Vacuum wipers - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vacuum wipers

Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Here's a stock 56 Big Job engine with a compressor all decked out.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
I worked for UHAUL back in '89-'90 as a Mobile Repair Unit. There were big trucks that had air compressors belt driven off the engine. IIRC they were for the air ride suspensions. Might keep an eye out for BIG ORANGE and WHITE trucks in the salvage yards?
There is a local guy here, he has TRAIN horns under his raised bed. When he pulls the chain you see thousands of people jerk, twist, jump, fall, cuss, and look around! Not gonna lie...I laughed until I cried !
In some parts of the country that will get you the attention you deserve.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemcl View Post
In some parts of the country that will get you the attention you deserve.

My horns came from a Pinto...
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to beholdJeff and Nicolle is a splendid one to behold
All fun aside, I am interested in using my vacuum wipers also. I hope this sheds some light on the subject. My truck only had the drivers side wiper, so I will need to get the extra hardware for the other side, but that is a long way from priority at this point.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Freshman User

1948Dev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.1948Dev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver54 View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if any one knows proper amount of vacuum that the wipers require for a 55. Was hoping to purchase a little 12 volt vacuum pump to run them but not sure the volume per minute that would be correct for these.

Thanks
Don't know but even with a rebuilt vacuum motor, mine needed a well lubed linkage to successfully run two wipers.
Then you still have the issue with not wiping when you're on the throttle.
I fixed that deal with a Trico electro-vac, which is an electric vacuum pump that supplements the unsteady vacuum provided by the engine. Works like a charm. Provides enough vacuum to drag dry wipers across the windshield and places the wipers into the usable category when you're running down the road.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Elder User

52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yikes! I saw a Trico Electro-Vac on e-bay for $450. I was all interested in your solution, but $450 certainly dampens my enthusiasm.

Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
Yikes! I saw a Trico Electro-Vac on e-bay for $450. I was all interested in your solution, but $450 certainly dampens my enthusiasm.

Jim
Jim, Rainex on the windshield is a lot cheaper, isn't it?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Elder User

52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Rainex is good! My truck never had working vipers. Why should I all of a sudden feel I can't get by without them? I did send my wiper motor off to be rebuilt, however, and I do have a vacuum tank like the one Peter recommends. I'm getting soft and spoiled in old age.

Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
The guy on ebay that has the trico pump for sale does not know what he has. Fuel injection??? Guess that is why it is $450. I paid $20. for one identical a couple years back that is available for the $20. price if anyone is interested.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Freshman User

1948Dev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.1948Dev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post

Jim
I paid $150 for it NOS on eBay in April 2017.
They do vary some in price. I've seen them from $80, all the way up. You can tell the NOS ones because they look 70 years old but have red plastic caps on the inlet and exhaust sides of the pump. They use Delco appliance motors too, which are very long lived for quality, so even a "used" one is
going to provide many years of service.