Car seat in extended cab - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car seat in extended cab

Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Senior User

Potlicker David is starting off with a positive reputation.
Car seat in extended cab

My wife is pregnant and we are looking at car seats. Dang those things are huge these days!!! Oh and dont forget that kids have to be in a car seat till they are 10!!! TEN STINKIN YEARS OLD!!! I was driving cars by 10 on the farm. (I am only 23 so that was not that long ago) I have 00 Extended cab and I am not sure if any car seat will fit in it. It isnt really in the budget to buy another truck but I am not sure what to do. I do have some other problems with my truck see other thread coming soon. Has anyone successfully used recent car seats with one of these trucks. I want to stay completely safe and legal so not looking for "I just straped it in sideways" or any jurry rigged systems.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Posting Guru

brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.
I had kids in forward facing booseter in my 99 extended cab 250. You might get 1 rear facing infant or convertible in the middle of the rear seat.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Posting Guru

Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
They should fit...just keep in mind that although the car seats are big... those kids will continue to GROW!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Elder User

Baatzy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I currently have 3 car seats in the back of my 01 extended cab. 1 booster, behind the passenger seat (passenger seat is quite a ways forward). 1 infant carrier, no base, that goes in the middle and gets buckled in every time. 1 convertible, which is in forward facing mode, behind the driver seat. I also sit quite far forward because I have short legs and the clutch has to go a long ways.

I can try to get a picture later today when I pick the kids up. The setup works, not as well as my CC but hey, its a whole hell of a lot better than walking.

Baatzy
Old 01-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Elder User

Baatzy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is a picture with the two seats. The carrier will go in the middle.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Elder User

afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I didn't have an infant carrier when I had my truck, but I use a booster and a forward facing car seat in the back
Old 01-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Posting Guru

Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
I've been thinking about this... I grew up riding in the back of pick up trucks, drinking water from a garden hose, the Barns had Lead paint on them. And for the most part I'm normal :cough: Why can't the kids just ride in the back where you have all kinds room? You may object to this thinking because it's your first one but by the time you have 2 or 3 you'll welcome the peace and quiet that comes with it.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Senior User

Oldanvilyoungsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 View Post
You might get 1 rear facing infant or convertible in the middle of the rear seat.

That's it right there! Got a 3 month old shop assistant now. He uses a Graco click connect car seat. The base will only go in the middle seat (2000 F250 super cab, with 2 main doors, and the 2 suicide doors for the back seat) and I have to have the console down when the car seat is in. It's a squeeze, but it does work.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Elder User

pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.pirschwagon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I was one of those Seat Certified people at a Dealership I worked at.

No you can not put a child restraint seat behind the front seat in a Quad or Extended Cab.

Only in the 4-Door Cab.

For the first year, the seat must be rear facing. If used in the front seat, it must be in the Seat and not between the Driver and Passenger. And, the Air Bag must be disabled until the seat is forward facing or the seat is not in the Truck.

The rear seat, middle location is safest.

You can find everything on the NHTSA site.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
^^^ it's how I rolled, when picking up my niece. Airbag off, niece upfront, and wife in the back..lol. (wifes' a shot, 4'10")
Old 01-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Senior User

Potlicker David is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldanvilyoungsmith View Post
That's it right there! Got a 3 month old shop assistant now. He uses a Graco click connect car seat. The base will only go in the middle seat (2000 F250 super cab, with 2 main doors, and the 2 suicide doors for the back seat) and I have to have the console down when the car seat is in. It's a squeeze, but it does work.

Good luck!
This is great news. I think that is actually the one my wife wants...yes I have basically zero input into which car seat we buy lol But thats fine because she doesnt tell me what tools to buy lol

As others have stated they do grow and I am planning on a CC down the road but there are some other things going on in the future that have bearing on what type of truck I need. I am not ready to buy one yet...Unless I find a good deal ..... Or my truck needs more work than I think.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:57 PM
Post Fiend

BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
I have a booster behind the passenger and a rear facing in the middle. It's been like that for a year now.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Posting Guru

brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a good reputation on FTE.
Find a store that you can test fit them before buying. I know around toys r us does that.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Posting Guru

SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
I tend to agree with Pirsch, I don't think it's legal in the extended cab versions. At least not for forward facing seats. There's no place to put the top strap that prevents the car seat from falling forward. This is the strap that must go to a fixed hook on the package shelf or on the back of the seat in an SUV/wagon type car. At least not on my '99.

I'm not sure about rear facing, as they can normally use the lap belt to be properly secured.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Senior User

Wesley Green is starting off with a positive reputation.
Crazy. I remember when my brothers n I would ride in parent's '88 extended cab on 2k mile summer vacations until we were old enough to start driving our own vehicles. We ain't short. Felt like our knees touched our Adam's apples the whole time. Granted that's the #1 reason I held out for a CC instead of the easy to find ext cabs when my then new bride and I were looking for this truck. Now we have 4 kids 😲

Anyways, check your state's laws.
I know in my state of OK and our twice a year destination state of CA, its Rear facing till they are 2 years old 😭 Also here in OK they have to be in a booster till 8 yrs old, or like 85#, and not even allowed in a front seat if there is a back seat, until they are past booster age.

When we vacation with 5th wheel it's me driving, 10yr old & wife in front, 2, 9, & 4 yr old in back. Dog stays home 🤠