1977 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed Restoration - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

1977 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed Restoration

Old 05-09-2018, 12:37 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
benhoopes is starting off with a positive reputation.

Excited to see the new wheels mounted up just to make rolling it around the shop easier.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Old bed was completely rusted through. Luckily I found this 1996 short bed online for $175. It is getting new bedsides anyways so I was happy to get the updated newer inner sheet metal.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
All of the LS haters out there can dry their tears on this Dyno Sheet. It would have been really hard and much more expensive to get nearly 700 lb feet of torque and over 700 horses out of a Coyote. For sure it wouldn't be nearly as reliable.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Finally getting the motor into position. Found that the alternator needs to be lifted into a higher position so that it doesn't interfere with the frame rail. But other than that it looks as though it will fit nicely.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Engine is Bolted in!

The engine, transmission and Transfer case are all now bolted in. Had to clearance a bit on the front bulk head cross member. It will now need some gussets and need to be boxed in. But it fits! One step closer to getting this thing on the road.

Alternator needs to be clearanced and cleaned up just a bit more before it is boxed in.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM
unilover6163
Senior User
unilover6163 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is your truck from the Utah area? I saw that on the license plate I believe.
What a seemingly decent relatively dry mostly rust free truck.
Up here in Eastern Canada we have a nasty rust belt. Between the salt brine poured on the winter roads, and the salt air all year long our vehicles don't stand a chance of surviving long term if they see year-round use.

You truck cab under floor looks impressive in its original condition as I see in your photo.
The truck box looks like it is most rust stained on the white paint but not a total rust-through situation.
The chassis looks impressive as well, with minor pitting but no rust through.

Seeing what you have to work with, I'm surprised, (myth'd) that you didn't invest in a 3rd party sand/media blasting service to fog over your panels and to thoroughly blast your chassis???
Once blasted & etched you would have opportunity to prep & smooth out the pitted areas of the frame if you wanted to have a like-factory-new appearance. If you plan to off-road then just blasting it completely clean and painting it would suffice but at least all of the existing rust and rust texture would have been removed.

Not bashing your work, but suggesting that this (blasting) process, rather than a quick POR application, would have shown off your work in a more favorable light, and, since you mentioned your son owning this truck in the future then I would think that prepping it this way would provide a vehicle that would stand the test of time more effectively rather than seeing 'breakout' creeping back once the truck is once again in service.

I too would love to see you take the diesel route and make this already stout factory heavy duty platform and give it the muscle, durability, longevity & power that would more suitably match this vehicle platform.

A (3/4 ton?) Crew Cab was a working man's truck, with heavy chassis, factory Dana differentials, NP205 transfer case, and now your choice of motor/tranny to match everything else. An early (1989-93 Dodge Ram Cummins 6BT) is an easy find. And you can get the adapter for the Ford C6 then continue to use your tranny/transfercase assembly.

I like the challenge you are taking on and what ever way you ultimately decide to go I am sure this preservation effort will at least ensure that your crewcab lives a second life and that's an important fact to remember rather than the possibility that the truck ends up in a field dying a slow death out in the elements.

Best of luck with your project.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 AM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Finally did some test fitting of the Fiberglass fenders. We measured and found that even after we drop it a few inches we will be able to easily clear 40" Tires. These 40's cannot help but put a smile on your face. LCm needed to be replaced on the motor by TurnKey and the axels are still a week out but things are starting to come together nicely.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:17 AM
benhoopes
Freshman User
You know you are getting to close when the battery goes in. Just need to get the radiator installed and some other plumbing.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM
CanadianBuzzard
Junior User
CanadianBuzzard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome work! I’m so stoked to see this truck come together. I ended up going the Cummins route with mine but I love those LS engines and it will be just an awesome combo. Especially with your flared fender look, the EXTREMELY heavy Cummins wouldn’t do that style justice in my opinion. Keep the updates coming, makes for plenty of ‘next project’ daydreaming for us following. Gonna be a head turner!

Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User

Large tires make me smile.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 PM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CanadianBuzzard View Post
Awesome work! I’m so stoked to see this truck come together. I ended up going the Cummins route with mine but I love those LS engines and it will be just an awesome combo. Especially with your flared fender look, the EXTREMELY heavy Cummins wouldn’t do that style justice in my opinion. Keep the updates coming, makes for plenty of ‘next project’ daydreaming for us following. Gonna be a head turner!
Thanks for the openmindedness. I just got word from Dynatrac that the axels are all built and in final inspection. It will be nice to finally get those mounted up. Should be shipped Friday (12th) and arrive some time next week

Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 PM
maddogjohnson
Senior User
maddogjohnson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like good progress has been made so far this year. What are your plans for the interior? Keeping it stock or updating with some sort of newer model leather seats?

I've put my time and money into the engine (+ associated parts like radiator) transmission, wheels, tires and lift on my truck. Making it look really nice paint, body and interior wise hasn't been much of an objective for me. I have put in sound deadener, new carpet, new door weatherstripping and bench seats from a 94 crew cab.

Always nice to see one of these progressing towards getting back on the road. Mine had not been driven/registered for about 20 years before I got it back on the road earlier this year.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 AM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by maddogjohnson View Post
Looks like good progress has been made so far this year. What are your plans for the interior? Keeping it stock or updating with some sort of newer model leather seats?

I've put my time and money into the engine (+ associated parts like radiator) transmission, wheels, tires and lift on my truck. Making it look really nice paint, body and interior wise hasn't been much of an objective for me. I have put in sound deadener, new carpet, new door weatherstripping and bench seats from a 94 crew cab.

Always nice to see one of these progressing towards getting back on the road. Mine had not been driven/registered for about 20 years before I got it back on the road earlier this year.
Funny you should ask about the interior. pictured below are the following (all in boxes):
- Bench Seat
- Carpet Kit
- Dash Pad
- Door Panels
- etc...

As well as a bunch of exterior parts; Headlights, tailgate, bumper, grill, etc...

Old 10-14-2018, 11:35 AM
niko20
Senior User
niko20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi,

Can you tell me what the wheels/tires are in the photos that are just the frame with the wheels?

I have 8 lug hubs too and want to get new stuff eventually. Are they 17's? No problem with tire interference?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM
benhoopes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by niko20 View Post
Hi,

Can you tell me what the wheels/tires are in the photos that are just the frame with the wheels?

I have 8 lug hubs too and want to get new stuff eventually. Are they 17's? No problem with tire interference?
On the older trucks like these they still used the 8 x6.5 8 lug bolt pattern. These are 18's. They are Method Wheels in the titanium color. I have since changed my mind on the paint color so they will be up for sale very soon. They are mounted on 37" NItto Terra Grapplers. They were just some old tires that I used to run on my 2016 Dodge 3500. This combo clears all steering and sheet metal by a mile with the 2" lift I have installed. I just got some 17's that will be installed in the next week or so. They will be mounted to 40"x13.5" Goodyears Duratrac Kevlar tires. Pictures of that setup will be coming soon. Stay tuned. This will be a fun week ahead. Lots of fun toys to install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1977 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed Restoration

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.