Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

No Bueno IDIs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NotSoNicely
in your opinion what makes the 6.9 better than a 7.3?

When I swapped my 7.3 for the 6.9, I just kept the 7.3 wiring harness and GP's. Aside from a slight power reduction and slightly higher boost (ironic, huh?), there wasn't much difference.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM
NotSoNicely
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Is there a aftermarket lift or level kit you'd recommend? Something to make it drive straighter down the road, and something to make parts more readily available.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:41 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegetable0
I always assumed the "limiting factor" on an IDI would be air flow. I am never going to replicate the airflow I would have if I had 4 valves per cylinder or stronger head bolts... Mine is 6.9. That said, I would assume that a 6.9 with turbo could still generally build most of it's torque down low, as the head design would limit getting a full clean air charge into the cylinder? Maybe a Cam could fix this with a bit of overlap, but at most I only want 300 horse, that seems plenty to pull anything I should pull. There is no replacement for displacement after all. Big Engine means more down low
That might be the theory, except that the intake tract on an IDI is really pretty good - remember, it's designed to get the most out of a N/A situation, no boost at all. That's why you have these nicely sculpted intake runners, vs the 7.3 PSD just has these flat channels.

What you /really/ get is a case where the turbo sizing factors in to the equasion; with factory turbos or Banks Sidewinder(and actually the same with my S360), you just plain can't make as much boost at 1200 as you can at 1600 which is still less than 2k. Simply because the more air flowing through the engine increases the turbine speed, which increases the boost. Yes, added fuel does help, but you simply aren't going to be making 10 psi of boost at 1200 RPM. 10 psi at 2200 RPM, however, is easy... which is why you end up with this curve where the higher the RPMs are, the more boost, the more fuel burned and the more torque made...
However, counter to this is that as the IP spins faster, it has a harder time providing enough fuel. This is why you tend to hit a "crossover" point around 2800 RPM where IP fueling drops while boost could increase, and you hit your peak HP and torque.

With a 6.9, or something where you artificially limit fuel(to avoid blowing gaskets), you'll find that the torque curve ends up a lot flatter and downward-trending... not because of the engine, but because that's simply the best the IP can push under those conditions.

This is why you'll see a different curve with a stock IP vs a 110cc, because you have limits of fueling instead of air.

I honestly don't think the valves/intake cylinder filling is going to be the limiting factor for any IDI - it's either going to be air supply(boost) or fuel.
(note: be aware that N/A connecting rods turn to taffy at around 450RWHP(probably 600 at the crank)... and yes, it's been done. With head studs, that's still fine, though, even at 45 PSI of boost.)

Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
the misinformation flying around in this thread has my head spinning.

How much do you guys pay to have heads re done on an idi? Thinking of doing my 6.9 before the turbo goes on, valve seals are in serious need of some help.
Two things here:
1. If the valve guides need to be redone, do it. If the guides are tight, just get rid of the seals. With a turbo, you don't /need/ any valve seals, and actually want as much lubrication as you can get. The reason is that you will have positive pressure in both the exhaust and intake manifolds, so instead of trying to suck oil through the guides, it will try to push air(exhaust or boost) /up/ the valve stem instead.
I've done it with no apparent oil usage or smoke.

2. If you replace the valves or have any machine work done, CHECK THE VALVE RECESSION. This is the distance from the bottom of the valve to the deck of the head with the valve closed. It must be in spec(too much is OK, too little... you'll destroy your new heads in short order).

Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
Thabk you for the tech! Good points

Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NotSoNicely
6.0 for days. Easily go 500k+ without a issue ((:
A 6.uh-oh going 500 kilometers before failing? That's hard to swallow.

If anyone ever gives me a 6.0 powered truck I'm swapping in a slant-6.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:24 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
I think if you studded it with arp 2000's, welded the heads to block then p-pump it, it would be good

Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
A 6.uh-oh going 500 kilometers before failing? That's hard to swallow.
That's about 300 miles....

If anyone ever gives me a 6.0 powered truck I'm swapping in a slant-6.
We actually had a slant-6 in a truck. '76 D100 shortbed 3-on-the-tree. We parked it when the diff acted up, and bought an '83 F150. Thing sat in the driveway for about 10 years, and cranked on a fresh battery. I'm sure with fresh gas, it would've fired.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i always like these guys that come here to the idi forum and start bashing our engines. especially the cummings guys with their 5000hp 20,000torque engines that get 300mpg.
our newest engine was made 24 years ago.
and most of us still run them in pretty much stock form, or only slightly modified.
we do not need 1000 hp , or 1000 ftlbs torque.
we are quite happy with our slow and reliable old girls.

i have seen so many cummings boyz brag how their gold plated turds are the best thing since sliced bread. and how my pos 88 F-superduty with 495,000 miles on it is not worth driving or owning. even though i am still running my 88 and they are on their 8th or more cummings turd because they blew every one of them up. and my engine has never been opened up. only things done to it were routine maintenance.

i would not hesitate to take my 88 cross country.
actually, i would trust the 88 for a cross country trip before i would trust any of my computerized engine trucks.
Not to mention our stuff's all paid for. Every mile we put on them we're money ahead. I'd be more than disgusted in making payments on a $60k dollar truck and having to make a $10k repair while paying it off.
Not a chance in Hell.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by madpogue
That's about 300 miles....
Exactly, that's why I think he's exaggerating...

We actually had a slant-6 in a truck. '76 D100 shortbed 3-on-the-tree. We parked it when the diff acted up, and bought an '83 F150. Thing sat in the driveway for about 10 years, and cranked on a fresh battery. I'm sure with fresh gas, it would've fired.
I plan on getting one someday. Always have had great luck with the slant; had (have) them in cars and vans, but not a truck yet.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
That's (not even) one tankful.....

Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by madpogue
That's (not even) one tankful.....
And one gallon if it was a Cummins.....

Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts

I plan on getting one someday. Always have had great luck with the slant; had (have) them in cars and vans, but not a truck yet.
my 66 W300 had 645,000 miles on the slant six when it lost compression,
i swapped a 64 273 into it and ran it another 4 years and 184,000 miles before the cab fell off the frame.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:42 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Then my mom isn't the only person in history to have killed a 225. She tried to drive her '74 Duster from Detroit to Ann Arbor with NO oil. Got just about to the Washtenaw County line when a rod put a hole in the block the size of your fist.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
my little sister had a 63 valiant with the slanty that lost the oil pump. she drove it for 3 weeks with no oil pressure before trading it in on a new torino.
ford dealer gave her $500 on trade in for it. she only paid $250 for it 2 years earlier

Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not me, man. I'm getting an '86 this weekend which will become my son's first truck in three years. I'm going to spend the next three years fixing it up for him. I love IDIs.

Quick Reply: No Bueno IDIs