6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

You ford techs may be stumped! IPR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM
WildWop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Is the tach jumping around when this happens?
yes I posted videos of it, and everything else I’ve done. It’s like the engine falls then catches itself and picks up again all within a split second

Old 01-10-2018, 11:02 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
But you never lose sync is that right?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM
WildWop
Junior User
Originally Posted by seijirou
But you never lose sync is that right?
That is correct I never lose sync

Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WildWop
That is correct I never lose sync
This problem would make complete sense as dropping cam or crank signals but you'd be losing sync.

I'm really suspicious that there's an intermittent failure between the ficm and one or more injectors causing the injector to not get the command to fire. Or possibly the FICM itself.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM
WildWop
Junior User
This problem would make complete sense as dropping cam or crank signals but you'd be losing sync.

I'm really suspicious that there's an intermittent failure between the ficm and one or more injectors causing the injector to not get the command to fire. Or possibly the FICM itself.
I’ve shut each injector down individually and ran it for a few seconds at a time to see if anything changed, and nothing at all except a noticeable miss. As well as each injector buzzed perfectly all to the same audible tone, I’m extremely stumped

Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
I’ve shut each injector down individually and ran it for a few seconds at a time to see if anything changed, and nothing at all except a noticeable miss. As well as each injector buzzed perfectly all to the same audible tone, I’m extremely stumped
So with each injector disabled you create an additional dead miss, but you otherwise still get the exact same off again on again behavior from the engine when you give it some throttle?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Try this. Get a 5 gallon diesel can and fill it up. Pull out your lower fuel filter housing filter and take it out and put the cap back on without the filter in there. Disconnect the line from the lower housing that draws from the fuel tank and run a different line from there down into your 5 gallon diesel can. Fire it up and let it run for a couple minutes, then repeat your rev test.

Problematic fuel is where my head is at here and I think you need to get that filter out of the equation too for now.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
WildWop
Junior User
So with each injector disabled you create an additional dead miss, but you otherwise still get the exact same off again on again behavior from the engine when you give it some throttle?
Unfortunately yes, it just made things worse. I’m going to try crawl around today and wiggle what I can try change

Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 AM
WildWop
Junior User
Try this. Get a 5 gallon diesel can and fill it up. Pull out your lower fuel filter housing filter and take it out and put the cap back on without the filter in there. Disconnect the line from the lower housing that draws from the fuel tank and run a different line from there down into your 5 gallon diesel can. Fire it up and let it run for a couple minutes, then repeat your rev test.
I was thinking about doing that maybe seeing if had bad diesel or something, but even in the water trap I’m not getting anything at all. I was second guessing myself thinking maybe I put gasoline in or something . But nothing

Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Unfortunately yes, it just made things worse. I’m going to try crawl around today and wiggle what I can try change
It won't hurt but your per-injector disable test is pretty good really.

I was thinking about doing that maybe seeing if had bad diesel or something, but even in the water trap I’m not getting anything at all. I was second guessing myself thinking maybe I put gasoline in or something . But nothing
I hear you but this is so easy to do I think it's worthwhile.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Chase the cam sensor wire for changing. Starts at the fuel filter and trace it down. It goes into the block by the P/S pump. You maybe getting cam/crank sensor codes correct? The air filter assembly sits right above it. May have a rub through there too. The cam sensor on ring may be leaking oil too. It's most likely a injector due to poor duel delivery. You may have to go to Ford for a IDS scan.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Easy thing to check is the FICM relay if you suspect at all it may be dropping out momentarily

Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM
WildWop
Junior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Easy thing to check is the FICM relay if you suspect at all it may be dropping out momentarily
Where is the relay located??

Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM
WildWop
Junior User
What does the ecu calculate to come up with a load percentage??

Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
I actually don't know the algorithm used on the 6.0 and best I can do is feedback based on gasoline engines.

Load is either going to come from the MAF signal known as "MAF", manifold pressure aka boost known as "Speed Density", or RPM X TPS position known as "Alpha-N". Any of these MAF, Speed Density, and Alpha-N can be used to derive a load value or a blend of them can be used.

If you have a MAF sensor there's an excellent chance only MAF is used to derive load. Unplugging your MAF is worth a shot, the computer should default to a lookup table instead of using a live sensor value. It is possible a blend of MAF and Speed Density is being used but even then there would be value in checking the MAF sensor.
You can also look at the reported airflow PID of the MAF and see if it is also going nuts. It probably shows in grams per hour.

If you don't have MAF, and because this is a turbo engine, it's almost certainly only Speed Density that's used so you want to look at your MAP sensor but if you have problems here you should see that as the boost PID showing nonsense.

I got $20 that says it isn't using Alpha-N but if it were, your TPS tests should have had an impact.

Other sensors that can play havoc on fueling if they're giving garbage data are temperature sensors. Make sure your water, air, and oil temps aren't nonsense or erratic.

Quick Reply: You ford techs may be stumped! IPR?