F3 Restoration Has Begun - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F3 Restoration Has Begun

Old 01-06-2018, 01:02 AM
Old51f3
Senior User
Old51f3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
F3 Restoration Has Begun

As Iím Waiting for Parts Iíve Started Taking the Floor Boards Out of the Bed and Iím a little confused about the wood Cross Beams that the Floor boards were bolted down to .can anyone tell me what Cross beams are supposed to be here Iím sure ford
wasnt in the lumber business back in 1951.

After Taking the Floor boards away Iím astonished to see that the frame of the truck is in almost near perfect condition, only holes Iíve encountered in the beutifull body of this old gal was at the bottom where the Floor boards were rotting away and eating away at the metal and Domenic spots that the previous owner
Filled with a couple pounds of buddy filler .

I

Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 AM
fish pond
Senior User
fish pond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fish pond is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking good young man!
I am interested to say the least in the wood you speak of too.
I see that your in the wood working business, so where is your concern?
Type of wood?
I was thinking if/when I get to the bed that the cross member(left to right) pcs may need to be replaced as well as the floor boards, haven't studied those much though.
Also, I see you have a hoist as My M3 does, mine has 2 hyd. cylinders.
Do you plan on leaving your hoist on? I seem to dislike the the miss match at the front of rear fender at the running boards at times, other times I think the hoist is so cool.
Thanks so much for posting as you do, it gives me motivation.
I started at the front of my truck yesterday, wanting to get at the motor.
Thanks Again!
Greg

Old 01-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Old51f3
Senior User
Originally Posted by fish pond View Post
Looking good young man!
I am interested to say the least in the wood you speak of too.
I see that your in the wood working business, so where is your concern?
Type of wood?
I was thinking if/when I get to the bed that the cross member(left to right) pcs may need to be replaced as well as the floor boards, haven't studied those much though.
Also, I see you have a hoist as My M3 does, mine has 2 hyd. cylinders.
Do you plan on leaving your hoist on? I seem to dislike the the miss match at the front of rear fender at the running boards at times, other times I think the hoist is so cool.
Thanks so much for posting as you do, it gives me motivation.
I started at the front of my truck yesterday, wanting to get at the motor.
Thanks Again!
Greg
Hi Greg. Ya Iím all over the place on the truck started on the motor then. I ordered parts. Then I jumped to the breaks and Iím working a company to Manufactor disk break conversion for the back. So now that that is on hold I started on the the bed LOLYaaa so I donít think the wood cross beams belong here that was my question. I would like to replace the cross beams with what ever is supposed to be there or Iíll get some pieces fabricated in steel .Yes Iím in the wood business the floor boards will be a piece of cake .And for the lift I really find it cool to have but I have been going back and forth about keeping them. I have to replace my gas tank I was looking to put in a square tank under the bed so if I do I will have to remove the hoist. But Iím havinf a hard time deciding ...

Old 01-06-2018, 05:51 AM
cowdog86
Senior User
cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowdog86 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The wooden cross beams for the box are origin al equipment. I used fir when I made new ones.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
There is nothing wrong with the factory gas tank as long as it is in good shape and the filler pipe to tank hose is replaced every few decades. I wouldn't remove the hoist simply to move the fuel tank.

Nice truck.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by cowdog86 View Post
The wooden cross beams for the box are origin al equipment. I used fir when I made new ones.
Ford was in teh lumber business. They owned hundreds of acres in northern Michigan where they harvested hardwoods. The bed wood of these trucks was Northern Yellow Pine grown in the Ford Forests. So I imagine that is where your crossmembers came from.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Old51f3
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Ford was in teh lumber business. They owned hundreds of acres in northern Michigan where they harvested hardwoods. The bed wood of these trucks was Northern Yellow Pine grown in the Ford Forests. So I imagine that is where your crossmembers came from.
Wow I learn something new everyday LOL Then the bed was origional. It was all yellow pine in this back of the truck ...

Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Bruce Horkey sells all the bed wood and cross members. He may have the dimensions available on his website. He also has the hardware and bed strips.

I live in dry az Arizona and didn't want to deal with wood so I made steel cross members.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Old51f3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
Bruce Horkey sells all the bed wood and cross members. He may have the dimensions available on his website. He also has the hardware and bed strips.

I live in dry az Arizona and didn't want to deal with wood so I made steel cross members.
I Donít want to use wood cross members either. Iíve been looking online for steel ones. Did you have to make supports for them the origional ones are like 4Ē tall ??

Old 01-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Very true with the wood business...I believe a place called iron mountain Michigan...they used that wood for there woody wagons.....wow that a great looking project to start with....congrats...

Old 01-06-2018, 12:47 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Oh, and my opinion is to keep the hoist.... even if i means not having your runningboards mate up perfectly with the rear fenders! You can really impress the guys at carshows when you lift your bed. And if you want to take stuff to the landfill you can dump it off or haul mulch for your house or the neighbors.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Old51f3
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Oh, and my opinion is to keep the hoist.... even if i means not having your runningboards mate up perfectly with the rear fenders! You can really impress the guys at carshows when you lift your bed. And if you want to take stuff to the landfill you can dump it off or haul mulch for your house or the neighbors.
Abe By the time Iím done with this bed nothing will be hauled in the back of the bed unless itís wrapped in bobble wrap LOL Iíll putting in walnut boards with a nice Mate Finish,it will look like a ballroom floor ☺️

Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 PM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jafo56 View Post
Very true with the wood business...I believe a place called iron mountain Michigan...they used that wood for there woody wagons....
Ford's operations in Michigan's Upper Peninsula were in Kingsford, Michigan - a company town established by Edward Kingsford just outside of Iron Mountain. Mr. Kingsford's wife was a cousin of Henry Ford and he was a local businessman. He arranged the purchase of the timber lands needed for Ford's requirements. Most of the lumber was used in the Model T: floorboards, wheel spokes, and frames.

Later, Kingsford ran the factory that converted the wood waste into charcoal briquettes. Initially marketed under the Ford name, they eventually were rebranded as Kingsford Charcoal. You may have head of them.

After the Model T production ceased, the Ford plant supplied the materials for the various vehicles still using wooden components.

During WWII, gliders were built at the plant - the same gliders used during D-Day and other military operations in Europe. The gliders were staged for transfer to Detroit at Ford Airport in Kingsford. Reportedly, the gliders were air towed via Ford Tri-motor aircraft.

By the way, the Kingsford High School athletes are 'Flivvers'.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
Mine were 2 1/2" tall X 1 1/2" roughly if I remember correctly. I don't know how to give you a link but, if you search my posts you will see what I did.

I can email pics if you PM me your email address.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud ofEffieTrucker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
Mine were 2 1/2" tall X 1 1/2" roughly if I remember correctly. I don't know how to give you a link but, if you search my posts you will see what I did.

I can email pics if you PM me your email address.
Links to Scotty's bed reconstruction:

The foundation: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16295863

The finished bed floor: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16295864

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F3 Restoration Has Begun

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.