5.4 2V passenger side engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
5.4 2V passenger side engine knock

My work truck is a 00 f250 5.4 2v obviously with 288k. Every cold start the engine makes this knocking noise (ill post a video of exactly how it sounds) coming from the passenger side that started when the truck hit 200k, its not piston slap, hasnt affected performance nor is there any metal in the oil, just curious as to what the cause of this is? Is there a cure to this? Compression is 180 psi across all cylinders that vary only by 5 psi, i put a camera in each spark plug hole to rule out carbon build up but found nothing that caught my eye. The sounds diminishes drastically once im up to temp and doesnt come back unless the truck has been sitting for a few hours. Any help in the matter would be great theres many videos of this noise with no end result as to what it is.

Its not my video but the exact same sound coming from my truck.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Bump.......

Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 AM
mikekerr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Deleted, error in my reply on problem.

Last edited by mikekerr; 01-10-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: errored thinking OP had a ticking issue instead of a knocking issue
Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Jake9473
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my v10 makes a ticking, almost like the valve tick on a 4.0 jeep engine. I'm assuming it is what you are experiencing as well.

I believe my sound to be the hydraulic lash adjusters. the noise goes away to almost not even audible as the engine warms the PO was using heavy weight oil. I switched it back to 5w30 and the noise is not as loud, and goes away faster. I am going to treat this next oil change with a little bit of seafoam, and hopefully I can get all the gunk deposits off and the truck running quietly again

rthis may or may not be ytour issue, but

Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
My work truck is a 00 f250 5.4 2v obviously with 288k. Every cold start the engine makes this knocking noise (ill post a video of exactly how it sounds) coming from the passenger side that started when the truck hit 200k, its not piston slap, hasnt affected performance nor is there any metal in the oil, just curious as to what the cause of this is? ..... The sounds diminishes drastically once im up to temp and doesnt come back unless the truck has been sitting for a few hours. ....
Our 2003 Exped 5.4L is doing a very similar thing, loud ticking at startup on passenger side and goes away once oil pressure has built up after 2 min or so. Not a hint of ticking after that. It's been doing this since around 130k and now has 170k, runs great. I've read it's probably the timing chain has stretched, but need to do more research.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Oh this aint a bad timing guide or tensioner this is a traight knock coming from the passenger side from what sounds like cylinder 3 and 4, i remember reading that the 4.6 2v had a problem on the passenger side cam oiler valve or something like that, that made them tick but this aint a tick its a straight knock like on the video, I dont have a Kitty so that reules out the exhaust part. We had this this truck on the fleet when it had only 100K using 5w30 oil, doesnt burn a drop of oil either. Could it just be worn out wrist pin?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Oh this aint a bad timing guide or tensioner this is a traight knock coming from the passenger side from what sounds like cylinder 3 and 4, i remember reading that the 4.6 2v had a problem on the passenger side cam oiler valve or something like that, that made them tick but this aint a tick its a straight knock like on the video, I dont have a Kitty so that reules out the exhaust part. We had this this truck on the fleet when it had only 100K using 5w30 oil, doesnt burn a drop of oil either. Could it just be worn out wrist pin?

Possibly -- but you'll have to gelocate it a little better with a stethoscope, IR handheld to locate "hot" spots, etc.

You can also eliminate (pull the COP, the plug into the injector, etc) the ignition or injection to the suspected cylinder with a rod knock, wrist pin issue, etc and the sound should change, sometimes even disappear.

Bottom line: with the mileage, that motor is living on "borrowed time".

Old 01-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
Our 2003 Exped 5.4L is doing a very similar thing, loud ticking at startup on passenger side and goes away once oil pressure has built up after 2 min or so. Not a hint of ticking after that. It's been doing this since around 130k and now has 170k, runs great. I've read it's probably the timing chain has stretched, but need to do more research.
What you describe seems like exhaust manifold leak due to broken studs. Mine does the same. One things for certain though- it doesn’t take 2 minutes for oil pressure to build up. If it takes more than 10 seconds you have a tremendous problem.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
What you describe seems like exhaust manifold leak due to broken studs. Mine does the same. One things for certain though- it doesn’t take 2 minutes for oil pressure to build up. If it takes more than 10 seconds you have a tremendous problem.
I don't have any broken manifolds studs.
Is the timing chain oil supply one of the first things to pressure up?
My old push rod engines used to take 2-3 min before oil would come out of the tubes and flow onto the rockers.
What is rubbing to make the ticking?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:57 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Same as mine with 145k. Has done it since I can remember. My manifold leaks and has been repaired twice. It isn’t the sound the manifold leak makes and the sound doesn’t change. Here’s my video. I started a thread yesterday.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Ok guys, i used a home made stethoscope (a 1/8 fuel line works great) and the sound definatly is coming from the top end from the passenger side, I unplugged injector and COP with no change in sound (thta rules out a rod bearing and wrist pin bushing) im starting to thing it might be a worn out cam follower, or the cam holding caps worn out. When ever I reseal the front timing cover and valve cover ill take a look.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
68 351 bronc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 2001 2v v-10 is doing a very similar thing. It is a cold weather noise that it has done for several years in the cold of winter (below 32 degrees) but in the past it has only done it for maybe 30 seconds. It does NOT start making the ticking noise until it has been running for about 1 minute 2. This fall it started getting a bit louder and now takes 2-3 minutes to go away completely. The colder out it is the louder and longer it lasts. I have 168,000 on the motor and I bought the truck new. I have allways kept the oil changed with Motorcraft 5W-20. I would really like to know what you find.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:32 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Ok so i used my AE scan tool, and had a knock sensor code (forgot to write it dowm) anyways this code never popped out before so decided to install a new one. I did the usual removing intake manifold cleaned parts etc, and sure enough apparently a rodent decided to eat the wire insulation from the knock sensor and both wores were exposed and touching each other. Git everything button up and to my surprise at the first start the knock wasnt there no more literally it disappeared, im guessing this sensor was giving out along time ago and the chewed wires gave the code away. What i still dont understand is why is the sound coming from the passenger side on my truck and on all trucks that ive seen on You tube?

Here's is a pic of the KS

and the new one in the truck

Old 03-06-2018, 07:52 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
ya gotta be kidding me. Thinking about trying it.
Lots of work considering she hasn't lost power and there are no codes.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
You can data log to rule it out and never in a million years did I thought of data logging to see what what my timing was, technology I have it but sometimes I overlook the little things, who would of thought a sound that sounded mechanical was just timing getting retarded. Hope you guys that have a knock data log and see if your timing isnt getting skewed by a faulty knock sensor and hopefully its an easy fix like mine was.
i also test drove the truck and the knock is gone, when ialso when lugging the engine up hill I had a bad spark knock and it too went away.

Quick Reply: 5.4 2V passenger side engine knock