def in fuel - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

def in fuel

Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Ted62
New User
Ted62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Insurance covered $10k repair-seen it many times they say.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 PM
strokenboost
Freshman User
strokenboost is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just switched to esurance from Geico a few days ago to get a better rate. I called them today and asked "If the fuel system on my diesel truck were to become contaminated, it costs around $10,000 to repair, would this be covered under my comprehensive coverage" and they said yes... it would be treated just like vandalism.

SO.... what I would do is perhaps take it to Ford first get it in writing from them that the fuel system is indeed "contaminated" and let them know you will be having an insurance adjuster contact them to arrange a claim.

I had a very similar situation happen on a Ford Expedition a couple years ago. The truck was sitting outside during a thunderstorm and we had a very close lightning strike, after the storm passed the car wouldn't start, long story short... all sorts of electrical problems and fried modules. I'd figure out 1 thing and find another 3 more dead... codes galore... anyway I brought it to the dealer and told them what happened.... they told me it would be about 4000.00 to fix it. I called Geico, told them what happened.... they verified the damage with the dealer, adjuster spoke with the mechanic and he agreed that this could only have happened via some sort of electrical damage from lightning... so the claim processed without any hiccups.

So just make sure you have good relationship with your dealer they are your friend in this case, of course its in their best interest financially to convince the insurance company that it was contamination rather than a mechanical failure not covered by a warranty. text book definition of conflict of interest, but if the adjuster is willing to take their word for it... then so be it. Most adjusters would rather get it over with and move on.

Bottom line... even if your paid off... carry comprehensive and verify that the comp coverage will cover this type of situation.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:29 AM
94ruck
Senior User
94ruck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 73 year old dad, who goes 100 mph on everything he does, got ready for a big trip pulling a trailer and thought he needed to top off his def. put it right in the fuel tank. 8 grand at his dealer. (He is a former ford employee). He laughed it off as getting old but the truth is he is just too busy to take time to do things right. Hope I am as busy and energetic at 73...

Old 01-12-2018, 06:43 AM
capt caper
Elder User
capt caper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with draining,etc. With that said I did the same as the OP 2 times. I took the chance and poured a gallon and half of Power Service Diesel Kleen to a 1/4 full tank and drained the fuel filter right away and every 5 miles. That was at 30k mile mark. Then I did it again at the 55K mile mark. This time I was in a Walmart lot. I put the gallon in and 911..drained every few miles via the water drain on the lower filter. Kept using PS often not always until I traded it at 130k miles.. still running strong.