6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Enerburn results

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Traveling Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I have used Opti-Lube Summer Plus since my first fill up over 47,000 miles ago. When I started using AR6200, I continued with OL, but contacted Archoil. They said there was no conflict but not necessary to use OL because AR6200 had lube. I quit OL for a couple of tanks and fuel mileage dropped off. OL is a cetane booster and AR6200 is a combustion catalyst. I resumed OL.
Once I switched to Enerburn, I asked the same question and Jane Gates said there was no conflict but suggested I cut the OL dose in half. I actually use both at the full dose, because Enerburn is also a combustion catalyst, not a cetane booster.
I haven't found anything touting Enerburn as a lubricant so I would continue with the Opti-Lube. I would suggest that if you are using XPD that you either switch to Summer Plus or that you cut your XPD in half as it is expensive compared to Summer Plus. Obviously, Summer + doesn't have anti-gel which you don't need most of the time anyway.
I agree. I emailed Jane as well, she suggested I decrease the amount of XPD by 20%. I have over a gallon of the XPD but I’m thinking the Summer blend is more economical. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 PM
RickBraden
Tuned

I'm a happy camper

I've used the Enerburn for at least 2000 miles with Opti-lube Summer+. Noticed the reduction of soot & have hit the approx 500 mile forced regen.
I have the Edge CTS monitor with g/ml with DEF%soot on screen. I used to hardly ever see a 300 mile regen. This is only towing 10% of the time. It sure does a good job of high milage regens. My numbers used to slowly climb on Edge CTS on freeway not towing. Now it may slowly climb like before and then decreases as more miles accumulate. Many 40 mile trips not towing and the numbers are very close to what I started the trip with. Love it.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:40 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a regen catch me by surprise today because the dash %DPF Full was only at 80%. On the Edge CTS, DPF Load was 42% and Soot GPL was 1.72. My regen lasted 17 miles and took the dash reading down to 45% when it ended. I checked my logs and, sure enough, 520 miles since the last regen started. It appears 500 miles is the only criteria my truck is using now with Energen as long as I get regens that go to completion.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
I am curious about one aspect of the 500 mile limit.

I had a situation where the truck started a Regen (kind of early in miles) and within 5 minutes I had to shut it down. The dash gage had gone down to 70% or so, and Forscan figures showed 80% load and 2.6 gpl or something like that. Got back in, drove another 160 miles. As I did so Forscan dropped slowly to 25% full and 1.6 gpl, but the dash gage continued to climb and at 160 miles started a regen.

This begs several questions: How is the dash gage calculating or measuring? What is Forescan calculating or measuring? Is it 500 miles between regen starts, or regen completions?

As far as I know, the only measurements available to the PCM (and therefore the dash gage and Forescan) are the DPF back pressure and the particle comb sensor. Any other number it comes up with is a calculation from those, or an inference drawn from miles, exhaust temps, fuel used, etc. These calculations have to assume a rate of DPF load buildup, and that rate is distrubed by Enerburn.

Second, I am wondering whether I got the second regen because the first one didn't complete. That is, the first one happened due to the dash gage reaching 100 (but prior to 500 miles), did not get very far, so the second one was kicked off at 500 miles after the last one that actually competed.

I'd really like to have a Ford engineer explain the algorithms used to control regens. I know we can't do anything about controlling them (more's the pity) but it would solve a few mysteries.

Does anyone know what PCM parameter on Forscan represents the particle comb sensor?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am almost certain that the 500 mile regen is from the successful completion of a regen which explains why mine tend to be at 520 or 530 mile intervals as opposed to an even 500 if triggered by a start. While I don't drive to completion if inconvenient, I did add an extra 5 miles on this one to ensure completion. The worst situation is when you have to shut down soon after a regen starts and you have to do that repeatedly because you are just doing milk, bread and egg runs. That is the kind of thing that gets you the "Drive to clean" message.