Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Turbo noise?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Becky Borders
New User
Becky Borders is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo noise?

Hi, I am new to this site, I am hoping to find answers....
I have a 2008 ford f350, 6.4. I just got my truck back from the shop. I had the motor refurbished and installed ( this came at a hefty price of almost $15,000). The mechanic told us that there were bolts missing from the turbo when it was taken apart( he did put in new bolts). I took it home, about 100 miles away. The truck whistles when accelerating. The wrench light has come on and it has started smoking ( this is not the cleaning cycle). I have climbed under the truck to find oil leaking. I have not found where it is leaking from.
I called the shop and they want to make an appointment to put new seals in my turbos. (Which means more money). Before the motor blew the truck was not whistling, no issues what so ever(besides the knock). Does this sound like a turbo problem? (My old turbos were used). If so, is it safe to still drive my truck?
Can a new motor blow out my turbo? Can the oil leaking be from the turbo?
Just a bit frustrated after putting all this money into it and a bit nervous of being taken advantage of.
I have taken videos of the noise as well as the leaks I have found under the truck. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I would post up the videos so we have somewhere to start.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not good - the mechanic had the motor right apart for refurb, looked at the turbos close enough to realize they had issues, convinced you that they had the issues resolved, before you even get home the whole thing is coming apart.!

Oil could be leaking from the turbos, but not necessarily. You might have two separate issues. How much oil? just enough to drip or more like a steady stream?

The whistle may be the turbo piping is not fastened tight enough, or has come apart. While driving did you notice if the turbo gauge was showing any reading?

What I really don't like about your story is that the mechanic hasn't seen the truck since it left their shop and over the phone they have already asked you to rebook it for a fairly pricy repair that they can't prove it needs.... or do they know something that they aren't telling???? See where I am coming from?

Have a look at any paperwork that you have, paperwork, receipts, scope of work, guarantee, see what you have to work with. Secondly have the truck looked at by another shop, tell them that all you want is confirmation of all the issues it has, and you need it in writing. Explain your story to them so they understand what they are looking at and why. Once you have these items lined up you will be able to decide the best course of action. i.e. request enough $ back from shop 1 to have shop 2 complete needed repairs, request all $ back from shop 1, etc. But you must have a confirmed diagnosis from a reputable shop first.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A whistle could be anything along the lines of......

Intake not installed correctly or tight on the turbo inlet....

CAC boots not installed correctly or tight enough, there are 4 of them, 2 on hot side and 2 on cold side....

Exhaust manifold/gaskets, bolts not installed correctly or tight or have broken..

As far as oil leaking, without pics we can only guess and not very accurately..

Bad turbo seals can cause oil to leak into exhaust and produce smoke

Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Becky Borders
New User
I am working on downloading the video. Its a big file. I hope it will help. Please excuse the language. I have been a bit hot headed over this. I have attached the link for the noise the turbo is making. The oil leak video will be on its way. Thank you for all the help and input.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Becky Borders
New User
The Turbo gauge has only hit the first bar, while driving. I hear it screaming and it makes me a bit nervous to hit the gas to hard, as it becomes louder and very high pitched.
I am not familiar with diesel motors, I know my way around a gas engine.
Not sure if this normal for this truck. I am learning my way around a diesel. I don't want to jump to conclusions on this. I am not sure if this is something that may have happened due to no fault of the shop, or if the shop may be responsible. I am trying to find my next course of action. This is my video of the oil leaks after I brought it home from the shop (New/Refurbished motor)

Sorry the videos are not the best of quality.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maybe I was too suspicious of the shop that did the work, maybe not. Definitely first try to justify what they have done, perhaps they did nothing wrong.

A few more questions, is the air intake oem? Have you opened the air filter box to confirm that the air filter is even there? Perhaps it is missing? If the air filter is there then check all of the intercooler boots, as described by sxrfun.

Any oil on the frame or other non engine parts may be from the previous motor. Quite likely that the shop didn't take the time to do any special clean to the frame. The engine definitely has a leak at the front. The oil that you show at 1:40 in the video is also not supposed to be there. That is from the turbo seal in my opinion. If the turbo seal has gone you will get the smoke in the exhaust, lack of lubrication to the turbo and probably why the noise.

You haven't said exactly what kind of issue your previous engine had, if the oil pump was weak in the last engine and the turbos are tired and the new engine has a new oil pump with better pressure then it could have caused the turbos to let the seals go.

Have the shop quote to do the turbo seals, also have a quote to put new turbos in. Use your own judgement whether you think you need to get a second quote or go elsewhere to do the work.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:13 PM
Becky Borders
New User
The bottom end of the block went out.My previous engine (which is still in the truck, they remanufactured my block) had bent valves, it had a very loud knock. I was told that the drive train went out. It still drove at that time but sounded like someone was taking a hammer to it. It was towed to the shop. I have the same oil pump.
The long block was replaced as well as the water pump, a o-ring kit was installed, 2 serpentine belts and 4 new injectors. The air take is oem. The truck is stock except a leveling kit that was installed.
It makes me sick to have to put more money into after this blow.(and my Philosophy is if it wasn't broke when it went in, it shouldn't be broke when it goes out) Trying to keep a level head. I know stuff happens.
Not knowing more about diesel motors I question everything. I will look into the CAC boots. I am not sure where they are or what to look for. I will try to google it.
At this point is the truck safe to drive the way it is? If I were to drive it can it cause more problems?
Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:35 PM
73F700
Senior User
Based on what I have seen it is not wise to run it anymore until you figure out the issue.
If the truck is stock that means you still have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) in the exhaust.
It is possible that the DPF is plugged with oil, etc from when the motor went bad the first time.
If it is it will cause high backpressure which will cause a turbo seal to blow.
Assuming that your seal is now blown any time you run the truck you are throwing more oil at the CAT and DPF making everything worse. Your oil level will also fall very quickly - If you check the dipstick it will be down quite a bit.
The whistle you hear may be from the exhaust side of the turbos. We have been looking at the air intake side however if the DPF is plugged and the backpressure far too high the exhaust may be whistling out somewhere causing the noise. Is there much air coming out the tailpipe at all?

Did the truck seem pretty sluggish when you started to drive it? (before all the bad symptoms began) or was the whistling there from the very beginning.

Probably best to have it towed to someone to check. Unfortunately these motors are very complicated, expensive and indiscriminate about who they choose to bring fate to. I feel your pain.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Becky Borders
New User
The truck was whistling from the day I picked it up.( there was hopes that the turbos would seal after it warmed up) I can't tell you if it was sluggish at all, due to the fact it was snowing & Icy the day I picked it up. It was a slow long drive.(I should have turned around right then and took it back) I have only driven it 3 times after picking it up.
I would say the air coming out of the tailpipe is at a normal range. I haven't lost any oil. I checked that today.
The warranty only covers a tow up to $75. This frustrates me more. I understand what your saying. I just don't want to hear it. Its starting to sound like I my need to pull out another loan on this, no turning back now.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM
73F700
Senior User
Funny that the oil level isn't down. Very difficult to say what is happening from here - maybe it is not as bad as we think.

Too bad that the shop you are using is that far from you. Maybe you know someone in your area who could have a look at the truck in person and say if they think you can drive it back to the shop or not.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Becky Borders
New User
Thank you 73F700. I have my fingers crossed. I will check into it. We are an hour away from any big shops. I will try to make a couple calls tomorrow. I appreciate ALL the help