July trip 20 day vacation am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Actually you might GAIN pin weight as with nothing in the garage there nothing to counterbalance the front pin.
Correct. That is why I was planning on only putting in a little fresh water for the drive (almost empty) until I was heading somewhere without hookups. I was looking at not carrying around 800 pounds of water up front. I'm guessing that each fresh tank is around 50 gallons and I have 2. I need to measure them.

Senix mentioned about running into "not to tasty water" so I changed my mind to just fill up before I leave and top off when good water is available.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:10 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Good idea. Looks like you are travelling some rather desolate area's, so having something in case you get stranded for awhile is a good idea.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:45 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good. We go from Ontario Canada to Arizona then across to California then up north to British Columbia and back all in 3 wks , in either Jan or Feb. 4 times so far and are planning on leaving Feb 2 to do it again.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
a rv gps is a good investment for cross country travel.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The route you are using out of Cody has some good pulls on it, just make sure you watch your EGT and coolant and oil temps and slow down and use lower gears if needed. I was out there last year and loved it, but those climbs made me realize I need to regear my 6.0 from 3.73 to 4.30's before my next trip west. My buddy was along with his with the 4.30's and he smoked me in the hills and got a lot better fuel mileage than I did with both out trailers grossing 15K.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by senix
a rv gps is a good investment for cross country travel.
I have been thinking about getting one. Currently I use my phone but that will not be much help in low / no service areas. Need to read some recent reviews.

Originally Posted by jetjockey99
The route you are using out of Cody has some good pulls on it, just make sure you watch your EGT and coolant and oil temps and slow down and use lower gears if needed. I was out there last year and loved it, but those climbs made me realize I need to regear my 6.0 from 3.73 to 4.30's before my next trip west. My buddy was along with his with the 4.30's and he smoked me in the hills and got a lot better fuel mileage than I did with both out trailers grossing 15K.
I have an EGT gauge and EOT thru torque pro no real coolant sensor on my truck. I just went from 4.88 to 4.10 and am really happy with it. (zf6 truck)

Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I can second on the "Water" alkaline and not good for drinking or for Coffee

travel Safe... No way I could do this with little ones...

keep a plan "B", "C","D","E".. and 2 more just for the little ones whatever that might be.

as for "NUTS".. that is your call.... for the trip "NO".. with a big group of young-ens .. "YES".

Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic

Glad I made my reservation for the campground on the lake for the family reunion. Planned on staying July 20th and 21st but had to also book the 19th so I could book it yesterday (6 months out). Hope everything gets sorted out quickly so everyone directly affected can get back to normal.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM
wyomingbs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the exact height of those tunnels by Cody, but every kind of rig goes through them. Sylvan pass just inside the east gate of Yellowstone is really no big deal. It is narrow and a little winding, but nothing out of the usual for mtn driving. There are worse in Wyoming.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,132 Likes on 644 Posts
Hate to add any more stops in your trip, but we are taking a 22 day trip in June thru nearly the same areas, and I see you are passing from Yellowstone and Rushmore. Devils Tower is right in that stretch as well if you are interested

Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM
defekticon
Senior User
I did a similar trip last summer. I did not take my trailer through Yellowstone or the Buffalo Bill dam tunnel. However there are many RV parks along the road up to Yellowstone and in Yellowstone (if you can get reservations...). I stayed for a week in Cody and did day trips out to the Tetons and Old Faithful. Go during the week and avoid the weekend in the park. Watch out for the tour buses full of Chinese. They are rude, and I wish I was stereotyping here, but it was every single person on the bus. We almost got knocked into the grand prismatic springs because of extremely rude people. I also took my motorcycle and had a blast riding through the park. We have four boys, but two of them had summer camps and didn't want to go so they stayed with grandparents.

Rushmore was excellent, we stayed in Wall, SD and saw Badlands, the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site and Rushmore. I wish I would have stayed in the black hills, it's significantly cooler during the day, just an hour further west.

Due to the size of our rig we never did find accommodations in a national park anywhere. By the end of the trip we were seriously considering a class C or a truck camper (VERY common out there).

We stayed in Glendale Utah, so we could hit three parks in reasonable driving distance. We did Zion, Bryce Canyon, and the North Rim. I was extremely happy with the North Rim! I haven't been to the south rim, but I can totally recommend the north, it seemed significantly less crowded.

We took 7 weeks to do 9000 miles. And we did the entire trip (except FL) without reservations to stay flexible. We had never intended to see Yellowstone when we left the house but it was too good to pass up. We were usually making reservations one week ahead of time. You don't have to go as far as us, so you're on the right track.

This was our general route. We also stayed in Moab and took in Arches (Overcrowded - disappointed. Lots of construction going on in the park).

It was the trip of a lifetime, our lives are richer for having gone. We're moving to FL this summer so we won't have time to head out on a western trip, but I'm already planning a 2019 excursion from May to August to hit the westcoast parks we missed last summer. I was able to do it because I was working during parts of the trip remotely so cellular connectivity also played a role in where we stayed.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:11 AM
vtfireftr
Junior User
I have a trip planned for the last three weeks of August. Already have reservations in Grand Teton N.P. and just outside Custer State Park in South Dakota. I love the Black Hills. Been there four times before.

I will be towing my toy hauler with the Victory in the back. Is it August yet?

I have a Garmin RV GPS. Great unit. Never trust cell phone service for GPS!

Attached Images