Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Frozen coolant... How to proceed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frozen coolant... How to proceed?

First, let me state, I did NOT try to start it. I was fortunate enough to be checking the oil level before starting the truck, and noticed it then.

But, as it stands, I noticed the coolant in the Degas bottle was frozen, and so I tried to squeeze the upper coolant line, it to was frozen. After that I plugged in the block heater, and started trying to find another ride to work.

Here near Charlotte NC, we are suddenly seeing winter weather like never before (at least that I remember in my last 24 years). And this whole week we have lows of 10-15° (stop laughing you northener punks, we know that's like a summer stroll to ya'll).

​​​​​​I don't know what kind of coolant was in this truck when I bought it, but obviously it didn't have enough antifreeze in it. A coolant change has been on my list, and the bottles of coolant are actually sitting in my shop. Guess I'm doing that this weekend.

​​​​​​I'm hoping tomorrow afternoon, when I'm of work and woken up, yhe block heater will have it thawed back out. If it does, what I do start checking first?

Is there anything that is likely to have busted be cause of the freezing? Should I make sure all ice in the Degas bottle is totally thawed before trying to start? Or will 20 hrs or so of the block heater be enough even if it doesn't circulate to the Degas?

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping I avoided any serious damage by not trying to start it, but if there is anything broken now, I want to know about it asap.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
I would flush the old coolant, and replace with new.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
I would flush the old coolant, and replace with new.
That probably gonna be happening this weekend. I got the coolant to do a flush a couple weeks ago, just hadn't got around to it. I'm just worried that something may have frozen and busted. Trying to make sure I check anything that may have been damaged.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES SO NO ONE ACCIDENTALLY TRIES TO START IT!

Do you have a HEATED shop you can tow it too?

I would start with disconnecting the Degas bottle, thawing it out and taking a sample of the coolant then testing that sample with a coolant tester. This will give you an idea of how much protection you have/had. And also give you an idea of how solid everything might've froze.
Plugging it in was a good idea along with not starting it. . I would use a HD heater pointed at the radiator to further thaw things out. Since the cold is not leaving any time soon you're in a pickle, You can't change the coolant until its thawed! And it needs to be COMPLETELY THAWED before flushing and changing it.
I would watch for leaks as it thaws, indicating potential damage.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow, that is unfortunate.
If you are lucky, the coolant in the block didn't freeze and your block is okay. Can you use a space heater or something to thaw the coolant in the radiator and degas tank? If the radiator and/or degas tanks have ruptured then thawing the coolant would alert you to the leak and you can source replacement parts now.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I don't know this for certain, but I think there are freeze plugs on the 7.3 and if you were able to get your heater plugged in and you don't leaks yet, then your engine should be OK. The radiator and associated hardware though might be a different story.

Now, if I am wrong and there are no freeze plugs on the 7.3, then all bets are off and I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted though.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Oldanvilyoungsmith
Senior User
Alright...

No heated shop for me, let alone a covered building to put it in...

I'm at work tonight, but when I get home in the morning, I'll be trying to get a couple space heaters pointed at the Degas/radiator and see if I can get it thawed completely by the afternoon when I wake up.

So check for leaks, check the freeze plugs (where are they?). Etc.

I'm hoping that it may not have done much damage if any, the ice did not look or feel like a solid sheet of ice, like what's in the horse tubs, but more like a flaky ice. Several steps past a slush, but still not totally solid.

Fingers crossed it didn't freeze bad enough to damage anything. I wish I'd though to put a space heater on it before getting into work, but it didn't occur to me. Hopefully the block heater will help keep anything from freezing to much worse.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug it in great idea.
Get it to a shop or any enclosed space..
Without knowing for sure I'd say your motor is just fine,. It takes a super solid freeze to damage the block..
How hard were those hoses ?

BTW - We have had about 2 weeks of -9F highs..
I don't remember anything like it..
I have plugged the EX in every night.. Its way happier when I do so.

Kyle

Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
If there are freeze plugs they should be down each side of the block under the heads. They'll be dome or cup shaped plugs sunk into holes in the block, they can use some sort of sealant on them during installation. I'm thinking about 1 1/2" in diameter.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the motor should be fine it takes a lot of cold to freeze and crack the block. Plugging it in obviously helped. Hopefully you can get it somewhere to thaw the components out to do the flush.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
This makes me want to take a peak at my degas bottle ASAP lol. We've had crazy cold temps (for southern virginia) these past few weeks. Wish you the best of luck man.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
If there are freeze plugs they should be down each side of the block under the heads. They'll be dome or cup shaped plugs sunk into holes in the block, they can use some sort of sealant on them during installation. I'm thinking about 1 1/2" in diameter.
If memory serves there are 8 of them. 4 on each side of the block. Roughly midway between the oil pan and head.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
While sometimes you'll hear people call them "Freeze plugs" that is not their name or purpose and they don't have anything to do with this.

They are core plugs for when the block was cast. Sometimes they will pop when the engine coolant has frozen but that doesn't mean anything, this doesn't protect the block in any way or anything like that.

Sometimes can get lucky and no damage when coolant freezes but that's not the way to bet. I'm sorry to hear about this and don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it's important people understand what's what.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldanvilyoungsmith
Alright...

No heated shop for me, let alone a covered building to put it in...

I'm at work tonight, but when I get home in the morning, I'll be trying to get a couple space heaters pointed at the Degas/radiator and see if I can get it thawed completely by the afternoon when I wake up.

So check for leaks, check the freeze plugs (where are they?). Etc.

I'm hoping that it may not have done much damage if any, the ice did not look or feel like a solid sheet of ice, like what's in the horse tubs, but more like a flaky ice. Several steps past a slush, but still not totally solid.

Fingers crossed it didn't freeze bad enough to damage anything. I wish I'd though to put a space heater on it before getting into work, but it didn't occur to me. Hopefully the block heater will help keep anything from freezing to much worse.
You could call a shop and ask if it's possible to have it towed in to thaw?
In the meantime, Put some moving blankets over the engine (hood) and a heat lamp (carefully) positioned under the hood. As I said earlier, take a sample of coolant once it's thawed and test it, this will give you an idea of the severity of the freeze and give you some assurance things will be alright. Antifreeze will melt ice, remove the top hose off the thermostat housing, remove the thermostat and pour straight antifreeze into the water pump, this will help melt and Protect your truck as it slowly works it way through the engine...yes even without it running, although not with the same efficiency obviously. Hope this helps!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Also keep in mind that pure coolant (at least the green stuff) will freeze at around +20° F though when mixed 50/50 with water it's good to -34° F below zero. It needs some water mixed in to depress the freeze point.

I agree find some place to tow it to that it can thaw out.

Quick Reply: Frozen coolant... How to proceed?