Sponsored by:

New (to me) Bronco issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 PM
LLBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) Bronco issues

95 5.8 auto trans 119,000 miles. Was part of the New Jersey fire department. Supposedly was a 9/11 responder, fun fact-ish.

So I just just bought my first bronco a few days ago. I bought from the guy who bought it from the New Jersey fire department. I'll list off everything he put into it (receipts for all work done)
-JBA stainless shorties
-upper & lower ball joints
-u joints
-tie rod ends
-shocks, front and back
-cap, rotor, plugs n wires
-rebuilt tranny
-egr
-ignition coil
​​​-oil pan, filter mount
-plenum, valve & head gaskets

All I can remember right now without the receipts in front of me.
So, ive got a few issues.
First- cold start, no CEL, runs great with minor surging. Maybe 100-150 rpms. Let it warm up... Same. Put it in gear and push the throttle, CEL light pops on and it idles just a little off, tiny hicup. Try to go down the road and it feels like I'm driving slow down a rumble strip until I let up(all motor, suspension, drive line and tired are almost flawless). The higher the rpm the smoother the acceleration. CEL light stays on until the engine is shut off. Power seems adequate, probably not full potential. PO said it did not start running slightly off until after the new headers were installed.
Second- 4x4. Push button. Both high and low range lights come on along with the indicators on the dash. You can hear and feel the transfer case engaging. The hubs won't lock.
Third- there's a box, which I assume is the cruise actuator, on the drivers side fender wall a couple inches from the firewall. The cruise line runs into it (cruise does not function and abs light is on). The connector is shorted out on the 2 pins closest to the front end of the truck. PO left it unplugged. PO also says this caused the oil pressure gauge to work intermittently (weird).
Compression test and fuel pressure test were good.
I haven't had very much time to delve into investigating yet. Can't wait.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would look at the exhaust to make sure the o2 sensor got reinstalled after the headers. Make sure the plug wires havent melted as well.

as for your 4wd, it sounds like your front auto hubs are shot. you can either rebuild or swap over to manual hubs which would be more reliable.

as for the cruise i would check the fuse and if necessary pull the cruise hardware off of a similar year bronco.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
LL Bronco , welcome to Fte ., Your truck has a computer and you can pull the codes it is throwing , no code reader ,go to auto zone/advance and borrow one or let them help you read your codes. From experience I can say the bronco has sensors that can cause. problems .My 92 has headers and that' should not be no problem . Recently I had an idle problem and the truck felt like the transmission was slipping while in gear, taking off slow,Changed the throttle position sensor (potentiometer) and back to normal.Rumble strip sound like a spark issue(plug wires -spark plugs).Any how ,pull your codes to start ,work on one problem at a time. Using the search button here is also a good idea , And we are here to help also .Good luck TR