Fmc4lfe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by storage_man
I also love the DEF Tank ->

DEF Tank Capacity:
5.6 gallons, 22.5 qts

I wonder how long it lasts ?
Our eco diesel grand Cherokee would go 8-10k in one def fill so I would guess close to that

Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miner999r
Aren't those numbers similar to the old 7.3 litre power stroke? I think there was a sticker on my old trucks motor that said 250 hp.
he sticker had:
250 HP and 550 lb-ft torque ....left mine on until sticker got sun bleached

Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
So us 3.5 owners can lose 125hp and 30tq to drive a higher maintenance diesel.

I have never understood the thinking here.
The fuel mileage needs to be really good for this to make sense.
This was my argument with the Ram 3.0 vs The Hemi. You can buy a Hemi Ram for invoice at bigger dealers as you can F-150's and Silverados. That's like $10k-$11k off. The diesels are gonna go for sticker which will be a few thousand more with the diesel option. You're looking at about $15,000 more. They will never pay for themselves with fuel savings. Especially with diesel costing more. But, some people need to have a diesel. Options are great.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
This was my argument with the Ram 3.0 vs The Hemi. You can buy a Hemi Ram for invoice at bigger dealers as you can F-150's and Silverados. That's like $10k-$11k off. The diesels are gonna go for sticker which will be a few thousand more with the diesel option. You're looking at about $15,000 more. They will never pay for themselves with fuel savings. Especially with diesel costing more. But, some people need to have a diesel. Options are great.
The diesels ‘might’ go for sticker to a few suckers, but just like the diesel VW’s, Ram Ecodiesels, Grand Cherokees....they will be discounted just as much as their counterparts after the hoopla (if it is ever there) dies down. Diesel and all it brings with it isn’t for everyone. The reality is that these things are wanted by maybe 5-10% of the 1/2 ton truck market.

I looked at the Ecodiesel, they had no problem discounting it the same percent as the Hemi powered trucks. This was just before they had to stop selling them over the EPA issue.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
The new 2019 Ram 1500 will be introduced early next week at NAIAS. In the new Wrangler, the VM 3.0 was increased from 240/420 to 260/442. If that output is in the new Ram, it would be a 10 hp advantage over the F-150. The current Ram 1500 is well known (panned) for its low payload and tow ratings, but the redesign is supposed to address that. We'll see in about a week.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KCJackson1
....The current Ram 1500 is well known (panned) for its low payload and tow ratings, but the redesign is supposed to address that. We'll see in about a week.
Yep, but dang, they got the ride just right. It was by far the smoothest ride I came across while test driving all the majors. In the end, I went with Ford....but I’ll still give props where they are deserved.

I hope the diesel does well. I hope they sell faster than bubble gum. If so, then Ford will surely up the power, performance, and displacement as that engine line matures. They always upgrade and update the money makers.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Reading down...

36-gallon tank would be nice, I go down to Mexico a lot and the extra range is greatly appreciated. Right now, gas prices are rising here but it will go back down in two weeks. And you seen the long lines at Costco? Ugh, I'll keep my 36-gallon tank, thank you.

And superchargers will get roughly similar gas mileage as the regular. I drove a C230 then a C230K, both got almost the same gas mileage. I agree, it only runs if you mash the gas pedal in. I love my 5.0 V-8 but I can't imagine putting one in, it's not a sports car.

Diesel in XLT doesn't look likely. It may get 30 mpg but if it's going to be $4,000 more... but then again, if I can't get that in XLT Supercrew 4x4, I can't justify the cost.

It's $3.05 for 20-mpg unleaded and $3.55 for 30-mpg diesel here in California.

According to my Excel, I'd have to drive 117,073 miles to get my $4,000 back for the diesel. That's without factoring in having to buy a higher trim... naw, not worth it.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 AM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggums
Reading down...

36-gallon tank would be nice, I go down to Mexico a lot and the extra range is greatly appreciated. Right now, gas prices are rising here but it will go back down in two weeks. And you seen the long lines at Costco? Ugh, I'll keep my 36-gallon tank, thank you.

And superchargers will get roughly similar gas mileage as the regular. I drove a C230 then a C230K, both got almost the same gas mileage. I agree, it only runs if you mash the gas pedal in. I love my 5.0 V-8 but I can't imagine putting one in, it's not a sports car.

Diesel in XLT doesn't look likely. It may get 30 mpg but if it's going to be $4,000 more... but then again, if I can't get that in XLT Supercrew 4x4, I can't justify the cost.

It's $3.05 for 20-mpg unleaded and $3.55 for 30-mpg diesel here in California.

According to my Excel, I'd have to drive 117,073 miles to get my $4,000 back for the diesel. That's without factoring in having to buy a higher trim... naw, not worth it.

Been that way forever gas vs diesel....even a longer ROI on the $8k + PSD Super Duty (not counting resale, of course)

At least with the Super Duty, the diesel is the strongest motor avaiable.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:40 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Diesel only fleets will want them. Some regular daily drivers will buy them too. Lariat and up for retail buyers seems like Ford is trying to keep these out of the hands of those who will over work them.

This engine has been beta tested in Rovers world wide for quite a few years. It's a somewhat old design (albeit with some upgrades) I have a feeling that if there are enough takers a new and improved small diesel wouldn't be too far off in the future.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 AM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Diesel only fleets will want them. Some regular daily drivers will buy them too. Lariat and up for retail buyers seems like Ford is trying to keep these out of the hands of those who will over work them.

This engine has been beta tested in Rovers world wide for quite a few years. It's a somewhat old design (albeit with some upgrades) I have a feeling that if there are enough takers a new and improved small diesel wouldn't be too far off in the future.

For a few years, the GM 6.2/6 Speed was only available in the highest trim level Denali/Escalade.

Thinking it may be more of a profit thing, at least until supply can catch up with demand.....if there ever is a demand.

At the risk of being redundant, Ford needs to sell a bunch of these to bolster their CAFE.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:54 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Actually, they only need to build them. If they get the CAFE numbers they need and sales aren't there, prices will drop.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:22 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
For the diesel, you only need to recoup the cost of the depreciation of the diesel option, not the entire diesel upgrade cost.

Unfortunately, there's very little data to go on right now when it comes to used diesel half ton prices. Its well known that the HD trucks hold quite a bit of the diesel upgrade premium in the used market, as long as you're looking at a reliable engine (read not the 6.4 or the 6.0 or the 07-12 Cummins 6.7L....EGR only diesels). Used 6.7s, 6.6s all command a significant portion of their option price on the used market.

You don't buy a diesel just for fuel economy, you also buy for power delivery. The real concern is the power delivery can be purchased for 1600 less with the ecoboost. Therefore, about the only reason to buy the F-150 diesel is fuel economy. This will be an interesting vehicle to watch.

I like diesels and will only buy a truck with a diesel engine (pending Ford's 7.xL / 10at Superduty...if it will exist).

Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
For the diesel, you only need to recoup the cost of the depreciation of the diesel option, not the entire diesel upgrade cost.
That's a good point that most of us missed. If the performance is sufficient and the perceived value is there, buy-in cost adder could be moot. The Ram Ecodiesel is the closest competitor, but you can't use their sales data because of the EPA fiasco. I suppose it will be an unknown for the first couple of years, at which point there should be enough sales data to make an informed analysis.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Towing fuel economy will matter a lot as well. From my dad's 14 Ram Ecodiesel, I've seen towing numbers that would almost double 3.5L ecoboost towing fuel economy. If you tow a 7-8k trailer all of the time, there's a chance that this little diesel could double your towing fuel economy.

There's a market for this engine, even when you run the numbers, but its a narrow market. I imagine, like myself and many diesel owners, folks will buy it because they like it/want it. Some will buy it b/c its the cheapest cost per mile, but I don't think that will be the dominate factor. I think this engine had to be a hard sell to the Ford bean counters and I sure hope the engine proves very successful.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I doubt it very much buuut it would be interesting to see if any of these end up in the rental fleets.

Additionally, I'd love to see this engine find it's way into an Expedition.

Quick Reply: 3.0 powerstroke numbers released by Ford