Installing cab - best way? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Installing cab - best way?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:37 PM
jerry_s
Senior User
jerry_s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installing cab - best way?

A bit ironic that currently Greg Rogers's post is about removing the cab!

Anyways, I'm at the point where I want to start putting a lot of the parts back on the chassis so I can get it to the shop to do the final parts - wiring, etc.

The cab seems like it's gonna be the hardest part. I have a lot of tools, but not many friends in the Irvine area, so any method that would require fewer people would be best!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 PM
jvmcc
Elder User
jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.
Four people can place a cab on a chassis, as long as that's all it is...a bare cab without doors, seats, etc. Getting the two front bolts in is a breeze. It's handy to have a couple of helpers to wiggle the cab around when you go to put the bolts through the dog bones.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation

I used the shop hoist for removal and installation..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:06 PM
jerry_s
Senior User
I do have a shop hoist. How did you make the wooden piece that goes in the cab and not have it tilt such that the cab just slides off?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:09 PM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
I did mine the same as John. You can see my cab reinstallation starting here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17604981

Ignore the picture with the chains, 2x4s, and come-a-long. That was before I had an engine hoist.....and brains.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Maybe this picture will give you a better idea , it was something I through together about an hour before I lifted the cab off the frame. This picture of course was one of the several times I had it on and off the frame. When it's lifted it stays level and balanced perfectly..
just

Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Gicknordon
Posting Guru
Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold

Only need two people this way, one if you want to get on and off a bunch of times.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:35 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Go back and look closely at examples of cab handling in the removal thread. It is a one man job to install the cab with an engine hoist. Just plan and go slowly.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post

Only need two people this way, one if you want to get on and off a bunch of times.
I think you'd have to be careful so you don't damage your drip rails that way using slings...but you definitely have the biggest shop hoist...lol

Old 01-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post

Downright SHOW-OFF!! Spoiled Kid! Geezzz...

Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
Maybe this picture will give you a better idea , it was something I through together about an hour before I lifted the cab off the frame. This picture of course was one of the several times I had it on and off the frame. When it's lifted it stays level and balanced perfectly..
just
This looks exactly like how I did it. 4X4 across inside the cab, centered the end of the hoist until it balanced. Careful careful and worked great!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:18 AM
jerry_s
Senior User
Just a couple of questions on the image that 56Panel uploaded:

Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jerry_s View Post
Just a couple of questions on the image that 56Panel uploaded:
Everything is connected, making it one solid rig. The flat pieces on the end are connected to the 4x4s, not only tying them together, it forms a cradle to keep the cab from sliding off the ends.

I think the metal pieces are just a couple of angles to connect the end of the hoist to the middle 4x4. John will have to answer that one.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Indybeer
Senior User
Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.Indybeer has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't have any pics, but I used a ceiling hoist also. I used 2 4 by 4's thru the door with 2 straps between the beams and the hoist. I also used a engine leveling bar to level it front to back as I lowered it. I got the cab on by myself with no problem.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.
I just did mine by myself using a engine hoist through the side window and using four ratchet straps hooked to seat belt bolts in the floor. I was actually surprised how easy it was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing cab - best way?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.