1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. New to this tuner stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Kwalls9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please. New to this tuner stuff

So I just bought a H&S Mini Maxx tuner and it came in today I also purchased a DPF cat delete pipe. My delete pipes doesn’t come in until Tuesday ( 3 days.) now the real issue, my egr cooler is either going out or it went out. It was blowing white smoke and there wasn’t coolant in my degas bottle. It wasn’t a crazy amount of white smoke, but it also went into regen mode while all of this happen and wasn’t able to complete process. It was extremely cold out at that time as well, my questions are, 1) can I take out my DPF and cat temporarily until my delete pipes come in so I can run the truck with no emmissions (egr delete and DPF delete)
2) how do would I go about doing this process? Do I do the deletes then install the tuner for no DPF no egr or do I install tuner with emmissions and the take it all off and change it to dog egr remover?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 PM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If I am understanding your questions correctly
1) yes you could go ahead and remove the emissions and tune the truck before you receive the delete pipe however it will be a bit obnoxious to drive, and will likely leave a black mess under the truck depending on which tune you use.
2) in my opinion, you could put a tune on the truck and leave the emissions equipment in for a day or two until your pipe arrives. Be warned that the DPF will continue to clog and raise exhaust back pressure, EGTs, etc. Not a good situation.

If you have the egr delete kit I would go ahead and install this without any tune (keep the DPF on) and then drive the truck to 1-see if white smoke is gone and 2-complete a full regen. Yes your engine light will come on and the code will be lack of egr flow, but it wont stop you from getting around.

Best scenario - park the truck until you have the parts and do it properly.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Kwalls9
New User
I don’t have a egr delete kit just yet. I was hoping that deleting the DPF and run a delete through the tuner for the egr would stop the smoking. It’s not even 100% guarantee that the egr cooler is bad, I started it yesterday and ran in (not for long at all) and it didn’t have any smoke. I just don’t want to run it and end up blowing a head gasket. Checked the oil when all of this happen and it was black as night.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Kwalls9
New User
Another thing, do I need to unplug all of the sensors along the exhaust? To tell the tuner and truck it’s deleted? Or is there a certain sensor I can unplug and it’ll relay that message?

Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM
73F700
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Leave all the sensors plugged in. You talk to the computer through the tuner and once you have completed the tune the computer will ignore any sensors that it doesn't need. If your delete pipe doesn't have bungs for the sensors then just tie them up out of the way where you can get to them if you ever need to go back to stock.

The tuner should close the egr valve if you have it on a tune that disables the egr. Someone else can comment that is more up to speed with H&S, on mine the lowest tunes, Easy tunes, keeps the EGR functional. The mild or the hot damn tunes disable the egr however this only closes the valve that is at the top of the engine. If your egr coolers do fail then coolant can still enter your engine while the truck is sitting by going backwards through the turbos.

I would find out if there is another issue that needs fixed and address it. A tune to disable egr is not a good fix if your coolers are one the way out. You can make your own block off plates and slip them in the ends of the coolers as added protection. Start by topping off the degas and keep an eye on it.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:47 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What year truck we talking about.....I'm assuming 08-10 with the 6.4? If truck had just started a regen, white smoke is normal sometimes when regen first starts....most likely more noticeable in colder weather I would think.

No coolant in degas bottle could be caused by a few things. Leaking rad is quite common. Older style hoses had single o ring design and were prone to leaking as well.

It's recommended to install the tune before removing the DOC and DPF. The reason behind this is......if for whatever reason the tuner won't load into the truck you can still drive it. If you remove the exhaust first and tuner won't load....you can't drive truck as it will be in permanent regen, and without the DPF in place...well I'm sure you know what the high heat/flames will do to the underside of the truck. Once tuner is installed on truck, then yes you can drive it with the exhaust removed.....keep in mind the exhaust will exit right under the cab though.

73F700 is correct...easy tunes cycle the EGR valve at idle if I remember correctly. Mild or Hot Damn tunes disable it completely.