Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Need Advice About V10 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:37 PM
bhicks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice About V10 Excursion

I'm totally new to the Excursion crowd. Been a Toyota guy all my life but I need something bigger with kid for coming and a new trailer. I need space and towing power that the largest Toyota (Sequoia) can't offer. My 80 series landcruiser takes care of my trail needs so I just need towing power and space and the Excursion seems like the perfect fit. I found a local 2001 4WD V10 (can't afford the 7.3). It has 143,000 and seems super clean from the pics. Two tone light blue/gray with leather interior and rear DVD. Two owners with lots of dealer maintenance on the clean CarFax. I'm going to go look at it some time in the next day or two. What common issues should I be looking for. It currently has a 4" lift on 35's. Looks like a low end lift made with leaf spring blocks and longer shocks. Nothing fancy. What drivetrain and suspension things should I look for on a 4" lifted rig. Factory recalls I should be looking for to see if they were fixed?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
There aren't too many issues to be looking for on a V10 as they're mainly trouble free beasts.

However, a few things to look for:

-Listen to the engine cold. Does it idle smoothly or does it seem to misfire some before coming to itself?

-Check the exhaust manifold studs make sure none of them are broken or missing. This is a lengthy repair that costs some money and time to do.

As far as the suspension, no blocks up front....period

A popular spring mod is the X and C code springs from Junior at ATS. I ended up with something similar to that and can run 35s, but I don't want to have to regear so I rock 285s.

I'll move this to the V10 forum for you and adjust the title.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 PM
DeltaV
Junior User
V10 is a beast, I came over to a v10 excursion from a 5.7l powered Tundra(same as The Sequia you mention) The tundra seemed to have more power than the v10 but that is because I would ring it out going up the mountains with our travel trailer and it would sound awesome. The v10 just chugs along because of all.the low end torque with the occasional down shift. I went from an 09 tundra with 85k miles on it to an 02 Limited excursion v10 with 175k miles on it and have no remorse about the switch. You will love it.

check maintenance records and change the plugs if they haven't been done. Search here for proper torque specs. Replace plug boots while you are at it. Change all fluids if no proof they have been changed, as was said, manifold studs are known to break. I found mine to be broken before I bought it. If you are even remotely mechanically inclined you can change the studs yourself. Took me 10 hours and 36 bucks worth of parts, I got the seller to cut the asking price in half because of that. Ball joints and tie rod ends are known to go bad, easy to tell on a test drive. Check for rust. Engine is rock solid. I would not hesitate to buy with the mileage you are looking at. There was a recall for the cruise control brake switch on the master cylinder. You can look up the Vin and see if it was fixed here.... https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

good luck with your purchase, don't settle, there are plenty out there worth buying.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
bhicks
New User
Originally Posted by DeltaV
V10 is a beast, I came over to a v10 excursion from a 5.7l powered Tundra(same as The Sequia you mention) The tundra seemed to have more power than the v10 but that is because I would ring it out going up the mountains with our travel trailer and it would sound awesome. The v10 just chugs along because of all.the low end torque with the occasional down shift. I went from an 09 tundra with 85k miles on it to an 02 Limited excursion v10 with 175k miles on it and have no remorse about the switch. You will love it.

check maintenance records and change the plugs if they haven't been done. Search here for proper torque specs. Replace plug boots while you are at it. Change all fluids if no proof they have been changed, as was said, manifold studs are known to break. I found mine to be broken before I bought it. If you are even remotely mechanically inclined you can change the studs yourself. Took me 10 hours and 36 bucks worth of parts, I got the seller to cut the asking price in half because of that. Ball joints and tie rod ends are known to go bad, easy to tell on a test drive. Check for rust. Engine is rock solid. I would not hesitate to buy with the mileage you are looking at. There was a recall for the cruise control brake switch on the master cylinder. You can look up the Vin and see if it was fixed here.... https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html

good luck with your purchase, don't settle, there are plenty out there worth buying.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to meet the seller today as planned. We both got tied up with stuff. I had to reschedule for Sunday afternoon since that was the next time we were both free to meet up. Hopefully it wont be sold by then.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM
bhicks
New User
Originally Posted by DeltaV

check maintenance records and change the plugs if they haven't been done. Search here for proper torque specs. Replace plug boots while you are at it. Change all fluids if no proof they have been changed, as was said, manifold studs are known to break. I found mine to be broken before I bought it. If you are even remotely mechanically inclined you can change the studs yourself. Took me 10 hours and 36 bucks worth of parts, I got the seller to cut the asking price in half because of that. Ball joints and tie rod ends are known to go bad, easy to tell on a test drive. Check for rust. Engine is rock solid. I would not hesitate to buy with the mileage you are looking at. There was a recall for the cruise control brake switch on the master cylinder. You can look up the Vin and see if it was fixed here.... https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...e/recalls.html

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
There aren't too many issues to be looking for on a V10 as they're mainly trouble free beasts.

However, a few things to look for:

-Listen to the engine cold. Does it idle smoothly or does it seem to misfire some before coming to itself?

-Check the exhaust manifold studs make sure none of them are broken or missing. This is a lengthy repair that costs some money and time to do.

As far as the suspension, no blocks up front....period

A popular spring mod is the X and C code springs from Junior at ATS. I ended up with something similar to that and can run 35s, but I don't want to have to regear so I rock 285s.

I'll move this to the V10 forum for you and adjust the title.
Thanks for the tips.