1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Advancetrac

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM
rriveroll
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Advancetrac

I am getting the SERVICE ADVANCE TRAC message on startup and the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL lights are on.

Happened after hitting a pothole at high speed on 4x4 on a dirt road.

Strange thing is im getting no DTC Codes and wont reset. Im using both a basic 30$ OBD scanner and also with a 5 Star Tunner.

Any ideas why I dont get the codes, and also where should I start troubleshooting?

2013 F250 Superduty 6.2L Lariat Crew Cab

Old 01-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
Check that the large wire harness directly above the parking brake assembly is tight. This is a common issue for this harness to come loose and cause the truck to do all sorts of weird things.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Yep, check the plugs above the parking brake. Common problem.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scanners including programmers like SCT will only pull codes from the ECM and maybe the TCM. don't bother buying a scanner, get an OBDII Link MX and download FORScan so you can read and pull codes from all your modules.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:21 PM
rriveroll
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scottscott
Yep, check the plugs above the parking brake. Common problem.
You mean inside the cabin or at the rear axle?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM
rriveroll
Freshman User
Originally Posted by strokenboost
The scanners including programmers like SCT will only pull codes from the ECM and maybe the TCM. don't bother buying a scanner, get an OBDII Link MX and download FORScan so you can read and pull codes from all your modules.
Thanks that explains it. Will buy the OBDII Link MX !!!!

Should I get the bluetooth version or the wi-fi version. I guess it depends on FORScan, I would prefer using my android phone (Bluetooth) unless the Windows version (Wi-Fi) is better. What do you think?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by rriveroll
You mean inside the cabin or at the rear axle?
Inside the cab, right above the parking brake pedal. There should be a harness clipped to the parking brake assembly, & a couple of plugs near by. Wiggle those plugs & work them back & forth, then push in tight. Some remove the harness from the brake assembly & wire tie it off to something else. I got by with just wiggling the plugs.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:43 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by rriveroll
Thanks that explains it. Will buy the OBDII Link MX !!!!

Should I get the bluetooth version or the wi-fi version. I guess it depends on FORScan, I would prefer using my android phone (Bluetooth) unless the Windows version (Wi-Fi) is better. What do you think?
It depends on what you want to use it with. I bought the wifi version mainly because I wanted to use it with iOS (iPhone). The bluetooth version only works with Android phones. However, either version will work with any windows laptop that has bluetooth or wifi. For something like this, I'd personally prefer to use bluetooth if I didn't need it to work with iOS.

On a related note... a $2000.00 scanner at a shop couldn't pull the codes and make changes to the modules like FORScan could.

Between free FORScan and 75.00 for the OBDLink its a no brainer for any Ford owner with some basic garage mechanic skills.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM
cangim
Postmaster
What ever side you hit the pot hole with I’d check your abs wire/cable on, sounds like it either be torn or cut.

As for obd, I tried the WiFi for iOS, the MX with Android is where I landed. It just works better for me. Went through red WiFi versions with intermittent connectivity before making the call. Then I got the response of “good call the MX works better” great customer service though. Used phone from pool of friends, easy to come across cheap if not free on a bet.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by cangim
What ever side you hit the pot hole with I’d check your abs wire/cable on, sounds like it either be torn or cut.

As for obd, I tried the WiFi for iOS, the MX with Android is where I landed. It just works better for me. Went through red WiFi versions with intermittent connectivity before making the call. Then I got the response of “good call the MX works better” great customer service though. Used phone from pool of friends, easy to come across cheap if not free on a bet.
I was wondering if the bluetooth version has an easier time staying connected when your monitoring. I noticed that the wifi version does disconnect after about 10-15 minutes also. Either way, both work great for using FORScan.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I was wondering if the bluetooth version has an easier time staying connected when your monitoring. I noticed that the wifi version does disconnect after about 10-15 minutes also. Either way, both work great for using FORScan.
I would get maybe 5 min at max, where on the MX it works the duration of the trips no issue. Highly recommend moving over to the MX if you are looking for continual monitoring.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by cangim
I would get maybe 5 min at max, where on the MX it works the duration of the trips no issue. Highly recommend moving over to the MX if you are looking for continual monitoring.
You mean the bluetooth version vs. wifi, right? They are both "MX"

Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Williams65
Junior User
Question; I've read a lot about this forescan program but mostly from guys with newer trucks. Will it work with my 2008?

Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
yes, because its all about CAN Bus... when they moved to CAN bus in 2005/2006, that's when they started introducing multiple controllers or modules that all essentially talk to each other over the Controller Area Network (CAN). That's why most of these off the shelf scanners are for ****, because they don't know how to interpret the CAN bus messages coming from the other modules. (at least that's my hunch). They are only aware of the PCM and TCM... now you have body control module, brake control module, steering control module, infotainment control module.... etc

Its honestly gotten ridiculous... and Ford thought they would be cute and create proprietary tools like their IDS tool that is the ONLY thing that can talk to it... Thank GOD for FORScan...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
cangim
Postmaster
You mean the bluetooth version vs. wifi, right? They are both "MX"
Yes sorry, Bluetooth works much better.

ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Service Advancetrac