made damn sure everything was clean, smooth, right size etc. Still it leaked. I wondered and wondered and have come up with a new idea from reading about all flatheads. "Don't use synthetic oil in old engines someone wrote. IT will find leaks where there were none. Maybe it is my new, non original std oil I put in. Worth a try no?

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
tacomacream
Posting Guru
tacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud oftacomacream has much to be proud of
My 3 spd trans leaks where the countershafts ride in the transmission case. Could that be a problem with the 4 spd also? Here is how I deal with the problem: