Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead 351m to possible 5.4l Triton swap questions 78 bronco

Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 AM
parker_shelton
Junior User
parker_shelton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dead 351m to possible 5.4l Triton swap questions 78 bronco

Alright well I had my motor running the way I wanted finally and a lose belt cut my radiator hose and blew the motor. Its my daily driver and I need it on the road now. I have a 97 or 98 expedition sitting in my driveway that won't pass inspection for a number of reasons but the motor runs pretty well and way better than the one that just blew. I'm low on cash and I've gotta figure out how to get the 5.4 in the bronco. I figure it can't be the worst thing in the world seeing as how I have a whole donor but I need to know what the motor and trans need to run. Please help

Old 01-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by parker_shelton View Post
I need to know what the motor and trans need to run.
Pretty much everything that isn't sheetmetal unfortunately since the dash cluster and various safety and anti-theft systems are linked to the Powertrain control system. Yes this project is doable with a donor vehicle on hand but it's not going to be a quick weekend project.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 AM
parker_shelton
Junior User
And I'm assuming there's no way to bypass that stuff

Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM
parker_shelton
Junior User
Why isn't it just like the plug and play aftermarket kits

Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 PM
RalphXL
Senior User
RalphXL is starting off with a positive reputation.
An aftermarket EFI kit would do away with the security stuff. You would need to make sure that whatever you get will be able to control the transmission too.

Jess

Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Yeah that is the problem with aftermarket EFI sytems, beside the rather steep cost for what you get they have no provision for transmission control so you have to buy something else or reuse the stock PCM. A tuner should be able to eliminate features of the stock system that you don't want but again there is more money you have to spend.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:39 AM
diymirage
Freshman User
diymirage is starting off with a positive reputation.
what about getting rid of the efi all together?
get yourself a 4 barrel intake manifold and run a carb on it
i dont know if you can go back to a distributor but that would be the next hurdle
and then see if a manual valve body (or its mechanical equivalent) is an option

not sure if any of it is possible, but it sure seems like a hassle

Old 01-04-2018, 08:16 PM
fe390pc
Posting Guru
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
That 5.4 is a very wide engine too. You would be better off trading the Expedition for a 351 or 400 that would be a bolt in option. I think the fab work needed for the 5.4 swap is doable, but I would bet you are down no less than two months and 5 grand in cash before it runs.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by diymirage View Post
what about getting rid of the efi all together?
get yourself a 4 barrel intake manifold and run a carb on it
i dont know if you can go back to a distributor but that would be the next hurdle
and then see if a manual valve body (or its mechanical equivalent) is an option
Most of that is not possible, these modular motors were never equipped with a distrubutor so there is no where to add one, and I'm not aware of any carb intakes for them either.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Freshman User
One eyed Jumpin Jack is starting off with a positive reputation.
This whole swap thing is a bad idea. I'm not a fan of the 5.4 to start with (especially an early one) and would never consider it an upgrade in a Bronco. Depending on the year of the Bronco, it would be much much more involved than you think. And all for a smaller displacement, less desirable replacement IMO.

What do you mean by blew the engine? If it's just a cracked head, you can probably take care of that pretty easily. If you locked it up, consider it a lesson to be more obsevant in the future. Did you not smell the coolant while you were driving? I would have pulled over immediately.. Just last week the thermostat housing let go in my wifes Mountaineer. She was at least observant enough to shut it down before "blowing" it up. She got to drive my Bronco for a few days and was a little sad when I got her car running again.

If you KNOW your block is ruined, the cheapest and best way forward would be a junk yard 351 or better yet a 400 motor from a Lincoln or F series. A direct bolt in would be the way to go and down the road the aftermarket efi would be a possibility and you wouldn't have to worry about any tranny computers. Right now it sounds like you just want it to start and get you to work. You sound young, not an insult by the way. Just an observation. I kinda doubt you've attempted a project so involved as the restomod you're dreaming of, otherwise you'd be a bit more hesitant with the idea.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 PM
fe390pc
Posting Guru
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
So lets get more info on the "Blown Motor"? What is blown about it? Did a rod come out the side of the block, did it overheat, did it seize what is it doing now? You may be able to fix what you have for much less than the swap you are asking about.