1999 F350 CC DRW V10 RWD & 5th Wheel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 F350 CC DRW V10 RWD & 5th Wheel

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
AJCASSARO
AJCASSARO is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 20
AJCASSARO is starting off with a positive reputation.
1999 F350 CC DRW V10 RWD & 5th Wheel

All

I have a spotless 1999 F350 CC V10 DRW RWD. I am buying a new camper in the next couple months and I have narrowed it down to a Jayco 30.5 MBOK (12000 Lbs) loaded with 2K hitch weight or the Eagle 355 MBQS (15000 Lbs ) loaded with 2.5K hitch weight. Me and my family are in love with the larger 5th wheel. I am not going to buy a new truck so I must tow with what I have.

My dually has 137000 miles on it, I have Doug Thorley headers and Mikes 5 star tune. I have upgraded trans cooler to the 6.0 cooler for increased cooling and have air bags as well. I currently have 4.30 gears with the factory 215/85R16 tires. I think to handle the 15K 5th Wheel, I would increase to 4.88 gears.

Any one tow a big 5'er with a V10?

Can this be done with my truck? Its a shame you can't tow before you buy.

Thanks

Angelo
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller
rvpuller is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 4,015
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
I towed a 16K trailer with my 2000 DRW SC with 4.30 gears, air bags and Banks Cat Back exhaust. The biggest difference in our trucks was mine had PI heads. I traded the truck after 13 years of hard pulling because the transmission was starting to give out.

Denny
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2018, 03:24 AM
AJCASSARO
AJCASSARO is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 20
AJCASSARO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
I towed a 16K trailer with my 2000 DRW SC with 4.30 gears, air bags and Banks Cat Back exhaust. The biggest difference in our trucks was mine had PI heads. I traded the truck after 13 years of hard pulling because the transmission was starting to give out.

Denny
How did it tow? What kind of MPG's did you average? What Highway speeds did you tow at?

Thanks again

Angelo
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 AM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller
rvpuller is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 4,015
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
It towed fine, towing on long runs (1000 to 2000 miles) it would average 8 to 9). I think that the lowest we got on a single tank was 6 in a heavy wind, empty we were in the 12 to 14 range highway. Remember I has the PI heads so more HP and Torque from the factory. We normally towed between 55 to 65 depending on the roads and wind. When in the mountains on big grades we did a lot of second and first gear but I'm talking about 6 to 10% grades at high altitude, we pulled Berthoud pass in CO a couple of times a year and that's 11300 feet. The Banks power pack made no difference the flat ground that I could tell but I think it helped on the mountain grades or maybe I was trying to justify the price in my mind. .

Denny
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 AM
AJCASSARO
AJCASSARO is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 20
AJCASSARO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
It towed fine, towing on long runs (1000 to 2000 miles) it would average 8 to 9). I think that the lowest we got on a single tank was 6 in a heavy wind, empty we were in the 12 to 14 range highway. Remember I has the PI heads so more HP and Torque from the factory. We normally towed between 55 to 65 depending on the roads and wind. When in the mountains on big grades we did a lot of second and first gear but I'm talking about 6 to 10% grades at high altitude, we pulled Berthoud pass in CO a couple of times a year and that's 11300 feet. The Banks power pack made no difference the flat ground that I could tell but I think it helped on the mountain grades or maybe I was trying to justify the price in my mind. .

Denny

What's your thoughts on 4.88 gears? I also see you had an external fuel tank, how did you run yours? Do you have a thread out there I can read. I also want to run a secondary fuel tank in my bed.


Thanks


Angelo
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller
rvpuller is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 4,015
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
This is my install on my 2013 DRW, the 2000 was a little different in the way I tapped into the fuel fill, the photo shows the fittings I made and installed in the hoses.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13278973

Denny
 
Attached Images  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2018, 11:05 AM
AJCASSARO
AJCASSARO is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 20
AJCASSARO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
This is my install on my 2013 DRW, the 2000 was a little different in the way I tapped into the fuel fill, the photo shows the fittings I made and installed in the hoses.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13278973

Denny

What did you use for a in bed fuel tank? and from the looks of your pictures did you just run a Holley blue or black pump off a toggle switch to fill you factory tank on the fly?
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2018, 12:24 PM
rvpuller's Avatar
rvpuller
rvpuller is offline
Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home Base Nebraska
Posts: 4,015
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
I'm using a tank from Handy, there is a link in my install thread. I used a switch before this truck but now I'm using a timer.

Denny
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:38 PM
AllAboutDaZ
AllAboutDaZ is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 301
AllAboutDaZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone else?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
AJCASSARO
Modular V10 (6.8l)
19
01-04-2017 01:39 PM
rowekmr
1999 to 2016 Super Duty
6
02-10-2015 07:27 PM
ottomandan
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
16
05-02-2013 09:12 PM
MONAVIERONJON
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
1
02-06-2012 09:53 AM
BowDown
Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels
1
04-19-2006 01:14 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 F350 CC DRW V10 RWD & 5th Wheel


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.