How on earth did he do this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM
MetroSteel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if any F-xxx truck wouldve stopped that trailer or not flipped over in this situation. Ive had three F350 DRW’s. They definitely felt more stable when towing but then I never tow the kind of weight that he was or had to panic stop.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
these trailer dealers should be responsible for what they sell.
Back when I had my 07 6.0, we had gone RV shopping (wife and I). Before even understanding all the whole weight ratings that I do now, we were looking for something my F250 was not rated for. The dealer asked for my year, make, model, engine and looked it up on the computer. He stated to me, you can only do X amount and we will not allow you to tow anything more off the lot.

Now on the same side, they did say that they would deliver it to me at my house, but would not allow me to drive off their lot with anything over my rating hooked to my truck because they did not want any liability of something happened.

At least they were honest and upfront with me. I'm sure there are MANY dealers out there that will just sell a trailer to someone with a truck underrated like this.

But I also believe that someone spending this much money and these mods knew damn well what he was doing.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When we had our first 6.0 we bought a 5er, of course our dealer said oh 6.0 Diesel 250, yeah no problem with any thing we sell, I learned real quick it was a problem, a 40 ft 5er on a 250 was way over weight, we got rid of it and moved to a Class A moho.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:19 AM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
Back when I had my 07 6.0, we had gone RV shopping (wife and I). Before even understanding all the whole weight ratings that I do now, we were looking for something my F250 was not rated for. The dealer asked for my year, make, model, engine and looked it up on the computer. He stated to me, you can only do X amount and we will not allow you to tow anything more off the lot.

Now on the same side, they did say that they would deliver it to me at my house, but would not allow me to drive off their lot with anything over my rating hooked to my truck because they did not want any liability of something happened.

At least they were honest and upfront with me. I'm sure there are MANY dealers out there that will just sell a trailer to someone with a truck underrated like this.

But I also believe that someone spending this much money and these mods knew damn well what he was doing.
I would buy from that dealer. He will be in the minority of and seems to either have a sore butt from a lawsuit or integrity. The pin weight on the trailers is getting ridiculous

Brett

Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MetroSteel
I wonder if any F-xxx truck wouldve stopped that trailer or not flipped over in this situation. Ive had three F350 DRW’s. They definitely felt more stable when towing but then I never tow the kind of weight that he was or had to panic stop.
Don't know how this plays.. F250/F350 SRW have vacuum boost brakes.. F350DRW and F450 have Hydro boost. F250 and F350 SRW/DRW have the same brake size.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Ran right over himself!!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
Don't know how this plays.. F250/F350 SRW have vacuum boost brakes.. F350DRW and F450 have Hydro boost. F250 and F350 SRW/DRW have the same brake size.
When did that start? I thought all 99 and newer Ford diesels had hydro boost, it would be dumb to switch back to a vacuum booster on a diesel.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:58 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 00t444e
When did that start? I thought all 99 and newer Ford diesels had hydro boost, it would be dumb to switch back to a vacuum booster on a diesel.
I was pulling my info from the Ford fleet guide. Here is the link and some screen shots I just took.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ps_-_Specs.pdf

F350 SRW

F350DRW

F450

Old 12-31-2017, 11:05 AM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
So the new 6.7 f250s have vacuum boost brakes? Does it get vacuum from a belt driven vacuum pump or the tiny electric one that's for the hvac vents and esof? Running a vacuum brake booster on an electric vacuum pump sounds like a bad idea.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:22 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Good question Ill have to look. Edit:
Engine, non belt, driven Vacuum pump.

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
A little more info on the parts.. You can see Master Cylinders without hyrdoboost and on the bottom right is a vacuum pump part.

Then there are ones with the hydro boost. So the confusion continues lol.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread a little..

Old 12-31-2017, 11:51 AM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by MetroSteel
Great question. I bet this truck was in a turn, and the trailer pushed him over. A dually may have been better, due to the wider stance, but not immune to flipping.

On a straight stop, it's just braking power. The trailer would be pushing the bed down harder.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
I don't believe he was in a turn, from reading comments on the video, it appears he was braking straight and the truck turning over didn't start till he went through the light and got hit in the left side bed of the truck. That turned the truck and started the flip. I would expect the trailer to go over as well though, I just thought it was strange it didn't flip as well. Oh and the comments said they were heading back from Glamis so the TH was probably loaded with toys and fuel for them.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:05 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
Upsets balance and changes the center of gravity?

I agree, it changes the balance and therefore the amount of cargo that can be stowed to the rear of the trailer’s axles. As the pin on the fiver is raised the center of gravity moves to the rear. Older tongue pulled trailers can suffer from a phenomenon known as resonance. Trailers with more weight to the rear of the axles would oscillate from side to side (pivoting on the axles), especially under heavy braking, resulting in the tow vehicle rolling. I witnessed this years ago, an old Suburban was towing a mobile home, go figure. That is why in the mid to late 2000’s new tongue pulled travel trailers were designed with the axles farther to the rear.

Fifth wheels do not normally suffer the phenomenon since the forward weight is applied directly over the truck’s axle and the trailer axles are well to the rear. I’m not claiming that excessive weight to the rear of the trailer axles contributed to the truck flipping, I don’t have the engineering skills to compose an accurate calculation. I am just putting forth the scenario that excessive weight to the rear of the axles due to the higher pin connection point (taller tires, lift kit and the ride comfort air bag) caused the tow vehicle to lose control by decreasing it’s rear axle traction. Ineffective braking or loss of lateral control for example.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:23 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
Those rails are not bolted to the bed of the truck. They are bolted to brackets that are bolted to the frame of the truck. One bed rail was still in place, while the other remained attached to the hitch. A good indication of the forces at work.

It could be interesting to go back and try to identify the rated capacity of the hitch, though I didn't really see any kind of label on it.

I have an older version of the model, mine is 14K GVWR, newer models are 15.5K GVWR

Very easy tp bring them up over 17+ once you start loading them up.

Quick Reply: How on earth did he do this.