Total Labor-hours 99 E-250 entire front-end rebuild? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

Total Labor-hours 99 E-250 entire front-end rebuild?

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM
TallTexAustin
New User
TallTexAustin is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi I have a 1999 Ford E-250 van project Iím working on and it requires a complete front-end rebuild due to its miles, such as i-beam pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, stabilizer bar bushings, ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, steering links, pitman arm, etc. that is all oem parts replaced with new moog parts.

Does anyone on here have software or book for the estimate for total labor-hours to R & R entire OEM front end parts with new Moog parts?

Thank you.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM
richter roxs
Senior User
richter roxs is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can get a complete front end from quigley conversions from a new van for 300 bucks better brakes and a bolt on.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM
wirelessengineer
Senior User
wirelessengineer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by richter roxs View Post
You can get a complete front end from quigley conversions from a new van for 300 bucks better brakes and a bolt on.

And that answers his question about labor hours.... how?

Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 AM
TallTexAustin
New User
Not sure this is still correct info. OEM parts for sale not on web

Originally Posted by richter roxs View Post
I looked at their web pages and found nothing about buying OEM take off parts. I contacted them via their website and got no reply.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 AM
TallTexAustin
New User
Originally Posted by wirelessengineer View Post
And that answers his question about labor hours.... how?
Yes, what you point out is correct. Not an answer to my question.
After visit to one or more local shops that have actually done work on an E-250 and providing them a list of the Moog part #s, and looking up on their "book" software I was told 15 hours...seemed high as some parts must be R & R to service or repair others.
At any rate I am putting a budget together on my 99 E-250 "Moto Van" project.

As for parts after searching national parts retail stores websites and other online only websites, no vendor has beat Amazon prime, but for some vendors on amazon would not collect sales tax from me. I choose Prime as if any reason I order something wrong I can easily return it. $483.03 for all Moog parts, Free shipping, 8.25% Texas sales tax.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
jbwheels is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know the book hours. I did my own.

I recall it was most of 8-10 hours.

I did it all: I-beam pivots, radius arm pivots, sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, etc.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 AM
kennyfzj80
Senior User
kennyfzj80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TallTexAustin View Post
Hi I have a 1999 Ford E-250 van project Iím working on and it requires a complete front-end rebuild due to its miles, such as i-beam pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, stabilizer bar bushings, ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, steering links, pitman arm, etc. that is all oem parts replaced with new moog parts.

Does anyone on here have software or book for the estimate for total labor-hours to R & R entire OEM front end parts with new Moog parts?

Thank you.
The quote for my front end suspension lift was about 9 hours + 4-5 hours for ball joints. I skipped the ball joints because they did not have play. So the shops estimate for 15 hours does not seem unreasonable maybe a little high, but I'd pay extra to a reputable shop for peace of mind.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 AM
annaleigh
Posting Guru
annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.annaleigh has a good reputation on FTE.
New radius arm bushings, pivot bushings, coil springs, shocks, one tie rod end, and repacked the wheel bearings on my 88 E150 that doesn't have ball joints took 3 of us about 7 hours. We were using jack stands, a floor jack, and mostly all hand tools. I did all the research on how to and the two guys did most all the muscle work and they were not mechanics but very mechanically inclined.
If the book says 4 or 5 hours for ball joints, that may be if that was all one was doing. A shop would already have it up on a lift and the wheels off to do the other work. I can't see it taking more then another 2 to hrs to change out the ball joints especially if you have a well equipped shop.
No that doesn't answer the book hour question but does give some actual time frame.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 AM
TallTexAustin
New User
Originally Posted by jbwheels View Post
I don't know the book hours. I did my own.

I recall it was most of 8-10 hours.

I did it all: I-beam pivots, radius arm pivots, sway bar bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, etc.
Thanks. My job will be exactly same job. Reason I'm asking is my time is worth money and I have never done this before (learning curve) so if I can get a Ford pro to do it faster and not have my project spread out all over my garage or driveway it's better for me.
I believe an experienced shop with shop tools should be able to do it in less time than I was quoted, but the 15 hour computer "book" time was what I was given to work with. I look on youtube videos too and have seen some of this work performed on there and one fellow claims it easier quicker to remove steering knuckle/spindle from vehicle if you are replacing ball joints and caster/camber adjusting bushings (and do all parts at same time).