2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I really like my Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like my Apple CarPlay

Just wanted to say after using Android Auto, Ford Sync 3 with Nav, and Apple CarPlay, my favorite by far is CarPlay. Funny how everyone else seems to trash it so much. It works flawlessly for me and the interface is very clean. Only wish I maintained the exterior temp display through CarPlay. I prefer Google Maps to Apple Maps but it’s not light years better. I’m using Sync 2.2

Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 AM
stewy604
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you. Great interface, only had it bug out a couple times (plugged in my phone and it didn't recognize it). Other than that, its been great...use it every day. +1 for the temperature, I hate having to click on the Sync app button to get the temp view. It'd be nice if you could add it to the Productivity screen somehow.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Faceplant409
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with both of you.
+2 for temperature.
I also have had it bug out 2x- reconnected phone and it straightened out both times.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:32 AM
MNSuper
Senior User
I dislike the temp thing also but I also hate how my text messages are displayed. I wish that could be turned off. I would rather keep who I text private and not a part of CarPlay.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:14 AM
ctoddrun
New User
Agree on the exterior temp thing. Have been using it for almost a week now, and really like it overall. I do wish there were other nav apps supported - I use Waze daily for traffic alerts, etc. Test drove a Chevy with CarPlay before I bought the F250 and seem to recall that their implementation had a "Cast" app that would allow you to display whatever was on your iPhone screen. Couldn't interact like with Apple Maps in CarPlay, but at least could see what Waze was showing. I might be misremembering that, though.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:57 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ctoddrun
I do wish there were other nav apps supported - I use Waze daily for traffic alerts, etc.
Ford just announced today that, when Sync3 v3.0 is officially released, it will support Waze directly from the Sync3 menu (no CarPlay or Android Auto needed - note the 'Waze' button on the Sync3 menu).

We've been discussing it in another thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...phone-app.html

Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This new built in technology isn’t going to age well, in a few short years these displays will look like an old woodgrain console television set in the center of the dash. I try to get every car with no electronics and just use my phone. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody enter directions manually in that old navigation system. Lyft , Uber , friends , family I’ve never seen anybody use the indash navigation. We all use are phones

Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Originally Posted by MNSuper
I dislike the temp thing also but I also hate how my text messages are displayed. I wish that could be turned off. I would rather keep who I text private and not a part of CarPlay.
Time to put your mistress under a different name. Haha!

Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
This new built in technology isn’t going to age well, in a few short years these displays will look like an old woodgrain console television set in the center of the dash. I try to get every car with no electronics and just use my phone. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody enter directions manually in that old navigation system. Lyft , Uber , friends , family I’ve never seen anybody use the indash navigation. We all use are phones
Disagree. This was a valid argument years ago, but today, most everything can be upgraded via firmware. Heck, now it's happening over the air. Further, most folks don't keep their vehicles long enough for the technology to "age well" (or not).

Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 AM
SolarDeity
Freshman User
I disagree with how well Apple Car Play works. Maybe for other apps but for directions and Nav, AA dominates (believe me, I'm an Apple guy too). Have a Galaxy S8+ for work and an iPhone X for play. AA/Google Assistant/Google Maps is far better than Siri/ACP/Apple Maps for directions, or anything else you want to use voice commands for. Try asking Siri for directions to Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot or Lowes. Outside temp is there too. Ford Nav is a distant 3rd to both of them. Slow and finicky.

SD

Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM
tahoskier
New User
You can always ask Siri for the outside temp.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
wfedwar
Elder User
Originally Posted by MNSuper
I also hate how my text messages are displayed. I wish that could be turned off. I would rather keep who I text private and not a part of CarPlay.
You can turn that off in notification settings

Old 01-11-2018, 12:21 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Originally Posted by wfedwar
You can turn that off in notification settings
But I think even I f you do that, when clicking on the Messages app, it shows a listing of all text conversations, grouped by name.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:28 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
Originally Posted by stewy604
But I think even I f you do that, when clicking on the Messages app, it shows a listing of all text conversations, grouped by name.
Yes, I don't know how to block that. I thought the concern was just about the notifications.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Originally Posted by wfedwar
Yes, I don't know how to block that. I thought the concern was just about the notifications.
Could be both? I don't know. If I'm ever worried about it, I just don't connect via CarPlay

Quick Reply: I really like my Apple CarPlay