2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Center console vs fold down seat-what option is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center console vs fold down seat-what option is this?

I've been looking at '15-17 trucks online, and I've noticed that while many XLT's have the front buckets with center console, some have the split bench front bench with column shifter. What option package was the front buckets part of and what else came in this package?

I actually prefer the front bench and column shifter but wondering what else I might lose out on by getting a truck that has them.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
I've been looking at '15-17 trucks online, and I've noticed that while many XLT's have the front buckets with center console, some have the split bench front bench with column shifter. What option package was the front buckets part of and what else came in this package?

I actually prefer the front bench and column shifter but wondering what else I might lose out on by getting a truck that has them.
You can go to the Ford website and build an XLT and it gives the break down on what you`re asking about because nothing really has changed since 2015.

Example....You can get an XLT, with bucket seats, a center console, and a column shifter. The only thing that you`ll really be loosing or gaining, is a center seat or more storage.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
It's about $300 to get the bucket seats with center console. It's a stand-alone option, so you don't need to add anything else on an XLT to select it. When you order an XLT with the console, you still have the column shifter....which I actually prefer. So, rather than a huge shifter in your center console, you get an extra storage space in that spot (since your shifter will be on the column).

The things that come to mind that you wouldn't have if your get the bench seat are:
-The large storage space in the center console, which to me is easier to use than the space under the bench seat.
-The console is flow-through....so you get AC vents coming out the back of it for your rear seat passengers. That is nice if you put kids or dogs in the back.
-The console has 2 USB ports in another cubby, I'm not sure how they handle that with the bench seat. The console also has 2 USB ports on the rear of it for back seat passengers...plus a power point. Mine household current there too, but I don't know if it's part of the console or Lariat package.

I had an XLT with the bench seat for a week while my truck was in for service. I liked it. It worked great. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the cupholder arrangement and how you had to flip up the armrest to access your underseat storage. I always have a coffee or water with me....so I had to juggle things to open the middle seat cubby.

Frankly, either way, you'll probably be happy. I'd take a test drive of an XLT with the bench seat, to really check it out. Then, do a drive with one that has the center console to compare. You might find that one is more comfortable for resting your arm on while driving. Or, for your specific habits, maybe one will stand out as the clear winner.

If you need seating for 6, the choice is clear....because you can only seat 5 if you have the center console.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With out the console, you still get 2 usb ports and a power port for the back seat, but no AC.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GABAR
You can get an XLT, with bucket seats, a center console, and a column shifter.
Really? I don't think I've seen a single one that had the center console and did not also have the console shifter. I will have to look some more.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Really? I don't think I've seen a single one that had the center console and did not also have the console shifter. I will have to look some more.
I would kill to have that combination. Unfortunately, I got stuck with the shifter in my center console (yeah, I"m the oddball that wants the extra cubby spot and thinks the giant shifter in the console is silly).

If you want to see a picture of it....

Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I just looked on the build & price and saw it as well. I have most definitely not seen that option on a single '15-16 I've looked at used so far. I don't particularly like the console shifter either.

I did see that for whatever reason, you can't get that setup (center console/column shifter) on the XLT Sport so it makes me wonder how limited it is.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:04 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I just looked on the build & price and saw it as well. I have most definitely not seen that option on a single '15-16 I've looked at used so far. I don't particularly like the console shifter either.

I did see that for whatever reason, you can't get that setup (center console/column shifter) on the XLT Sport so it makes me wonder how limited it is.
My '15 XLT has the console w/column shifter and I like it. The XLT Sport package will give you the console w/console shifter. Just another reason I'm not a big fan of any of the Sport packages. I guess Ford thinks because it says Sport on the side you want/need the floor shifter.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That is my biggest pet peeve with these trucks.I don't understand the point of the console shifter. All it does is take up what would otherwise be good storage space. Aside from perhaps a savings in linkage, I see no advantage in the floor shifter in an automatic pickup truck.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Out of curiosity, on vehicles with the column shifter, where do they put the +/- buttons and the T/S/N button?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
Out of curiosity, on vehicles with the column shifter, where do they put the +/- buttons and the T/S/N button?
It's integrated into the column shifter.

Here is a 2015-2017 one that has those functions....

Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Lil' Rob
Freshman User
Mine has the center console with shifter on the column. The one I test drove had the shifter in the console and I didn't like it.

WIth the shifter on the column, you get 2 cup holders on the passenger side and an open space on the drivers side.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:56 AM
pokebowl
New User
I have buckets, console and column shift on my '16.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:33 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Very rare to see or find one on a dealers lot but they`re out there.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:46 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Well, one good thing about the F150 and the shifter location is that we have an option.

I`ve heard many GM and Chevy guys saying they`d really like a console shifter.

Both options on the F150 may be on their last leg because based on the interior of the new Expedition and the dial/**** for shifting, more than likely that`s the future for the F150 as well.

Quick Reply: Center console vs fold down seat-what option is this?