Vacuum wipers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vacuum wipers

Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Silver54
Elder User
Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
Vacuum wipers

Hey guys, just wondering if any one knows proper amount of vacuum that the wipers require for a 55. Was hoping to purchase a little 12 volt vacuum pump to run them but not sure the volume per minute that would be correct for these.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Just add a vacuum tank. I think that I got this one from JEGS.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
Just add a vacuum tank. I think that I got this one from JEGS.

That'd be the answer to my air horn question in another thread, wouldn't it? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lt-system.html

Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
If I remember right, the Wiperman says he tests rebuilt units at 14 inches of vacuum. A couple years ago I figured out how much volume was required to run the motor. I used the approximate internal dimensions of the motor, frequency, and high school level math to figure demand. I have no idea what I did with my figures or I would share. FWIW, I built a reservoir from four inch PVC pipe that will give me 14 full swipes of the wipers with the engine turned off. My reservoir is either 3 or 4 feet long.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by abe View Post
That'd be the answer to my air horn question in another thread, wouldn't it? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lt-system.html
I don't think so abe. That is a vacuum tank and not made to hold pressure.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:00 PM
pbsdaddy
Postmaster
pbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud of
Any junk yard/you pick will have those tanks for a dollar or two. Late sixties through early eighties chevy products are easy to access and remove. They look like a plastic ball.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
I don't think so abe. That is a vacuum tank and not made to hold pressure.
Duh! Oh Boy, Stupid me. Thanks for catching that... They're called AIR horns, not VACUUM horns.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 PM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant future
Duh! Oh Boy, Stupid me. Thanks for catching that... They're called AIR horns, not VACUUM horns.
Maybe they work like a harmonica?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
Any junk yard/you pick will have those tanks for a dollar or two. Late sixties through early eighties chevy products are easy to access and remove. They look like a plastic ball.
My 57 Chevy had power brakes. The canister looked like a tomato juice tin can painted black.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
Just make sure that it has a check valve.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Silver54
Elder User
Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
Awesome, thanks guys I will look into this and see if it works out

Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 AM
pbsdaddy
Postmaster
pbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud ofpbsdaddy has much to be proud of
My 57 Chevy had power brakes. The canister looked like a tomato juice tin can painted black.

Yeah, I remember those.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a great reputation on FTE.
Maybe an air brake reservoir would work for you?

Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stephen67 View Post
Maybe an air brake reservoir would work for you?
Yes, but I'd still need a pump to compress the air. Did you ever see the big Job engines that had a compressor sitting on top of the engine run by a belt off the crank?

I guess I'll give up on this thought. .... Unless I could fill said reservoir at home or at filling stations with an air compressor and blow my horns until I run out then fill it again. Sounds like fun.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Yes, but I'd still need a pump to compress the air. Did you ever see the big Job engines that had a compressor sitting on top of the engine run by a belt off the crank?

I guess I'll give up on this thought. .... Unless I could fill said reservoir at home or at filling stations with an air compressor and blow my horns until I run out then fill it again. Sounds like fun.

I worked for UHAUL back in '89-'90 as a Mobile Repair Unit. There were big trucks that had air compressors belt driven off the engine. IIRC they were for the air ride suspensions. Might keep an eye out for BIG ORANGE and WHITE trucks in the salvage yards?
There is a local guy here, he has TRAIN horns under his raised bed. When he pulls the chain you see thousands of people jerk, twist, jump, fall, cuss, and look around! Not gonna lie...I laughed until I cried !

try this:

Last edited by Jeff and Nicolle; 01-11-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum wipers

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.