6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New Here but not to FTE, thinking about a 13 6.7

Old 01-07-2018, 02:29 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New Here but not to FTE, thinking about a 13 6.7

Happy New Year guys, my name is Corey and I usually reside down in the 94.5-97 7.3 Forums. I have a really nice obs that a friend of mine wants to buy and I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a 6.7 in the same configuration as my truck. CC, LB, SRW. I found a one owner 2013 with 64k on it, looks to have been fastidiously dealer serviced with no major or questionable repairs except for some SYNC or radio thing I’ve read about on here. I tow a 12.5k boat short hauls throughout the summer and I’m thinking a 6.7 would just make it much better than my old warhorse. I’m questioning a few things, I do all the wrenching on my 96 and am under no dilusion that I wont be able to do it all on a 6.7 so the whole reliability and maintenance thing has me thinking. @ 64k and being a 2013 is the powertrain still covered or is it on the cusp of expiring? Thought it was 5 years or 100k whatever comes 1st correct? I’m not going to have a boatload of cash laying around here as I’m starting a rennovation and possible metal building this summer so what is the smart move as far as extended warranty goes? Also, and this is my biggest concern; how are the transmissions in these trucks? If you’ve been a ford guy for a while you know where I’m coming from especially if you’ve ever owned a 7.3 with a slushbox, thankfully mine is a zf5 for that very reason. Its possible that down the road I may level or lift the truck with 35s or 37s and I’ll tow the boat on occation, I just dont want to be that guy with a bad tranny, no warranty, full out of pocket disaster.. I’m really looking forward to the prospects of a newer truck but dunno if I can stomach the unknown or the though of impending doom.. Help me feel better about this! Lol.. Anyway, thanks guys, pleased to meet you and thanks for listening and providing your thoughts. Pic of my truck and the one I’m looking at for fun since everybody likes pics...

Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Hello Corey and welcome to the 6.7 Forum.
I have a 12 and love it. Went to the shop once for a flash update to eliminate shut down if a EGT. sensor fails. They all got that up to 15 I believe.
I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed a new truck.
I believe you are correct on the warranty. Mine just ran out this fall.
Not worried a bit.
The transmission is said to be rock solid.
If you have done your home work on the used truck you are thinking of buying, and can trust the PO. Go for it and don't look back.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:02 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Hello Corey and welcome to the 6.7 Forum.
I have a 12 and love it. Went to the shop once for a flash update to eliminate shut down if a EGT. sensor fails. They all got that up to 15 I believe.
I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed a new truck.
I believe you are correct on the warranty. Mine just ran out this fall.
Not worried a bit.
The transmission is said to be rock solid.
If you have done your home work on the used truck you are thinking of buying, and can trust the PO. Go for it and don't look back.
Wow Tim thank you, thats a ringing endorsement. Now that prompts a couple questions, one is when did the 6.7 get a supstantial update the 12 to 13 model year? Was it a new turbo? Also are there any spares you can carry with a 6.7 that are a common wear item like that egt sensor? Say if one could clear codes and install new parts..

Old 01-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too agonized over what to buy when it was my time to upgrade; it slowly dawned on me (while reading the 6.0 forum, the 6.4 forum and this 6.7 forum) that the 6.7 forum was very quiet. No where near the reported problems of the others (excluding the model year 2011) - in engine or drive train.

On faith I bit the bullet and have been happy. Of course YMMV.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Also I’m wondering; I believe there were two gear ratio options 3.55s and 3.73s correct? Or was there lower available in a cc lariat configuration? Probably 4.88s or something in a cab and chassis but I dunno about non commercial stuff. Do any of you guys have anything to say about ratios when considering towing relitively heavy or going to a 35-37” tire? I’m pretty up to speed on the old stuff, my 96 has 4.10ls and a zf5 w 37s and does fine but my old 97 was an auto with 3.55s and 35s an it was a strait up dog even with some tuning. Now I realize the trans is totally different but the same physics apply with tires or towing heavy.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Army RET
I too agonized over what to buy when it was my time to upgrade; it slowly dawned on me (while reading the 6.0 forum, the 6.4 forum and this 6.7 forum) that the 6.7 forum was very quiet. No where near the reported problems of the others (excluding the model year 2011) - in engine or drive train.

On faith I bit the bullet and have been happy. Of course YMMV.
Good research tact, thank you for the advise.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
I believe the big updates were 15 but I could be off.
I have the Egt sensor but doubt I will need it with the flash. They changed the max temp the rocket ship could get to and that seemed to help.
I have a spare set of filters behind the rear seat. and a socket and ratchet that fits the DFCM bowl. (Filter and pump on the frame)
I have been tempted to delete mine for the fun factor ! Nothing else.
I have drive one that SCT X 4 tuner woke up quite well. Just don't need any more power for what I do.
Go to the top of the 6.7 forum and look at the 6.7 coffee table books, there are two of them, I think all your questions will be answered. If not we will gladly try to help.
Edit to add.. It's called the Tech folder.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,437 Likes on 887 Posts
Go getcha one.... You may have time to get an ESP warranty if you want additional warranty. As for the transmission they can take just about anything short of a artillery hit. They're just that solid.

My '12 has 136k miles and has had the Nox and two EGT sensors replaced to date along with a emissions recall flash performed a few years ago.

Great truck....

Old 01-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
3.55 will pull a boat quite easily.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks fellas, I guess the more of them we have on the road and more importantly in the forums the bigger the database and pool of knowlage for trouble shooting and general owner piece of mind. I’ll go check out the tech folder, I’m sure there were a number of service bulletins and whatnot for reflashes and updates that should have already been done on a 2013; thats the next question that comes to mind; I’ll go take a look. Feel free to add more here if you see fit.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey, welcome to the 6.7 side. I had a 97 F350 with the Zf5 speed and the 7.3. Absolutely loved that truck and still kicking myself for selling it. However, stepping up to a 2012 with the 6.7 was a very good choice for me in regards to power and ride comfort. I pull 13,000 # 5th wheel and the 6.7 is as many others have stated " it's a beast". Fuel mileage 18 empty and 11 - 11.5 pulling 5ver. I have 52,000 miles currently with a warranty that takes me 9/2020. I feel the extended warranty is a must and after my warranty runs out it'll be time for a new one. Radiators, power mirrors are costly repairs if performed by Ford . Now you can do your own wrenching but I think given the complaints about Radiators I check mine often. It's not if, it's when they fail. I've had the recall re-flash for the EGT Sensors that Ford offered and I carry 2 spare Exhaust Sensors and a 13mm flare wrench. The sensor issues are well noted on the 6.7 forum. I also installed the Rudy's Cold Air Intake Tubes as this is another Ford engineering issue other than that no mechanical issues. IMO and owning Fords Trucks since 1976 my number 1 complaint with my 2012 is the rear wheel hop at 45-50 mph which Ford would not cover under extended warranty. Good luck with your choice.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Wrighton
Corey, welcome to the 6.7 side. I had a 97 F350 with the Zf5 speed and the 7.3. Absolutely loved that truck and still kicking myself for selling it. However, stepping up to a 2012 with the 6.7 was a very good choice for me in regards to power and ride comfort. I pull 13,000 # 5th wheel and the 6.7 is as many others have stated " it's a beast". Fuel mileage 18 empty and 11 - 11.5 pulling 5ver. I have 52,000 miles currently with a warranty that takes me 9/2020. I feel the extended warranty is a must and after my warranty runs out it'll be time for a new one. Radiators, power mirrors are costly repairs if performed by Ford . Now you can do your own wrenching but I think given the complaints about Radiators I check mine often. It's not if, it's when they fail. I've had the recall re-flash for the EGT Sensors that Ford offered and I carry 2 spare Exhaust Sensors and a 13mm flare wrench. The sensor issues are well noted on the 6.7 forum. I also installed the Rudy's Cold Air Intake Tubes as this is another Ford engineering issue other than that no mechanical issues. IMO and owning Fords Trucks since 1976 my number 1 complaint with my 2012 is the rear wheel hop at 45-50 mph which Ford would not cover under extended warranty. Good luck with your choice.
Thank you very much for your experience, I like the fact that we’re talking apples to apples! I wouldnt admit this to just anyone but since I feel I’m in good company; my truck just isnt comfy anymore for my body. I mean I’m only 43 and the seats are visually fine but whenever I go on a long trip I’m literally aching by the end. Whenever I ride around in newer trucks I wonder why I dont own one, lol.. Thanks for mentioning the towing too, thats pretty paramount; my boat is a beast... Very much value about carried spars and maintenance items.
Could you please give me a briefing on your warranty coverage? I’m of the exact same school of thought. I feel I’d like to have the truck covered until I’m done paying for it. By that time I’ll be ready for another. Gotta be covered with these though is what I’m understanding and believing.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 PM
Wrighton
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Thank you very much for your experience, I like the fact that we’re talking apples to apples! I wouldnt admit this to just anyone but since I feel I’m in good company; my truck just isnt comfy anymore for my body. I mean I’m only 43 and the seats are visually fine but whenever I go on a long trip I’m literally aching by the end. Whenever I ride around in newer trucks I wonder why I dont own one, lol.. Thanks for mentioning the towing too, thats pretty paramount; my boat is a beast... Very much value about carried spars and maintenance items.
Could you please give me a briefing on your warranty coverage? I’m of the exact same school of thought. I feel I’d like to have the truck covered until I’m done paying for it. By that time I’ll be ready for another. Gotta be covered with these though is what I’m understanding and believing.

Corey, my 3/36 ran out 9/2015 and just before it expired I purchased a 8 year 100,000 premium extended through Flood Ford. The cost I think was $2,300 at the time. Next step up was the 125,000 8 year which was more money and since I drive less than 10,000 a year the 100,000 mile fit my driving. On another note my 1997 sold within 6 hours of posting on CL. Those OBS Fords 94 - 97 with 7.3 sell quick. Mine was mint and the phone rang off the hook. Good luck

Old 01-07-2018, 07:30 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Wrighton
Corey, my 3/36 ran out 9/2015 and just before it expired I purchased a 8 year 100,000 premium extended through Flood Ford. The cost I think was $2,300 at the time. Next step up was the 125,000 8 year which was more money and since I drive less than 10,000 a year the 100,000 mile fit my driving. On another note my 1997 sold within 6 hours of posting on CL. Those OBS Fords 94 - 97 with 7.3 sell quick. Mine was mint and the phone rang off the hook. Good luck
Good to know, thanks. So these new powerstrokes only come with a 3/36 powertrain?? What happened to the 5/100? Anyway, yeah I’m an OBS junkie; my truck is exceptional, ex Arizona truck. It’ll go in a second if my buddy cant come up with the funds...

Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
It's still 5/100 on the engine.

The biggest problem with these 6.7's is that there really aren't many issues, so the forum gets a little boring. We mostly talk about campers, tractors, lawn mowers, fire pits and stuff like that. It's a good forum with good guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Here but not to FTE, thinking about a 13 6.7