Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Bronco EFI MAF Harness

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM
obanos
New User
obanos is starting off with a positive reputation.
96 Bronco EFI MAF Harness

Hi Folks...Sorry for such basic questions but I have tried searching many of the excellant threads and can't seem to get a definative answer. I am in the process of putting a 408W Stroker with E4OD in a 66 F100. My plan was to use the ECM from a 96 bronco (or E150) and use a Moates QH to tune it. I have located a salvage yard on Ebay willing to sell the computer and harness(s) from a 96 Bronco if I can tell them what to pick. My dilemma is which harness's do I need to request?
1) Does the engine harness have the 104 pin ECM connector integral or does it seperate with a rectanglaur connector from the ECM main harness?
2) Does the main ECM harness interface to the Transmission sub-harness or is there an intermediate harness
3)Which harness is the MAF connected to?

I have done several of the A9L/A9P swaps in EB and Mustangs and they seperated the engine from the ECM harness via two 10 pin plugs...but i noticed the 96 and up Explorers which are OBDII have the 104 Pin connector as part of the engine harness so not certain if Ford changed their philosphy of interconnect.
Respectfully
Oscar

Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Yes Ford changed the wiring extensively so OBD2 EFI systems are a lot more complicated to transfer to an older vehicle. You need ALL wiring under the hood from the engine to the firewall and the dash cluster and associated wiring, there is an integrated fuse box on some vehicles and the trans and dash wiring is often hard wired straight to the PCM with no connector to separate it which complicates salvage. And then there is the problem with the source for speed input on these trucks which moved to the rear axle from the transmission. Bottom line is this swap is better done with a donor vehicle on hand.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 PM
obanos
New User
Thank you Paul...I was afraid of that. I cant seem to locate a 96 Bronco in a wrecking yard around Dallas to view this first hand....and being in Texas you are likely to get shot if you crawl around someone's truck in a parking lot (LOL). The 96 Explorer harness setup is much cleaner/standalone unit but I don't think you can make an ECM for 4R70W control an E4OD. May be cheaper to try to find a junker E150 since Broncos are higher value or build a 4R70W and forget about the E4OD.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
What about using the OBD1 MAF setup from a '94 or '95 F150/Bronco? Any particular reason you are not considering them? These should be easier to find to.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 PM
obanos
New User
I thought ECCIV for a 351W with MAF and E4OD was more rare than the EECV versions. Wasnt this combo only in the Lightning and a few years of California Broncos? All 96 Broncos and E150 vans with 351Ws should be MAF and E4OD. Probably cheaper to find a junker E150 than a Bronco...or go back with Mustang A9P and run a US Shift box for the E4OD. I just like the idea of being able to flash the EECV directly and have it control the trany as well. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Yes the OBD2 system has some advantages althoughthe '96 version isn't fully OBD2 compliant and I believe it's not directly flashable like later versions.. still have to use a Moates or Quarterhorse device. And yes an OBD1 5.8/E4OD combo would be harder to find but you don't need that exact combo, any V8/E4OD MAF PCM would do including a 5.0 or 7.5 version since you're gonna tune it anyway.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
ya a 93-95 5.0 maf/e40d harness and computer should work.